Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Do you carry "pepper spray" also when carrying a concealed weapon?

If you plan on carrying a concealed weapon, you should also carry pepper spray in the event that it (pepper spray) might be enough to control a potentially violent situation instead of using a gun?

This advice was given to me by several people one of them was a police officer.

So, one can conclude that if you're in a situation where you need to defend yourself, and busting out your gun would not be necessary, pepper spray would suffice?

Would pepper spray be best used if the assailant doesn't have a gun? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by dnar; April 3rd, 2007 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Failed to mention something.

(Perry County)

Default Re: Do you carry "pepper spray" also when carrying a concealed weapon?

I do not, but I know others have posted that they do. It would definately have its advantages...especially when it comes to an unarmed thug or an animal.

Dave G.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Allegheny County)

My friends and I always have spray with us. It bridges the gap between using lethal and non lethal force. A 2oz can of fox labs isn't an inconvenience at all, going to prison because you shot a guy that only needed sprayed, is an inconvenience.

the bare minimum for anyone carrying should be:

Gun (obviously)
    Atleast one spare mag
    Light of atleast 65 lumens (is it a guy with a knife, or the tow truck guy with a screwdriver)
    Spray (stated above)
    Knife (protects against gun grabs)

(York County)

So far, I haven't carried any type of non-lethal weapon (Mace, Pepper Spray...), but I do think it's a damn good idea.
    How much does pepper spray or Mace cost, anyway?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    How much does pepper spray or Mace cost, anyway?
    http://www.defensedevices.com/fox-pepper-spray1.html

Get the Cone/Fog one, as it's more readily inhaled.

BTW, there's a difference between mace and pepper spray. Mace is an irritant, Pepper Spray is an inflammatory agent. Unlike pepper spray mace will NOT cause inflammation of the capillaries causing temporary blindness, nausea, etc...

Mace has sort of become the generic term for pepper spray, sort of like how a tissue is now called Kleenex.

(Erie County)

I have not but have tossed the idea around before. I do carry a high intensity flashlight and a one hand opening knife even on the rare times when I'm not carrying concealed.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmateer View Post
    http://www.defensedevices.com/fox-pepper-spray1.html

Get the Cone/Fog one, as it's more readily inhaled.

BTW, there's a difference between mace and pepper spray. Mace is an irritant, Pepper Spray is an inflammatory agent. Unlike pepper spray mace will NOT cause inflammation of the capillaries causing temporary blindness, nausea, etc...

Mace has sort of become the generic term for pepper spray, sort of like how a tissue is now called Kleenex.

Thank you very much!

Yes, Go to defensedevices.com for a variety of products.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by autorim View Post
    Yes, Go to defensedevices.com for a variety of products.
    Thanks man for the info!

(Chester County)

I also carry pepper spray on a daily basis...and agree that Fox Labs has some great stuff. Depending on your environment, the cone/fog and the stream both have advantages and disadvantages: Cone/Fog: More readily inhaled, but in even moderately windy conditions you will most likely have some sprayed on yourself. It also has a shorter standoff distance. Stream: Less prone to "blowback" due to windy conditions and it sprays farther. Also...when dealing with Fox Labs....Ed is the President and a great guy...he's developed the stream pattern to be more like a "splatter stream"; so even though it's not a mist like the cone/fog, when the stream shoots out it has a splattering effect so that it is still readily absorbed by the bad guy. Just food for though. Oh...and one more thing...you can always go DIRECT to the manufacture (I believe it's www.foxlabs.net) and order from Ed!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast