Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: amish guns?

(Bucks County)

Default amish guns?

hey i was visiting your area last weekend and i was curious. what kind of guns do the amish own? are they not allowed to have semi autos or cartridge style rifles/shotties? I was thinking this as i rode past a horse and buggy and i remembered that they also don't use electricity. i know some of yall haveamish friends if you live in lancaster county. is there amish guidelines for what guns are good for their religion and what ones are too modern for them?
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

(Chester County)

Default Re: amish guns?

Quote Originally Posted by ccphilly1984 View Post
    hey i was visiting your area last weekend and i was curious. what kind of guns do the amish own? are they not allowed to have semi autos or cartridge style rifles/shotties? I was thinking this as i rode past a horse and buggy and i remembered that they also don't use electricity. i know some of yall haveamish friends if you live in lancaster county. is there amish guidelines for what guns are good for their religion and what ones are too modern for them?
    Good question. I don't know the definitive answer but I've had gun conversations at the range and the Amishman who uses our range and he has several rifles including a bolt .270 with variable scope. If I see him I'll breach the subject.

(Blair County)

I am interested in this as well. Remember menonites (SP) are often confused with the amish. I beleive they are less stringent on the no technology thing.

(York County)

http://www.geocities.com/amishgimp/T10_LeastAsked.html

1. Q: "Do the Amish use guns?"

A: Yes, the Amish commonly own and use guns. Of course, they are only used for hunting wild game.
    An Amish family that has a gun in their house will not even use it in self defense.

http://amishamerica.typepad.com/amis...ish-and-h.html
    "many Amish are avid hunters"..."Hunting trips out West, to Canada and other northern points are not uncommon with some Amish, though other groups would frown upon such out-of-the-way pursuits. Many Amish hunt on wooded parts of their own land or that of a relative or neighbor."

(York County)

& Oh yeah... they vote conservative too.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 87th PVI View Post
    http://www.geocities.com/amishgimp/T10_LeastAsked.html

1. Q: "Do the Amish use guns?"

A: Yes, the Amish commonly own and use guns. Of course, they are only used for hunting wild game.
    An Amish family that has a gun in their house will not even use it in self defense.

http://amishamerica.typepad.com/amis...ish-and-h.html
    "many Amish are avid hunters"..."Hunting trips out West, to Canada and other northern points are not uncommon with some Amish, though other groups would frown upon such out-of-the-way pursuits. Many Amish hunt on wooded parts of their own land or that of a relative or neighbor."
    The Amish are genuine pacifists. They are quite unlike the urban pacifist-aggressives who feel self-righteous by taking away your rights and spouting platitudes but are happy to have a blue collar public servant risk his life and use deadly force on their behalf.

(Blair County)

The Amish and Menonites Drive deer 60 people strong in the State forest where my camp is. I can tell you for sure most of them carry the finest production and custom guns produced along with optics. The one kid I talked to had a Nosler custom shop with a Leupold VXL atop it. I inquired about ammo and he jokeingly replied "ammo this time of year is more important than my horses shoes, the shoes will wait, the deer will not".

Brad
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSHOVEL View Post
    The Amish and Menonites Drive deer 60 people strong in the State forest where my camp is. I can tell you for sure most of them carry the finest production and custom guns produced along with optics. The one kid I talked to had a Nosler custom shop with a Leupold VXL atop it. I inquired about ammo and he jokeingly replied "ammo this time of year is more important than my horses shoes, the shoes will wait, the deer will not".

Brad
    were they amish or Mennonite? sounds more Mennonite to me. amish dont even use electricity do they?
    FJB

(Blair County)

Both, and it depends on sect.
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

(Centre County)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast