Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Looking for a Compact Pistol for Concealed Carry

It should be noted this pistol will most likely be carried IWB under an untucked shirt. I typically wear jeans and t-shirts, sometimes button western-style or polo-style shirts. As for carrying backup magazines, I'd much rather carry spare single-stacks than chunky doubles. That said, I'm leaning more towards single-stack designs, although doubles that are thin enough are still under consideration.

Here are a few I'm considering:

Baby GLOCK: 27 (.40 S&W) or 36 (slimline .45 Auto). Very small, 9+1 in .40 - 6+1 in .45.- Pros: very small, concealable, light, good capacity, extremely simple method of operation and reliability, good choice of holsters, ability to take readily available larger backup mags (27), 36 is single stack making it slimmer, could probably find one at a good price new/used.
    - Cons: Smallish grip, inability to take larger mags (36), Glocks are still sort of chunky and I think there are slimmer more concealable guns around. Semi-expensive new.

Compact GLOCK: 19 (9mm) or 23 (.40 S&W)
    - Pros: Lightweight, excellent capacity, reliable, good choice of holsters, extremely simple method of operation and reliability. Ability to take readily available larger mags, could find a new/used one for a good price.
    - Cons: May be a bit too big for a very concealable gun. Semi-expensive new.

Kahr Arms: K9/P9 (9mm) or K40/P40 (.40 S&W)
    - Pros: Choice of stainless or polymer frame, single stack design - slim and concealable, extremely simple method of operation, decent magazine capacity (6 or 7+1 rounds in .40, 7 or 8+1 in 9mm).
    - Cons: Expensive ($780-900 based on options such as night sights), LOOOONG trigger pull.

SIG GSR C3 (1911 Commander 4" barrel style): .45 ACP
    - Pros: Feels like sex in my hand (I mean PERFECT feel), SIG reliability and accuracy, Novak night sights standard, lightweight alloy frame, good choice of holsters, power of .45 ACP, looks awesome!
    - Cons: SA - not used to SA guns, would take training to use, expensive practice/carry ammo, expensive ($900+!).

NOTE: Any other suggestions on Commander 4" size 1911s are welcome at a lower price point, with similar features to the GSR C3 - Lightweight frame, checkering on front/rear grip straps, night sights, etc.

SIG P239: .40 S&W
    - Pros: Single stack, small relatively snag-free form factor, reliable, SA/DA operation w/ decocker.
    - Cons: Limited capacity (6+1), moderately expensive ($650-750), I've never actually handled one so I don't know how it feels in my hand.

Ruger SP101: .357 Magnum
    - Pros: Double Action Revolver - how can you get more reliable than that? Good power, low-profile sights, looks extremely awesome, 3-1/16" or 2-1/2" barrel (concealable), not expensive ($430-500).
    - Cons: Limited capacity (5 rounds), crappy stock grips (not a huge concern since they can be easily replaced with Hogue, Pachmayr, etc.).

Pistols I have handled that I DO NOT LIKE:
    - Kel-Tec P3AT
    - Ruger LCP
    - S&W M&P 9C
    - All Springfield XDs
    - SKYY/SCCY CPX-1

Features that I did not like: Magazine disconnect safety - this is the most retarded feature I have ever heard of on a defensive feature. Excessive controls - CC guns should be KISS. Cheap feel - I want something that is going to be rock-solid reliable and go *BANG* every time (as much as realistically possible, I realize failures happen even in revolvers). Crappy sights.

I know that was long-winded, but I'd appreciate input from you guys! Any suggestions are welcome so long as they don't meet the criteria listed at the bottom of this post - unless you have an overwhelmingly convincing reason!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Looking for a Compact Pistol for Concealed Carry

My chose a Glock and I'm very happy with it. I also really like the Sig 239, it is much much prettier, but funtionally a bit heavy for the capacity. I have a Glock 23 that suits me to a T.
    "Things have taken a turn for the surreal." - Capt. John Miller

(Centre County)

Have you looked at the Taurus PT745? 6+1, 45acp, low cost, lots of IWB holsters (Supertuck for one), small, single stack mags.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

No I haven't looked at the Taurus. I'll have to remember that model number and check it out.

If you noticed I have a lot of .40 S&W guns up there, a few 9mms two .45s and a .357 respectively. This is because I already own 2 .40 S&W and 2 9mm handguns, and would like to keep buying a few ammo types in bulk.

However, I have shot a few 1911s in .45 and the recoil was like nothing! Probably due to all the weight...

NotNearPhilly Guest

I wouldn't recommend the Ruger SP101. It's a great gun but not so great for CC. It's kind of chunky and heavy for that. I wish I'd gotten two of them though (the old grips).

(Lackawanna County)

How about a CZ RAMI?
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in Pennsylvania View Post
    How about a CZ RAMI?
    Don't forget the CZ 57B compact.

17 rounds of protection, double single action no safeties.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

My current Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel is one of my favorite handguns of all time. It's powerful, comfortable to shoot, accurate, and in my hands it is, for whatever reason, a gun I just hit very well with. It is heavier than some (most) other snubnose revolvers, and a couple ounces heavier than a Glock 19, but that weight contributes to the nice shooting qualities. I do not find it too heavy for concealed carry, but it's not a pocket gun! I do know there are other grips available, though I'm a fan of the stock grips. They fit my hands well. Haven't tried the Hogues, though they have been recommended to me. I wrote a review on this site, which you can find here: http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/26...el-review.html

I used to own a Sig P239. Only reason I sold it is we had a need for funds on short notice. It was reliable, accurate, and a joy to carry. Again, you can find lighter guns, but I like a slightly heavier gun because I enjoy shooting them more. It's not to heavy to carry. I'd LOVE to have another.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Allegheny County)

The guns you listed are all VERY different. Are all the guns you listed guns you liked after firing them, or just based on reading about them? I think shooting them, either by finding someone to let you shoot theirs, or by renting one at a range that does that, will help you narrow your choices considerably. Do you want a SA, DA-SA, DAO, or striker fired "none of the above"? What caliber?

(Allegheny County)

How about Taurus's 1911? Lots of nice features for not a lot of money. Solid gun. You can get night sights on it, mine has them.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast