Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Maryland carry permit ***UPDATE!!!***

***Go to post number 69 for breaking news!***

So does ANYONE on here have one? And if so what reasoning was used to obtain it and how did you document it? Anyone have some experience with this or tried it? Any cases of being denied and did they say why?

I'm trying to get some first hand info on the subject. I know its very unlikely for most people to get one due to Md's insanely unconstitutional handgun policies. I've read through the application several times and I think I can meet all the criteria that it says is required. I do own a small business in addition to having a full-time job. And I think I can come up with all the documentation they ask for. I can produce deposit slips and invoices but they are not All necessarily large amounts, however it does not specify anything about amount on the app. Just simply states random deposit slips. I have a couple 'large' ones (at least to me they are) but not all of them are. I figure the fact that I'm out of state will also not help. I'm fully aware that it will most likely end up being a huge waste of time and money (112 bucks non-refundable even if denied). But something inside me says it would be worth it just to push the system if nothing else. I probably have a better chance at winning the lottery but hey, at least theres a chance. Anyone have any helpful insight that may build some more faith in me to at least try?
    Last edited by bighornjd; May 13th, 2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: UPDATE
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Default Re: Maryland carry permit

I actually know people who have and had 1..........

(York County)

I know ONE person that has one but he lives in MD and has had it a long time. I need to get in touch with him and have a talk...

If you know people, do you have an idea how hard it was for them to get? Thanks.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

(Franklin County)

There was a guy that had one at the Leesburg OC lunch a while back. He showed it to me and basically said he got it because he knew someone in the MSP.

Quote Originally Posted by bighornjd View Post
    I know ONE person that has one but he lives in MD and has had it a long time. I need to get in touch with him and have a talk...

If you know people, do you have an idea how hard it was for them to get? Thanks.
    The person who has one, retired from MDSP, couldn't get one till he prooved his own business required carrying cash.
    The other let his NON-RES. expire ??????? He was #2 non-res. holder.

(York County)

Smile Re: Maryland carry permit

I moved to Maryland from western Pa back in 1985 and lived there for 22 years. I worked with a person who also lived in Maryland and wanted an LTC but was denied in 1986. I don't know if the laws have changed but back then you either needed to be a store owner that made nightly deposits or had a damn good reason why you needed an LTC. Like I said I don't know if the laws have changed. I sold my handgun when I moved to Maryland because the state was so anal with their gun laws. Now that I am back in PA I bought 2 new handguns and applied for my LTC

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post
    ... I don't know if the laws have changed but back then you either needed to be a store owner that made nightly deposits...
    So, does that mean it's legal to use deadly force to prevent a robbery in MD...unlike in PA?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    So, does that mean it's legal to use deadly force to prevent a robbery in MD...unlike in PA?
    I surrender every time someone points their index finger in my direction with their thumb sticking straight up, or if you be a banger, sideways. Does the alleged robber have a deadly weapon? What are you saying? I can't protect myself in PA if someone is allegedly about to assualt me with a deadly weapon to relieve me of my property?

As a MD resident I've had a lot of frustration with this myself. The problem with MD is that it would be a shall-issue state, if not for this little part: "[you] must have a good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun."

Here's a law that was proposed to refund application fees to people who apply for permits and get denied: http://mlis.state.md.us/2008rs/fnote...001/hb1061.pdf

Here is the actual Criminal Law statute regarding who may carry a handgun and when: http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/statutes...Extension=HTML

Here's how it is as I understand it:

MD has no residency requirement to obtain a Permit to Carry a Handgun - however since they don't honor permits from ANY OTHER STATE getting one is damned difficult if not impossible. I have heard of people such as armored truck drivers that live in another state or do business across lines obtaining them, but outside of that scope I'm not too sure.

My best friend recently opened a business and called the MSP to ask what the requirements are. If you are a business owner, you can carry openly/concealed on any property that you own/lease without a permit. However to obtain a permit you must have receipts proving you make 6 or more "large deposits" a month, for 6 months or more before being able to apply. "Large" is apparently subjective, as there is no legal written definition as to what a "large deposit" is...

The other option is to have *multiple* threats against your life, with the person threatening to kill you listed on a protective/restraining order who would typically have a warrant out for his/her arrest - of course backed up by police reports and witnesses/references to be interviewed by the MSP.

Good luck!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Maryland has the Castle Doctrain.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast