Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default For All Those That Need To Learn About AR's And The M4 In General!!!!

Thought I would take the time to mention the latest issue of Combat Tactics. In the issue Rob S from M4carbine.net breaks down "The Chart".

It is a very well written article and I highly recommend reading it if you are trying to navigate the crazy world of AR's. He breaks down every part of the operating system and the variances between manufactures in a very simple and easy to digest overview.

It will give you great knowledge on the "what" and "why" of AR's. I looked for a link but could not come up with one, if I find something I will add it to this thread.

The magazine is the one that is to be on display until 2/3/09 and has a XDm .40 on the cover. I highly recommend you take the time to pick it up as it has some extremely helpful info for all who are interested in the platform.

Default Re: For All Those That Need To Learn About AR's And The M4 In General!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    Thought I would take the time to mention the latest issue of Combat Tactics. In the issue Rob S from M4carbine.net breaks down "The Chart".

It is a very well written article and I highly recommend reading it if you are trying to navigate the crazy world of AR's. He breaks down every part of the operating system and the variances between manufactures in a very simple and easy to digest overview.

It will give you great knowledge on the "what" and "why" of AR's. I looked for a link but could not come up with one, if I find something I will add it to this thread.

The magazine is the one that is to be on display until 2/3/09 and has a XDm .40 on the cover. I highly recommend you take the time to pick it up as it has some extremely helpful info for all who are interested in the platform.
    While I like the chart for sake of quality...I think there's a lot of elitism in it. I've seen guns break from many manufacturers. You can find it over on m4carbine.net for the whole list

And I've seen "shit" guns go round after round, and I've seen them break too.

So in my mind the tiers dont mean much beyond a baseline maybe.

Default Re: For All Those That Need To Learn About AR's And The M4 In General!!!!

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to pick it up. I'm an AR newbie, and need all the help I can get.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    While I like the chart for sake of quality...I think there's a lot of elitism in it. I've seen guns break from many manufacturers. You can find it over on m4carbine.net for the whole list

And I've seen "shit" guns go round after round, and I've seen them break too.

So in my mind the tiers dont mean much beyond a baseline maybe.

You might want to check it out. I think you will be surprised at its contents. I agree with you that there are exceptions but I also think the more educated you are the easier it will be to find the rifle that is right for you. Sometimes just understanding every part can help in choosing what is important to you in your new AR.

You might want to check it out. I think you will be surprised at its contents. I agree with you that there are exceptions but I also think the more educated you are the easier it will be to find the rifle that is right for you. Sometimes just understanding every part can help in choosing what is important to you in your new AR.
    I understand the parts and manufacturers, I've torn my AR down to nothing and rebuilt it a few times with different parts. I dont have the money to blow on part after part so I do heavy research before I fork out any cash.

Like I said though, that list shows a lot of elitism in it, there's other posts over there that are a lot more thought out (the "oh no I bought a RRA/STAG etc when I should have bought a LMT/BCM/COLT" thread is one of the better ones, but the thread itself shows the bias.)

I've not seen any major catastrophic failures due to the lower receiver being one company or not (beyond report of hesse junk). Stag's have a great reputation, as do RRA but you're going to get a few lemons that squeeze through QA here or there, it's how the company reacts is how you judge them)

I know folks who run their stags, RRA's, Anvil's just as hard as colt or lmt, and they go bang just the same.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I understand the parts and manufacturers, I've torn my AR down to nothing and rebuilt it a few times with different parts. I dont have the money to blow on part after part so I do heavy research before I fork out any cash.

Like I said though, that list shows a lot of elitism in it, there's other posts over there that are a lot more thought out (the "oh no I bought a RRA/STAG etc when I should have bought a LMT/BCM/COLT" thread is one of the better ones, but the thread itself shows the bias.)

I've not seen any major catastrophic failures due to the lower receiver being one company or not (beyond report of hesse junk). Stag's have a great reputation, as do RRA but you're going to get a few lemons that squeeze through QA here or there, it's how the company reacts is how you judge them)

I know folks who run their stags, RRA's, Anvil's just as hard as colt or lmt,
    and they go bang just the same.

First off I understand your point on bias in regards to manufactures. But you are missing the point of the post and the article.

Not one time is a manufacture mentioned in the article. The article breaks down the components of the chart not the companies involved.

Like I said I think you might be surprised at the contents. You might already know everything about the subject and maybe it wouldn't be for you.

First off I understand your point on bias in regards to manufactures. But you are missing the point of the post and the article.

Not one time is a manufacture mentioned in the article. The article breaks down the components of the chart not the companies involved.

Like I said I think you might be surprised at the contents. You might already know everything about the subject and maybe it wouldn't be for you.
    The chart is referred to many times over (have you seen the chart at m4c.net?) and it's definitely about manufacturers where it was posted.

The article may be written objectively with regards to parts only..if so, then good find. But the source to it is definitely biased to some degree.

(Cambria County)

Link/s please?

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?...ufacturer+list

there's the list with the many pages of discussing why x is better than y

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    Link/s please?

The article is not available, the magazine was just released. The article is about the left side of the chart and has nothing to do with the individual brands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast