Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: S&W model 22

(Lancaster County)

Default S&W model 22

I have a Kimber cust.II and loads of .45 acp, I would like a revolver. Seeing how much .45 acp I have (@ 1000 rnds.)I was thinking about a S&W model 22. Anyone have one, any thoughts?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: S&W model 22

I have a sw mod 22a I am pretty sure. I got it when they first came out years ago. I have one with the black painted on type finish. I had problems with the black finish. It sucked to take apart and to put back together.

i now have a Browning buckmark. It shoots very will but is a touch picky with ammo.
    The browning is also not a joy to put back together. from what i understand most of the semi auto 22's are not really easy to field strip.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Does anyone know the number for 9-1-1?

(Philadelphia County)

Talking Re: S&W model 22

You will love your new model 22. or even a new 25. I have been shooting a 25-2 for years and you will have a whole new respect for the 45 acp round, You will discover that it is a warm, soft shooting round out of a revolver, and if you are like me, You will grin when you see that you are grouping 1" at 45'.
    I run mine with moon clips, and since I have been shooting it I love it!
    Here is a pic of my 25-2 with a 6.5" barrel, I believe it was made in 1965,
    If you can find a 25-2 you will be happy, They show up from time to time in the 500 range.
    I have a few 1911s, But I would rather shoot this because of the soft shooting feel of a 45 through a revolver!!!
    WHatever you do,,, Enjoy your new toys!

Peter.
    Last edited by pred; December 16th, 2008 at 08:04 AM.

(Lehigh County)

I uses a S&W 22a for an indoor Bullseye Target league during the winter months.

I do not have the disassembly problem DeepbluePA mentioned. There is one button to depress and the barrel lifts off the receiver, then if the slide release is disengaged the slide, spring, buffer and firing pin come off the frame. Assembly is the reverse.

It shoots well and after I fixed a small problem when I first bought it I had to file off some casting "flash" that would catch the slide causing it to hang up and fully chamber the round.

I have the "bull barrel" and S&W's target stocks with a red dot sighting device. This will be my third season with this gun. We shoot 4 relays per night twice a week for 16 (?) weeks. Add in some practice and plinking sessions in the summer, and I have quite a few rounds through this fine handgun.

NEVER MIND!
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Lancaster County)

[QUOTE=LastManOut;535164]I uses a S&W 22a for an indoor Bullseye Target league during the winter months.

I do not have the disassembly problem DeepbluePA mentioned. There is one button to depress and the barrel lifts off the receiver, then if the slide release is disengaged the slide, spring, buffer and firing pin come off the frame. Assembly is the reverse.

It shoots well and after I fixed a small problem when I first bought it I had to file off some casting "flash" that would catch the slide causing it to hang up and fully chamber the round.

I have the "bull barrel" and S&W's target stocks with a red dot sighting device. This will be my third season with this gun. We shoot 4 relays per night twice a week for 16 (?) weeks. Add in some practice and plinking sessions in the summer, and I have quite a few rounds through this fine handgun.

I appreciate your post I have a 22a as well which I use for target practice, the revolver I was refrencing is a model 22, full size, firing .45 acp. I have been wanting one and just wanted some feedback from those who own or have fired one.

(Centre County)

The S&W that shoots 45acp is the Model 25 or the model 625. They hold the rounds in full moon clips and are a real joy to shoot. The 45acp in a large frame revolver like the 25 are very mild recoiling and loaded correctly can be very accurate.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member