Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Question about target shooting on private property in PRNJ

Yea, I realize that this is the PAFOA, but because I only go to school in PA and live in PRNJ as you can imagine I have trouble finding places to target shoot (rifles that is, I have a 91/30). Public range facilities in NJ include those for muzzle-loading firearms and shotguns (No lead shot) only. As nice as it is to spend 2 hours driving to SGL 43 I was wondering if anyone would be able to let me in on the legalities of target shooting (with said rifle) on private land. I know for a fact my township doesn't have any ordinances banning it, and that of course I would have to obtain permission from the owner and make sure it was a safe place to shoot. Other than that though I am in the dark about the issue.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Ashesofthewake; December 16th, 2008 at 05:39 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Question about target shooting on private property in PRNJ

Being a refugee from PRNJ I did some looking and found some things you should think about.. Understand IANAL and it may be nitpicking but see some statutes below. Assuming there's no local restriction where you are shooting then the issue will be how do you transport the weapons legally.

You can access NJ Statutes at
    http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin...TOC_Frame_Pg42

2C:39-5. Unlawful Possession of Weapons.

b.Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person. Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.

c.Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

(2)Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.
    Bottom line you can't have a handgun or loaded long gun in your posession unless you qualify under an exemption.

2C:39-6 Exemptions.

2C:39-6. a. Provided a person complies with the requirements of subsection j. of this section, N.J.S.2C:39-5 does not apply to:
    f.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(1)A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

(2)A person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license;

(3)A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a)Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

(b)Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

(c)In the case of a firearm, directly to or from any exhibition or display of firearms which is sponsored by any law enforcement agency, any rifle or pistol club, or any firearms collectors club, for the purpose of displaying the firearms to the public or to the members of the organization or club, provided, however, that not less than 30 days prior to the exhibition or display, notice of the exhibition or display shall be given to the Superintendent of the State Police by the sponsoring organization or club, and the sponsor has complied with such reasonable safety regulations as the superintendent may promulgate. Any firearms transported pursuant to this section shall be transported in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;
    Bottom line:

You're OK if the range is a formal registered club; OR you have a hunting llicense and the firearm/projectile is legal for hunting; OR you're going directly to or from a 'target range" (2C:39-6f(3)(b)) Here's the kicker - what constitutes a 'target range'? The follow-on wording in the exception "or other authorized place" implies that the range must be authorized but that is arguable.

There may be some case law that would better support what you want to do but, were it me and knowing NJ, I'd think THRICE before proceeding - its not totally risk free.

Maybe others can opine since it appears to be in a technical gray area.
    Last edited by tl_3237; December 16th, 2008 at 08:54 PM.

(Lehigh County)

My in-laws shoot on their property without any problems. Check with your local zoning "noise" ordinance.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Pike County)

Another PRNJ refugee here.
    For many years I had a range on my property. Had mucho fun.
    Then the area grew up and I cut down to a bit of test firing only, no more shooting parties.
    Where I was, there was no ordinance on discharge, or noise. I was the property owner. I was also surounded on 3 sides by land leased to a hunting club.
    IANAL, but if you have WRITTEN permission from the owner, and have your FID, I believe that you could be fine, as long as no one in the area complains.
    Be far away from other peoples property and public roads. Have a good backstop.
    Then be aware of noise ordinances, or an LEO that is going to question where you lead is landing, and running you and your guns and more. There is a potential hassel factor. Be wary of the wreckless endangerment blanket.
    If you google him, I am sure that you will find the info for Evan Nappen, who is one of the pre-eminent firearms lawyers in NJ. Get legal advise, what you get here is worth exactly what you paid for it (when you are in the back of a crown vic).

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    Another PRNJ refugee here.

IANAL, but if you have WRITTEN permission from the owner, and have your FID, I believe that you could be fine, as long as no one in the area complains.
    Be far away from other peoples property and public roads. Have a good backstop.
    Then be aware of noise ordinances, or an LEO that is going to question where you lead is landing, and running you and your guns and more. There is a potential hassel factor. Be wary of the wreckless endangerment blanket.
    If you google him, I am sure that you will find the info for Evan Nappen, who is one of the pre-eminent firearms lawyers in NJ. Get legal advise, what you get here is worth exactly what you paid for it (when you are in the back of a crown vic).
    Thanks I'll take all that into account. I do have my FID, I own my gun legally. I do know of people that do shoot their rifles in my township on private property, none that I know in the capacity that I feel comfortable asking to shoot on their property though. I wanted to check the legality of that more or less so I knew if I would be breaking the law if I asked someone I do know better if I could shoot on their property. I am also on a first name basis with a few LEO's in my town so it couldn't hurt to check with them.
    Thanks again.

(Pike County)

No offense to your friends, but cops are one of the worst people to ask about gun laws. Most are brainwashed to believe that only cops should have guns.
    If you want to be safe, ask a lawyer.

Where in NJ are you from? Ranges are around, but i've found they tend to kind of hide themselves away to avoid being harassed by the liberals. There is a decent club in Delran, NJ, that I've been to a few times. Its probably about 20 minutes from philly, depending on which part you are coming from.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by eocoolj View Post
    Where in NJ are you from? Ranges are around, but i've found they tend to kind of hide themselves away to avoid being harassed by the liberals. There is a decent club in Delran, NJ, that I've been to a few times. Its probably about 20 minutes from philly, depending on which part you are coming from.
    Somerset county, near princeton. I'll check that out, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashesofthewake View Post
    Somerset county, near princeton. I'll check that out, thanks.
    you have a gun club not far from you in east winsor on rt. 571. also in Jackson there is the club I belong to Central Jersey rifle and pistol club. you can check it out as far as membership if you'd like. This is a membership club but there is lots to do there, shotgun, skeet, trap, handgun (indoor and out), glock matches, ipsc, cowboy action, high power rifles. you might want to check it out. www.cjrpc.com
    and it's a registered club with the State and State Police as well.

There is also a range at Ft. Dix that is open to the public. The fee is $60.00 per year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast