Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Smith & Wesson's Customer Service

I own a Walther P22 target model, which has a 5" barrel, the last inch and a half covered by a stabilizer. In case you didn't know, Smith & Wesson are the people with all the import rights and who services Walther pistols here in the US. The stabilizer is held in place by 2 allen screws, one of which ended up stripped (I bought the gun used). I called and asked for some specs, so I could get some screws that wouldn't loosen so easily after a bunch of rounds. Now the guy that answered the phone, wasn't the smartest because he told me to put lock-tite on the screws. If I put the type that formed a permanent bond, it could be a huge problem because you have to take off the stabilizer every time you clean the pistol, lol, so that wouldn't work out too well. He then gave the phone to someone who did know what they were talking about, and this particular man was very helpful. He got the screws to me in 3 days, no charge. Very helpful, even if the first guy wasn't that specific about what he was telling me, and could really cause someone to screw up their pistol. Anyway, they were very quick, and courteous. Just wanted to pass that along.

(Bucks County)

In a nutshell then, you were pleased with their service? I didn't know they did the Walthers, doesn't matter much to me though since I don't own any, yet. Thanks for sharing what seems like a good experience.
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

Yes, I was pretty satisfied with their customer service. They were really nice, courteous and especially speedy. They also didn't charge me a thing, when some companies might have tried to sell me a part, etc.

Default An AMerican Icon!

http://www.highbeam.com/library/docF...D=1G1:19767928 The Glock vs. Smith & Wesson lawsuit is history. After nearly three years of legal posturing, S&W has agreed to a multimillion dollar settlement and a slight modification to the Sigma Series Pistols.
    To no one's surprise, Glock sued Smith & Wesson in early 1994. claiming "tortious acts, including without limitations, patent infringement, federal unfair competition, common unfair competition and deceptive trade practices."
    S&W returned the salvo with "We firmly believe the suit to be totally without merit and will act accordingly."
    Glock also sent an ultimatum to its dealers, giving them 15 days to decide on which to ca,y, the Glock or the Sigma. "If your decision is to continue to distribute Smith & Wesson products, your contractual relationship with Glock Inc. will be terminated," read the message.
    In the end, Smith and Wesson agreed to "remove the surface located below the sear in the Sigma Series Pistols, which Glock contends is a positive guide means, and Glock has agreed that such a modification would resolve the patent infringement claim."
    While no one in an official position is willing to say how much S&W will pay Glock, informed sources put the figure at between $5 and $8 million.
    Can you mimagine this, S&W's Sigma series per Glock is too close a copy yet after having to pay millions in fines, and court fees, the Sigma remains about half the price of the Glock. I can imagine how much their advertizing must cost them as you have about Glock every where.

I own a Sigma 9mm and can say so far so good, for me the fit is much better then the Glock, the grip is rounder and fits my hand much better.

Service side, I have never had a problem with S&W. In my model 66 I had a broken sear from the time i purchased it 2nd hand. Seems the person who owned it before me wanted a longer sear hand and struck it with a hammer, when i explained this to S&W, they promptly sent me a sear and sear hand FOC. All i had to pay was shipping and that was minimal.

No wonder Smith & Wesson is an American Icon, and so many others are trying hard to get a piece of their market.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

right. I can't believe the price stayed the same either, and never knew about that lawsuit. I believe Smith & Wesson is an American icon and will remain it for a while, because those of us who have had experiences with them are very pleased. I mean how many people are that happy when they have to get some replacement part, and here we are giving them free advertisement. BUY SMITH & WESSON, IF IT EVER BREAKS, THEY'LL HOOK YOU UP!! lol

Angry Re: Smith & Wesson's Customer Service

Smith & Wesson quality contol and customer service is lousy! I purchased a new M&P 15A (rifle) amost three weeks ago. Was sold on the name, the dealer said it was hand fitted and tested at the factory. Well, I tried to test fire it at home using three different brands of ammo. Would not fire one round. I took it back to the dealer (largest gun dealer in Cincinnati). Their gunsmith looked at it but could not determine what was wrong. So the Smith&Wesson regional rep was called.
    Said no problem wil get you a return call tag to return to factory. I called the dealer again and was told yeah it should be coming in a couple of days. (It has been almost three weeks since I put out $980 for this gun and still don't even have authorization to return it to the factory). The dealer just laughs and says that it takes up to 6 months for S&W to return firearms to him! The dealer has my money, the S&W Rep just doesn't care, and calling customer service at S&W only gets me a "we can't do a thing until the gun is returned! I'm left with a cheap plastic gun case, a cheap manual and a made in china lock for $980!!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Smith & Wesson's Customer Service

That's amazing. I didn't have ANY problems returing my Sigma to them for service. They sent the authorization and shipping lable overnight mail. Then took 3 weeks from the time I shipped to the time I received my firearm back. They were VERY helpful. Most others that I talk to that have SW's have had a similar experience to mine. I have to say that yours is probably an aboration and not normal practice for SW.
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by halfrunner View Post
    Smith & Wesson quality contol and customer service is lousy! I purchased a new M&P 15A (rifle) amost three weeks ago. Was sold on the name, the dealer said it was hand fitted and tested at the factory. Well, I tried to test fire it at home using three different brands of ammo. Would not fire one round. I took it back to the dealer (largest gun dealer in Cincinnati). Their gunsmith looked at it but could not determine what was wrong. So the Smith&Wesson regional rep was called.
    Said no problem wil get you a return call tag to return to factory. I called the dealer again and was told yeah it should be coming in a couple of days. (It has been almost three weeks since I put out $980 for this gun and still don't even have authorization to return it to the factory). The dealer just laughs and says that it takes up to 6 months for S&W to return firearms to him! The dealer has my money, the S&W Rep just doesn't care, and calling customer service at S&W only gets me a "we can't do a thing until the gun is returned! I'm left with a cheap plastic gun case, a cheap manual and a made in china lock for $980!!
    Ive had EXCELLENT service from S&W. From what you've indicated, its sounding like a dealer issue (just because they are big, doesn't necessary mean they are looking out for your best interest)... You let the dealer handle the RMA, correct? The fact that S&W is saying they cant help untill they get the gun back... Have the dealer prove shipment and receipt to the factory. You gotta help yourself man.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by halfrunner View Post
    That sounds like your dealer is the problem. If I sold it to you I would have waited 1 or 2 days and either had the return label or I would have paid out of my own pocket to send it back. It is not a big deal 15 or 20 bucks ground. And I think that may be high if you have a UPS account.
    I have never had a problem with Smith and Wesson customer service other than waiting on hold for a long time.

(Monroe County)

I have not had any trouble with S&W's service. I own an M&P pro series that suffered from the failure to eject problem that many had. I called they sent me a box and got my gun back in working order.

My friend had the same problem and the gun went back and forth to smith several times. After the third time smith basically sent him a letter to piss off and there was nothing wrong with the gun. It took a very public conversation with a smith rep at a sanction IDPA match, but they did replace his gun and has been fine ever since.

Jahwarrior72 had issues with his sigma and smith hooked him up with nearly a whole new gun. HERE

Its annoying that smith can be hot and cold with customer service. Its cool that they stand behind a gun that isn't winning praise among competition shooters, but gave my friend such a hard time with his M&P.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast