Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Summer concealed carry?

Hi. I am new to concealed carry, even though I am a middle age guy. I was carrying concealed my .38 shrouded hammer snub revolver in a jacket pocket or IWB holster during the winter and was getting fairly comfortable either way. But now am having trouble with the warmer weather finding a good way to conceal. I know, a big, sloppy shirt worn untucked might work or ankle holster maybe. Any ideas from others on what works best for you when carrying a small revolver and not wearing a jacket?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; March 27th, 2007 at 08:07 AM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Summer concealed carry?

You could try using a pocket holster and just dropping the firearm in your pocket in the holster. I know of several people who carry smaller firearms in their pockets.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Chester County)

For a small revolver?

Any untucked shirt will do the trick. If you're new to concealed carry, you're still in the "everyone knows I'm carrying a gun" phase. When I first started carrying on a regular basis, I was convinced that someone could spot the fact that I was carrying a Kel-Tec P32, IWB, under a shirt, sweater, and coat.

I'm 5'10", 135 lbs. In a t-shirt I can OWB a Glock 20 and 2 spare magazines, and nobody notices a thing.

Trust, me, your gun is invisible in a decent IWB holster, even if you're wearing a baby-T (which, I hope, for the love of god, you aren't).

If you're really worried:

Get a good shoulder holster. Lou Alessi Bodyguard is the best shoulder holster ever made. Ken Null SKR is a close second. You can even tuck in your shirt if you want. To draw up just rip it up, reach under, and go to work. The SKR will work better than the Alessi if you sweat a lot, because leather isn't washable. This is my choice when I must tuck in a shirt.

Or get a "tuckable" IWB, like Comp-Tac's C-TAC or any one of Fist Inc's holsters. Or I think Milt Sparks makes them, too. See their various websites for explanations on how they work. Lots of folks like them.

Ankle carry works if it is a light gun. But ankle carry sucks, honestly. It's slow to draw, crap gets into the gun mechanism, it's uncomfortable, and you have to wear garters to get a secure hold.

Pocket carry works, but it's slow, and if you're sitting down, forget about being able to get it out without work.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Erie County)

It was 70 degrees yesterday. I had on a pair of shorts, polo shirt, sandals, and a XD 45 IWB w/o any issues.

A small frame revolver should fit IWB w/o an issue I would think? You shouldn't even need a baggy shirt as the gun is quite small to begin with.

(Allegheny County)

I have one of these for high concealment situations.
    PagerPal

Watch the video for how it works.

(York County)

Pocket carry works for my Taurus 85 snubby.
    If your gun is steel, it might be a bit heavy for a pocket however...

Next best is a good IWB under a dark tee shirt, IMHO

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Hi. I am new to concealed carry, even though I am a middle age guy. I was carrying concealed my .38 shrouded hammer snub revolver in a jacket pocket or IWB holster during the winter and was getting fairly comfortable either way. But now am having trouble with the warmer weather finding a good way to conceal. I know, a big, sloppy shirt worn untucked might work or ankle holster maybe. Any ideas from others on what works best for you when carrying a small revolver and not wearing a jacket?
    Thanks.

When I carry my .38 Special revolver, I use a waistband type holster and I can wear a t-shirt without anybody knowing that I have a revolver on me. Really it's great! Do you know what I'm talking about? It has a velcro fastener, and the band goes completely around your torso. It also works well with my semi automatic. Good luck.
    Last edited by dnar; March 27th, 2007 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Failed to mention something.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    It was 70 degrees yesterday. I had on a pair of shorts, polo shirt, sandals, and a XD 45 IWB w/o any issues.

A small frame revolver should fit IWB w/o an issue I would think? You shouldn't even need a baggy shirt as the gun is quite small to begin with.
    What kind of IWB holster are you using Delta? I have been trying to find a good IWB holster for my XD40. One that i can get away with with shorts and T shirt on.

(Bedford County)

HiredGoon check out Smart Carry!http://www.smartcarry.com/

(Tioga County)

I bought a Blade Tech IWB for my XD 45. I'm happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin View Post
    What kind of IWB holster are you using Delta? I have been trying to find a good IWB holster for my XD40. One that i can get away with with shorts and T shirt on.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast