Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default .380 Defensive Round Question

I hate to ask a question that's probably been asked hundreds of times, but I'm having little luck with the search feature.

I carry a Walther PPK, which is a .380. I can't conceal a larger gun, and I can't afford one even if I could.

When I first started carrying, I searched the internet a bit to find out which load to carry, and I ended up picking .380 Federal 90gr Hydra-shok bullets. Now, after lurking these forums a bit, I found that members here seem to advise against this load—especially for the .380. They then link to performance tests sites.

I don't know what to make of these performance testing sites. They give a bunch of numbers, like penetration/expansion, but I'm not sure what optimal results are. Do I want them to penetrate a lot? A little? Somewhere in between? I'd assume somewhere in between, but I'm not sure exactly where.

For people that have researched all this, what load do you recommend carrying if not Federal Hydra-shoks? A lot of people here recommend carrying FMJ for more penetration—what kind of FMJ should I look for? I hear "Golden Saber" come up a lot…but is that a FMJ?

Thanks for your help! This post ended up being a lot longer than I intended, but I realized I knew much less than I thought I did.

Default Re: .380 Defensive Round Question

Preferably, you want penetration AND expansion, expansion doesn't do much if it can't penetrate deep enough to do major damage.

Regarding expansion, bigger wound tracts are bigger wound tracts, that's why we want JHPS.

If you have to choose one or the other, I'd go penetration so the chance of a vital hit will increase.

The Golden Saber is a JHP that weighs in at 102grains as opposed to the 90gr variety commonly found amongst .380 ammo offerings.

As you're carrying a PPK, I'd recommend checking out Buffalo Bore .380 ammo as it's reported to get better performance.

All that being said, I have no issue with carrying either 90gr Gold Dots or the 102gr Golden Saber and don't let the numbers mess with my head, if I do my job, the projectiles will do theirs.

The major concerns are that a slow .380 JHP may get "clogged"/loose energy negating penetration and expansion, that's why many choose to go with the FMJ ammo in an effort to get more penetration.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Allegheny County)

Ahhhhh....the old "what bullet" debate....always a catch-22. The lower the energy/penetration, the more important that shot placement becomes....................but shot placement is ALWAYS the most important factor, IMO!
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

(Luzerne County)

I have to agree with Bib. Hit the range- Hit your target. Aim small miss small! The bullet will do its job.

My bullet question assumes that I can place a shot well, of course.

Use a FMJ. The JHP from a .380 will open up on a coat and not enter the body.

Two in the chest and one in the head.

(Bedford County)

When the second amendment is gone, the rest won't mean a damn thing!

(Dauphin County)

I carry a LCP on a daily basis and its loaded with 102gr Golden Saber. Every Test i have seen these performed very very well compared to some of the others, If you want real big expansion check out the corbon DPX but they are only 60gr. Also deff. check out hornadys critical defense line up they look real nice

What make should I look for in a FMJ bulllet?

(Adams County)

As I understand (from what I was told by an owner) the Walther doesn't function as reliably with hollow points as it does with Full Metal Jacket. The New Hornady rounds might help with that, but I don't know if they are the length of FMJ or JHPs.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast