Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default question about sportsmans clubs.

I might be a little out of line to ask this, but here goes. Why do so many clubs require a sponsoring member. I realize they want to be a private organizations, but it frustrating for someone who is still fairly new to the area to be able to enjoy their hobby. I understand I am being bitter, but there just seems to be no way to get into one of these clubs which means off to the game lands range. I really don't care for the idea of going out there due to some of the stories I have heard. It might be better now, but I really don't want to find out

Sorry just had to vent. Looked at too many applications that required a sponsor member. The internet is a blessing and a curse.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: question about sportsmans clubs.

Well..because often times we vote people in without ever seeing them. Attendance at club meetings can be notoriously low.

The solution is pretty easy. Call them up and say you're looking to join a club and ask to come to a meeting. They will likely be delighted and hook you up on the spot.

(Washington County)

Most clubs require a sponsor as a screening method. Basically, it's having a reference to vouch for the applicants character and make sure they're not going to be a liability to the club. See if the club has any events open to the public, attend one and try to find a member who'd sponsor you. Or contact the club, explain your situation and see if they have a way around it.

Most of the new applicants at my club don't know any members, so I usually meet with them and sponsor them based on that.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Berks County)

I just joined a club last month. Although I did have a sponsor who was a member of the club, there were many people who attended the meeting knowing no one, in the hopes of getting a membership anyway. When it came time to review the applications for membership, those that didn't have a sponsor were readily sponsored by members in the room.

In the end, the members respected the fact that people were interested enough in a membership that they attended the meeting anyway, despite the possibility that they could have been turned away. In fact, none of the applicants, sponsor or not, were denied membership.

Take it FWIW, this is just one club out of many. However, in my experience the firearms community is a fairly good group of people.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Beaver County)

I joined 2 clubs in the mannor that bloom described-to me it wasn't a big deal, because I really wanted to shoot. My observations from both situations were the same, some psuedo power trip, "look I brought in a new member". I don't get it. I understand that PMSC has posted somewhere a sponsor requirement=however I can honestly tell you there is not, Just ask the high child here. Not to get off subject, do what Bloom suggesed, show up, look for someone who looks like their in charge and tell your new and want to join, or better yet you want to see the facilities in operation and when is the best time to do that, before I givbe you my $. I think most clubs would be willing to show you around and what they offer.

(Lehigh County)

I called the local clubs and went down during a club shoot were i talked to a member who sponsored me on the spot. I think it is just that they want to meet the people first.