Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default PA House Hearings on 'Gun Violence' in Erie, PA

This morning, I attended the PA House hearings on Gun Violence in Erie, PA. It was held at the Booker T. Washington center. This was my first visit to this particular location.

There certainly was a lot of folks in attendance from all walks of life. There were plenty of supporters of every conceivable viewpoint.

The Mayor of Erie, Joe Sinnott, opened the Hearing, and expressed the need for 'new legislation' to help ensure Erie remains relatively Crime Free. I'm not sure what legislation he was speaking about, but considering he is signed on to Mike Bloomberg's "Mayors against Illegal Guns", I can only imagine.

The President of City Council, Ruby Jenkins-Husband spoke about a variety of social issues faced by Erie inner city residents, none of which was related to firearms. She told the panel of the newly passed 'teen curfew' ordinance, which was aimed at reducing gang activity.

Jeff, an Assistant District Attorney, stated that most of the firearms used in crimes in Erie shouldn't have been in the hands of the criminal in the first place. They are almost always traced back to an out of state owner from which the firearms were stolen. He also stated that most of the offenders are juviniles, who show little remorse or respect for life. He expressed the need for more resources.

The Chief of Erie Police, Steve Franklin, suprisingly told the panel that ARMED, MASKED HOME INVASION is on the rise in Erie, PA. Basically, a couple of thugs, usually underage, will storm a house, and hold the owners at gunpoint. Meanwhile, the others ransack the place. He expressed the need for additional officers to help patrol the streets and respond to incidents.

The warden of Erie County Prison, James S. Veshecco, testified that since 1978, when he started as a Corrections Officer in Erie, he has seen the prison system grow at an alarming rate. He used the age old addage, "Build it and they will come" to describe the prison overcrowding phenonemon. He estimated that a large precentage of inmates at the Erie County Jail are there for minor offenses. He used the examples of non-dui traffic offenses, minor drug possesion offenses, and technialities of parole violations.

Bob Merski, the Sheriff of Erie County, told the panel about the importance of the Sheriff's department. He outlined his duties a bit: to provide courthouse security, and serve civil warrants. He didn't mention CCW issuance, and expressed no opinion for or against gun control laws.

The president of the CAC (Children's Advocacy Center) testified that early intervention is key to breaking the cycles of violence. She expressed the need for additional resources to help fund CAC centers, but offered no opinions related to firearms.

Overall, there was little said about illegal firearms. Several folks from the community were present to blame the police for everything under the sun, and even suggested that they be required to take racial sensitivity classes, but said nothing about preserving the law-abiding citizens right to bear arms.

I patiently waited my turn to speak to the panel, and was nearly not permitted to speak due to time constraints, and others jumping ahead of the line.

I told the panel that based on the testimony presented by our elected officials, gun control laws would have little impact. I told them I didn't know the answer to all their problems, but that I was concerned about all the anti-gun legislation coming out of Harrisburg, and thought that the TV and Music industry were only putting out negative images with regards to firearms. They glorify the misuse of firearms, and apparently don't have any liability for their actions.

I told the panel I was proud of the Erie County Sheriff, Bob Merski, for his swift approval of legitimate CCW applications. Some Sheriffs do not. He was in attendance, and I saw him smiling as I retured to my seat, clearly happy with the well earned praise. I was glad to see that.

I also told the panel that I wish every household had a firearm, with training provided by the state so they were comfortable with their firearm. Criminals prey on easy targets, and gun control legislation would not address that. I proudly told them I have an PAFOA sticker on my front and back doors of my house, so any criminal planning on committing a violent crime here would know that they are going to meet heavy resistance. If every house was as secure as mine, who would the criminals prey on?

The panel seemed to listen to what I had to say, though some of them refused to make eye contact with me after my viewpoint was clear. I didn't expect to change their minds, but I was there, and I spoke my mind on the subject.
    Last edited by doug; March 27th, 2007 at 05:01 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: PA House Hearings on 'Gun Violence' in Erie, PA

thats great. thanks for the report, and thanks for the effort.

this sounds different from the direction i thought it would go.

(Beaver County)

Atta boy, Doug.

(Delaware County)

Thanks Doug for standing up and speaking for all of us.

(Perry County)

Thanks for the report, Doug! So, it sounds like...in general...the meeting about "gun violence" had little to do with...................guns? It sounds to me like the organizers of the meeting wanted to use guns as the scapegoat issue for all of Erie's problems. Sadly, that is typical behavior of those in the anti-gun movement. Again, thanks for the report.

Dave G.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Berks County)

Thumbs up Re: PA House Hearings on 'Gun Violence' in Erie, PA

Well done Doug. Not only did you make our viewpoint clear to these, for lack of a better word, individuals, you won over a friend in the Sheriff. Nice job indeed!
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Berks County)

Nice job Doug. I hope all the rest of these meetings go as well as the one you attended.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Keep PA well armed. Crime will be low. Them punks have nothing to fear but well armed citizen.

1FingrChan

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    This morning, I attended the PA House hearings on Gun Violence in Erie, PA. It was held at the Booker T. Washington center. This was my first visit to this particular location.

There certainly was a lot of folks in attendance from all walks of life. There were plenty of supporters of every conceivable viewpoint.

The Mayor of Erie, Joe Sinnott, opened the Hearing, and expressed the need for 'new legislation' to help ensure Erie remains relatively Crime Free. I'm not sure what legislation he was speaking about, but considering he is signed on to Mike Bloomberg's "Mayors against Illegal Guns", I can only imagine.

The President of City Council, Ruby Jenkins-Husband spoke about a variety of social issues faced by Erie inner city residents, none of which was related to firearms. She told the panel of the newly passed 'teen curfew' ordinance, which was aimed at reducing gang activity.

Jeff, an Assistant District Attorney, stated that most of the firearms used in crimes in Erie shouldn't have been in the hands of the criminal in the first place. They are almost always traced back to an out of state owner from which the firearms were stolen. He also stated that most of the offenders are juviniles, who show little remorse or respect for life. He expressed the need for more resources.

The Chief of Erie Police, Steve Franklin, suprisingly told the panel that ARMED, MASKED HOME INVASION is on the rise in Erie, PA. Basically, a couple of thugs, usually underage, will storm a house, and hold the owners at gunpoint. Meanwhile, the others ransack the place. He expressed the need for additional officers to help patrol the streets and respond to incidents.

The warden of Erie County Prison, James S. Veshecco, testified that since 1978, when he started as a Corrections Officer in Erie, he has seen the prison system grow at an alarming rate. He used the age old addage, "Build it and they will come" to describe the prison overcrowding phenonemon. He estimated that a large precentage of inmates at the Erie County Jail are there for minor offenses. He used the examples of non-dui traffic offenses, minor drug possesion offenses, and technialities of parole violations.

Bob Merski, the Sheriff of Erie County, told the panel about the importance of the Sheriff's department. He outlined his duties a bit: to provide courthouse security, and serve civil warrants. He didn't mention CCW issuance, and expressed no opinion for or against gun control laws.

The president of the CAC (Children's Advocacy Center) testified that early intervention is key to breaking the cycles of violence. She expressed the need for additional resources to help fund CAC centers, but offered no opinions related to firearms.

Overall, there was little said about illegal firearms. Several folks from the community were present to blame the police for everything under the sun, and even suggested that they be required to take racial sensitivity classes, but said nothing about preserving the law-abiding citizens right to bear arms.

I patiently waited my turn to speak to the panel, and was nearly not permitted to speak due to time constraints, and others jumping ahead of the line.

I told the panel that based on the testimony presented by our elected officials, gun control laws would have little impact. I told them I didn't know the answer to all their problems, but that I was concerned about all the anti-gun legislation coming out of Harrisburg, and thought that the TV and Music industry were only putting out negative images with regards to firearms. They glorify the misuse of firearms, and apparently don't have any liability for their actions.

I told the panel I was proud of the Erie County Sheriff, Bob Merski, for his swift approval of legitimate CCW applications. Some Sheriffs do not. He was in attendance, and I saw him smiling as I retured to my seat, clearly happy with the well earned praise. I was glad to see that.

I also told the panel that I wish every household had a firearm, with training provided by the state so they were comfortable with their firearm. Criminals prey on easy targets, and gun control legislation would not address that. I proudly told them I have an PAFOA sticker on my front and back doors of my house, so any criminal planning on committing a violent crime here would know that they are going to meet heavy resistance. If every house was as secure as mine, who would the criminals prey on?

The panel seemed to listen to what I had to say, though some of them refused to make eye contact with me after my viewpoint was clear. I didn't expect to change their minds, but I was there, and I spoke my mind on the subject.
    you got you're point across to them, im sure everyone including the ones that didnt make eye contact with you listened. now its stuck in there heads..

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks and well done on both your attenance and your report.

Today was the the day for the hearing in Pittsburgh. I hope someone from PAFOA was able to attend and that they post a report here.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast