Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Open Carry Conundrum

I read a few gun related forums daily. It seems there are a few topics that just keep recycling. They go away for a few days, and then bang just like magic they are back, kinda like the cable bill.
    One of the topics that I can't bear to see any longer are the arguments both for and against the open carry of a weapon. Here in Pennsylvania any non-exempt person is perfectly legal to openly carry a firearm without a permit,except in Philadelphia where a permit is required. That is the law. Period why should this be open to endless debate. There are passionate groups who are polarized on opposite sides of this discussion.

On one side are the folks who see the Constitutions of both the United States and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as sacrocinct and explicit. To these folks the law says what it means, and means what it says. "I have the right to openly carry my weapon, and I won't lay down that right". People in this camp can claim many reasons for taking this stance. These range from comfort or ease of carry, the political need to educate the sleeping masses of the unexercised rights they posess, or to simply get in the face of the avowed anti-gun Brady types. "Just because I can"

People in the other camp don't see it that way. These folks almost seem to be apologetic. "The police will hassle you and confiscate your weapon","Yes we have these rights, let's just lay low, if we make a big deal THEY will take them away". "If you openly carry your firearm the bad guys will target you first". . My all time favorite is " People who open carry are just " showing off " or have someting to prove".

If either argument is expressed openly in a forum, the response is swift. The folks with the opposing opinion are quick to act. It does not matter what side speaks first, a counter point will be posted ad infinitum .So it seems to me that this will never be "settled"

I think that BOTH sides are RIGHT.

1 We do have the right to openly carry a weapon. The law means what it says.

2. If the left feels that too many folks are exercising these rights, the may "TRY" to take them away. Oh wait a second, the Phillycrats are already trying

3. If more folks know they actually have these right, maybe the left won't have such an easy time taking them away.

4. Openly carrying a weapon may be tactically inferior, but in the end that is a personal choice. Do what works for you. ( you got my back, right)

5. To the police who would harrsass and confiscate I say " Ignorance of the law is no defense" and Your "OPINION" is not the law!

6. If open carry ultimately leads to a discussion of the issues, then democracy wins. If we cower in fear that the "State" may curtail our rights simply if we use them, then we never really had them.

7. People who openly carry "Are" showing off. So what. Shall we ban Cadillacs, diamonds, a big houses or beautiful women, after all anyone with them is also showing off. What is you point.

In the words of that great American , Rodney King "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?"
    Last edited by cz_40p; March 28th, 2007 at 09:14 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Open Carry Conundrum

Those threads go on forever for exactly the reason you stated: There is no right or wrong answer it is simply a matter of opinion and personal preference and we all know how opinionated firearm owners are
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Open Carry Conundrum

Hi all, first post! woo!

1 We do have the right to openly carry a weapon. The law means what it says.
    Yep. Do it.

2. If the left feels that too many folks are exercising these rights, the may "TRY" to take them away. Oh wait a second, the Phillycrats are already trying
    See number four.

3. If more folks know they actually have these right, maybe the left won't have such an easy time taking them away.
    again, number four!

4. Openly carrying a weapon may be tactically inferior, but in the end that is a personal choice. Do what works for you. ( you got my back, right)
    Open carry gives up the element of surprise. For me, personally, it shaves maybe a quarter-second off the draw (no garments to pull out of the way- but I won't open carry without retention, so I gotta haggle with the thumb break).

I've OC'd a few times, and I haven't done it for the tactical advantage. I've done it because it really stops people in their tracks to see a man with a gun NOT threatening people, NOT breaking the law. It's funny to watch people as you get your own money out of the ATM, or pick up some TGI Friday's (my fave) chicken wings at the acme. You're not stomping on babies, you're not wearing camo and drinking beer, you're a citizen with a gun and that bothers people. Bothering makes (some of) them THINK.

Concealed carry and open carry really aren't that different from a defense standpoint. What OC really does is help to normalize the idea of carrying a gun. And that's why I do it.

5. To the police who would harrsass and confiscate I say " Ignorance of the law is no defense" and Your "OPINION" is not the law!
    In my limited experience, I have not yet run into a police officer while OCing, except when I was hanging out at the range (and then they were off duty and OCing themselves). Kindly remember to go with 'em as they ask, or you'll get other charges slapped on - OC itself is not illegal, but they may well be looking for a reason to nab you! Make sure you're squeaky :-D

6. If open carry ultimately leads to a discussion of the issues, then democracy wins. If we cower in fear that the "State" may curtail our rights simply if we use them, then we never really had them.
    THIS GUY FOR THE WIN

7. People who openly carry "Are" showing off. So what. Shall we ban Cadillacs, diamonds, a big houses or beautiful women, after all anyone with them is also showing off. What is you point.
    Lord, yes. It's only bad if you pursue style over substance (so leave the gold plated desert eagle at home, k?)