Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Concealed carry on a college campus in PA...

Anyone know where I can look to find out about the legalities of carrying on a college campus in PA?
    I'd like to know whether it's a forbidden thing I should be writing representatives about or if it's up to the policies at the individual college. Last time I called the cops I got an answer to the effect of "I'm not sure, but it can't be legal - can it?".
    Big suprise but I'd like to know for sure.
    Any leads would be appreciated.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Concealed carry on a college campus in PA...

IIRC it isn't illegal, but it is against college rules and could get you in trouble with your school.

Send a PM to forum member w1cked. He s the founder of the Pitt chapter of students for concealed carry on campus. He can tell you all the ins and outs.

(Philadelphia County)

I've wondered about this, too. I've always assumed it was at the discretion of the school, but that makes me wonder how a school can violate state and federal law by prohibiting your right to bear arms...I suppose it's because it's private property.

(Allegheny County)

In general terms ... specific to schools located in PA

-- K thru 12 schools are addressed by Federal and State law, in PA possessing a PA Resident or PA Non-Resident LTCF can offer exemption at times

-- PA Title 18 ss 61 / Uniform Firearms Act does not list colleges / universities as prohibited areas

-- in PA, signage on private property does not have the weight of law behind it, if discovered you can be asked to leave and as long as you do so immediately you have not broken the law; however if you remain or are argumentative you may be cited for Defiant Trespass

-- as for being a student at a college or university, you might breach a school policy and be at risk for expulsion / loss of tuition

-- as for being an employee / faculty at a college or university, you might breach a school policy or a quality of your employment agreement / contract or employee handbook and be at risk for termination of employment

Specific to being a student or employee / faculty, you may have a defense in the exact phrasing of the policy, for example:

-- policy states "No Illegal Weapons": you may choose to intrepret that lawful, licensed concealed carry is not illegal, this might give you an exemption if discovered until the phrasing / language is changed

-- policy states "No Firearms": you likely have no defense and may be subject to expulsion or termination of employment if discovered

Also, combating such items openly may help in forcing an exemption.
    Examples: joining or starting a "Target Pistol Club" or "Students for the Second Amendment Club" at the school

Hope this helps ...

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

(Monroe County)

Since it's not illegal you should have a clear conscience about carrying concealed while at college. That being said, the only thing you're doing wrong is not following the college rule book, boo hoo. I'll be alive cause I carried my gun if some asshole tries to shoot up my school, and the administrators who said NO GUNS for students with LTCF's and NO ARMED GUARDS, will be dead. Then the school will expel me and I'll take them to court and sue, then send everyone in my family to college.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    IIRC it isn't illegal, but it is against college rules and could get you in trouble with your school.
    In trouble with your school means....KICKED OUT....if you are caught with a weapon on school property. Legally carried or not.

(Jefferson County)

A college is not included as a school in PA. Only K-12, kindergarten through 12th grade.

The college itself can have other civil/criminal penalties like expelling, trespassing, failing grades, etc.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

A guy in my major got 30 days community service. All he did was leave a shotgun shell lay out inside his truck in plain view. Someone saw it and reported it the campus cops. They treated it as if it was a bomb while taking it from his truck. My question is: Lets say you're not a student or an employee. You stop in to use the ATM on the college property. I'm guessing that's legal? Most campus cops are quite bored and looking for some action. Another guy I know almost got his car searched after rolling through a stop sign on campus. He had an issue of Guns And Ammo on the seat. The one cop noticed and said to the other: "There may be weapons in the car". They then unsnapped their glocks and proceeded to questioning.

(Allegheny County)

To everyone on this thread: Read the stickies on "where you can and can't carry", posted on this forum by the moderators(ie the FAQ pages).
    These type of questions get asked over and over, and there are permanent answers posted for that reason.

That said, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN PA LAW THAT SAYS YOU CAN"T CARRY A GUN ON A COLLEGE CAMPUS. Furthermore, police can't use suspicion that you have a firearm as justification for a Terry search under PA law, since carrying a firearm isn't in and of itself illegal. Furthermore, you have no obligation to tell LE in PA, if you are carrying a firearm, even if they ask. So, how would some campus cop even know you had a gun? He might suspect it, but they have no authority to find out. If you were not a student, they might be able to play the trespass card, but if you have a student ID for the place there isn't much they can do.

Standard disclaimers about not being a lawyer or offering legal advice apply.
    Last edited by panther76; December 18th, 2008 at 03:29 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by panther76 View Post
    Furthermore, police can't use suspicion that you have a firearm as justification for a Terry search under PA law, since carrying a firearm isn't in and of itself illegal.
    while i would agree with you that the actual wording of terry should require more than just suspicion of carrying a concealed gun, i would not count on the courts ruling that way.

you do need an LTCF in PA to carry concealed. most people in PA do not have an LTCF. thus, the courts very well might rule that suspicion of a concealed gun does provide RAS that the individual is carrying concealed without an LTCF (and that carrying a concealed firearm without an LTCF automatically makes one dangerours, so there is also RAS that the person poses a threat).

i don't like it. i think it is BS. but our courts have been known to spew BS.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast