Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cambria County)

Default Cambria County Courthouse Hassle. 1st time

Went to the Cambria County Courthouse to pick up my betterhalfs LTCF today. (YAHOO, YIPPEEE).

When I walked in I announced that I had a pistol I would like to lock up. The sheriff looked at me and said, "You have a pistol on you now?" I said [COLOR="Blue"]"Yes, I do." [/COLOR]"Well, I suggest you go put it back in your car." he tells me.

I looked at him a bit confused. I had never had any problem at this courthouse before. In fact I have praised them for how well they handle things. I see someone had to ruin a good thing.

I looked at him and said, "No, I would rather lock it up in one of the lock boxes that you guys provide for us."

He again says that, "I normally suggest that people lock them up in their vehicles." I look at him and say. "Your telling me you want me to place a pistol in my vehicle outside of the courthouse. What is keeping someone from breaking into my car, and getting at this pistol? No... I think I will lock it up in here thank you."

He looks at me and says "You got a permit to carry?" Now I am getting a bit miffed.

I looked at him and said. "What do you think? That I would walk into the Courthouse, announced to you that I have a pistol on me. And that I wouldn't have a permit to carry it. That would be pretty stupid wouldn't it."

He looks at me and ask to see my permit. I give it to him and explain that I have never had to do this before. "Do What?!" He says, and I can tell he isn't happy with me at all. "Have to show anyone my permit. I have been in the courthouse numerous times with no problem what so ever until today." I tell him.

He heads over to the lock boxes and says, "OK, you want to come over here and unload that thing?"

I stop and stare once more. "And do you have a place that I can safely do that?" He just stares at me for a second. "I would rather not be racking the action on my pistol standing here in the entrance to the Courthouse with all these people standing around. That isn't what I would consider to be a very safe thing to do. Now, if you have someplace I can safely unload my pistol. I have no problems doing that."

He stares at me for a second, again. I can see he realizes how bad an idea that was. "OK, just bring it over here." I walk over. Place my pistol and extra magazine in the lock box. I watch him lock it up. And finally go on about getting my betterhalf her LTCF.

Very unprofessional. First time I ever had any problems. I wonder if he was new. And no, I didn't get his name, and I thought about doing that while waiting all of 15 minutes to get my betterhalfs LTCF. But once we got it. I was so happy for her, I forgot all about the idiot out front.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

Default Re: Cambria County Courthouse Hassle. 1st time

This was the sheriff or a deputy?
    FUCK BIDEN

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    This was the sheriff or a deputy?
    His patch said Sheriffs Dept. That is all I caught during the discussion. I know it wasn't the Big Dog himself. So, it must of been one of his minions.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    His patch said Sheriffs Dept. That is all I caught during the discussion. I know it wasn't the Big Dog himself. So, it must of been one of his minions.
    Must be a new guy.

My general observations are that a lot of the young guys get out of the "academy" having freshly been scared shitless of the general public by a few months of training. Every traffic stop is a potential deadly situation, they watch tapes of fellow offcers getting killed, etc. What seems to end up happening is since the citizenry has to be viewed the "enemy," a lot of these guys end up treating the citzenry as the enemy for a long time.

Once they mature a little more and gain more confidence it often goes away. In some it never does. There no rule that says you can't be high speed, low drag in capability, but polite as pie and the type of people you'd want to have a beer at the bar with as a person. I met a sergeant of a local force like that yesterday at a courthouse in Montco. I think he got promoted because he could (a) do the job really well and (b) do it without being a prick. His sidekick detective was the opposite. Incompetent plus a total prick.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    Must be a new guy.
    I agree. I'm hoping he ask some questions after this run in. But I doubt it.

(Indiana County)

How about making a copy of your original posting and sending that to the Cambria County Sheriff? Point out that it's not a Major Complaint but you think some training might be in order. Add that, based on your calculations, there are approximately 11,538 people in Cambria County with LTCFs, many of whom may wish to check their firearms at the County Court House, and the sheriff really doesn't need more complaints.