Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Never thought I'd be saying this: might be buying a glock

So for some time now I've decided that I've mainly switched to OWB carry I've been wanting to go to a full(er) size pistol than my XD9sc. My original plan was to purchase a full size XD so that I could continue using my holsters (Crossbreed Supertuck, Blackhawk serpa) and I would still have two mags to go with the two that would come with it.

Well the fellow who is buying my XD9sc was looking for more mags, so I'd be losing the one mag, all in all it's still not a deal breaker as far as possibly sticking with the XD (service) model.

I did some calling around and I can get a used Glock 17 for $369 (that's a pretty damn good price if you ask me, but I havent done a lot of research yet). But I need to get an idea on it's size versus the size of the XD9 Service. I've been hunting around online for a good close up side-by-side (and am still looking). With that being said I know everyone hates these "this or that" type threads.

I can get a new XD (cant find a used service anywhere nearby) for 498, and they're running a rebate deal for two free mags right now.

Selling my existing xd holsters wont be hard as I have pretty much the two most popular holsters for them, and selling off that last mag wont be hard either.

So...if you were me...which would you go with (keeping price in mind) and why? (if anyone has both of these and can snap a pic or two showing the difference in thickness, length etc...I would be very greateful).

thanks!

Default Re: Never thought I'd be saying this: might be buying a glock

Well, if you want a girl's gun, I guess the Glock would be Ok

Seriously, the Glock 17, XD9 Service, and M&P 9 are all of a similar size. I wouldn't get the Glock because they feel like crap in my hands, and they don't point right for me. Only reason. So, I'd get the XD9 between the two, especially after having had experience with both of them. Functionally, there is no real reason to prefer one over the other, IMHO. Subjectively, they are very different.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Venango County)

I think there was a site or link that had a site where-by you could do comparisons of almost any handguns.

I am at work and cannot remember the site for the life of me.

Maybe someone else will see this and this will jar their memory, or they will have the link handy.

Good luck by the way.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    So for some time now I've decided that I've mainly switched to OWB carry I've been wanting to go to a full(er) size pistol than my XD9sc. My original plan was to purchase a full size XD so that I could continue using my holsters (Crossbreed Supertuck, Blackhawk serpa) and I would still have two mags to go with the two that would come with it.

Well the fellow who is buying my XD9sc was looking for more mags, so I'd be losing the one mag, all in all it's still not a deal breaker as far as possibly sticking with the XD (service) model.

I did some calling around and I can get a used Glock 17 for $369 (that's a pretty damn good price if you ask me, but I havent done a lot of research yet). But I need to get an idea on it's size versus the size of the XD9 Service. I've been hunting around online for a good close up side-by-side (and am still looking). With that being said I know everyone hates these "this or that" type threads.

I can get a new XD (cant find a used service anywhere nearby) for 498, and they're running a rebate deal for two free mags right now.

Selling my existing xd holsters wont be hard as I have pretty much the two most popular holsters for them, and selling off that last mag wont be hard either.

So...if you were me...which would you go with (keeping price in mind) and why? (if anyone has both of these and can snap a pic or two showing the difference in thickness, length etc...I would be very greateful).

thanks!
    Where did you find the new XD for 498? Inquiring minds want to know...

It's not an M if that's what you're asking, just a regular XD. If you still wanna know, holla at me (PM)

(Snyder County)

FWIW, I bought an XD40 as my first pistol. I had shot a few Glocks and thought I wanted a Glock. Until I held an XD. It just fit my hand better and was more comfortable to shoot. So I have had the XD for 3 or 4 years now. About a year ago, I bought a Glock 22. I don't know why, I just wanted one. I have shot it a lot and it shoots great. But I still carry my XD because it feels so much nicer in my hand.

IMO, that is what matters more. You need to be comfortable with what you shoot. For me, it is an XD. That is the main reason I carry what I do.

I reallly like the XD's that much I know....Might end up putting one on layaway as I wont have the cash up front for a service right away.

(Berks County)

I reallly like the XD's that much I know....Might end up putting one on layaway as I wont have the cash up front for a service right away.
    If you weren't on the wrong side of the state I'd say we could go to the range and you could try both my 17 and my XD side by side and make an informed decision. Perhaps someone out there could hook you up.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Chester County)

The overall sizes are very close.

I belive the XD slides are wider and heavier...and as a result, I have never cared how the XD balances in hand.

Once you start making the gun go bang...you know where my preferences lie.

(Allegheny County)

I did some calling around and I can get a used Glock 17 for $369 (that's a pretty damn good price if you ask me, but I havent done a lot of research yet).
    that's a great price (assuming the gun is not falling apart).

if you end up not getting it, lemme know where you found that price, will ya?

i am a certified glock nut, and i would never want to discourage anyone from switching to glock, but i do want to point out one thing:

in my experience glocks and XDs feel and point very differently. make sure you understand how the glock feels/points for you before making the switch. a lot of people think they are basically the same gun, but, as a glock owner who has shot other people's XDs, imho, they are nothing alike and switching from one to the other would, i think, take some getting used to.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast