Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Concealed carry on a college campus in PA...

Guess this means Temple will be the next Virginia Tech.

Colleges have lots of rules. They have rules against underage drinking. We all know how well they work. They have rules against illegal drug usage. Ditto. Our middle daughter just graduated from a conservative Christian school that had rules against boffing your fellow student unmarried. That didn't stop people either. Not only did two of her friends get kicked out, they had to get married.

I have the luxury of being done with college and grad school. I have taken a few college courses since then, mainly for amusement. I carry on college property, concealed of course, and if they want to throw me off, they are welcome to do so. I will not say what I would encourage my own children to do if they were of age and still in school.

I have been going to college for engineering since 2007. After the VA Tech massacre, I had my 9mm in my bookbag since. I would rather risk being kicked out of Penn State than to be a statistic.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdoc60 View Post
    I have been going to college for engineering since 2007. After the VA Tech massacre, I had my 9mm in my bookbag since. I would rather risk being kicked out of Penn State than to be a statistic.
    I will be going back to college very soon and have thought about how I will carry. I don't like the idea of carrying in my backpack for a number of reasons. Sometimes the backpack is not within arms reach. What if a raging lunatic comes into the classroom and puts everybody in a corner but my backpack is still under my chair. That would be the most helpless feeling in the world. My other reason for not wanting to carry in my backpack is what if somebody forgot their notes and opens my backpack to get mine or whatever reason you can think of, and they see me pistol. IMO there are too many chances for bad things to happen that way. I started carrying to minimize the chance for bad things to happen, not to increase them. The way I will carry is my Ruger sp101 357 magnum in my pocket. That way it goes wherever I go, and nobody is putting their hands in my pockets other than me.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Shisno View Post
    I will be going back to college very soon and have thought about how I will carry. I don't like the idea of carrying in my backpack for a number of reasons. Sometimes the backpack is not within arms reach. What if a raging lunatic comes into the classroom and puts everybody in a corner but my backpack is still under my chair. That would be the most helpless feeling in the world. My other reason for not wanting to carry in my backpack is what if somebody forgot their notes and opens my backpack to get mine or whatever reason you can think of, and they see me pistol. IMO there are too many chances for bad things to happen that way. I started carrying to minimize the chance for bad things to happen, not to increase them. The way I will carry is my Ruger sp101 357 magnum in my pocket. That way it goes wherever I go, and nobody is putting their hands in my pockets other than me.
    I always had my backpack by my feet and partially unzipped, always within arm's reach. If anyone came in, it was a matter of reaching down and grabbing it. As far as anyone going into my bag, I never allowed that. If I needed to let someone access any notes (rarely) I would get them out myself.

Also, in cold weather, I would carry under my jacket. When the weather warm, is when i would keep it in my bag. I never had any issues, and none of the other students, nor the professors were wise to it, therefore, if a maniac came in, I would have had the element of surprise.

(Delaware County)

Weapons, Firearms and Dangerous Devices Policy

West Chester University of Pennsylvania is a institution of Higher Education. As an academic environment there is no legitimate purpose to possess or control weapons, firearms or dangerous devices except for the purpose of safety and security. Weapons, firearms and dangerous devices are instruments capable of causing harm and injury to the campus population. Prohibition of such devices and instruments on University property is an attempt to reduce the possibility of injury to the campus population.

Accordingly, it shall be prohibited for anyone to possess or control weapons, firearms or dangerous devices at West Chester University of Pennsylvania .

Exceptions to this policy may be granted in appropriate circumstances by the Director of Public Safety.

Failure to comply with the Weapons, Firearms and Dangerous Devices Policy, will result in campus administrative or judicial actions by the Department of Public Safety.

This policy complies with West Chester University of Pennsylvania President’s authority under Act 188 to adopt policies governing the use of institutional facilities and property, and to do and perform those things necessary and required for the orderly operation of the institution.

looks like i will be going to see the DOPS once school starts. kinda dumb that is says the only reason to carry is for safety UH DUHHHHH thats why i wanna carry to begin with and since ill be commuting 30 minutes each way i will feel uncomfortable driving around town and walking to and from class thus need it for my safety

(Chester County)

I have been biting my tongue for awhile now, so here it goes......

I work at a college. I have a personal belief, and that is...unless otherwise directed, I will exercise my god-given rights which are protected by the US Constitution and the PA State Constitution.

There are no signs posted, nor have I ever received any type of employee handbook. It is not my responsibility to research their rules pertaining to trampling on my rights.

I am not trying to be a rebel with a bad attitude or anything. I just work in a bad part of town at night and drive through a even worse part on my way home. My safety is objective #1

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdoc60 View Post
    Careful what you post on a PUBLIC forum...
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Lackawanna County)

the university of scranton doesnt allow any weapons on its property. it doesnt allow students to defend them selves from attackers. Any student that harms another is expelled regardless of the situation (i.e. self-defense). the u often violates students rights and could care less for the second amendment especailly as they illegally search students belongings when they leave for break. the constitution does not apply to the university of scranton.

(Delaware County)

Kinda seems silly to have a federal constitution but that schools can take away your rights given to you by it, or maybe it's just me that thinks that idk. I noticed in high school how you loose a lot of rights when you walk in the door and it's accepted. So the schools override the federal government. Then we wonder why kids these days have no respect for the constitution or the rights that many men died to give them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast