Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default An Honest Question...

As a preface, please let it be known that this is not an attempt at trolling. This is just a question that has been rattling around in my head for some time.

Here's the conundrum: Every time the LTCF as it is issued in PA comes up in discussion, someone will invariably make a statement suggesting that it "is not a concealed-carry permit," but rather, it "is a license to carry a firearm." Conversely, it is well-accepted that open carry does not require the LTCF.

So, open carry is legal (beyond Philadelphia) without the LTCF. In contrast, concealed carry absolutely does require the LTCF. By default, is the LTCF not a de facto concealed-carry permit? I understand that the statutes are not worded in such a way that the LTCF is a concealed-carry permit per se. However, if (again, Philadelphia notwithstanding) the ability to conceal is the only real, tangible benefit that the LTCF extends to the bearer....?

Am I missing something? If I am, I'll take my lumps for this one.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: An Honest Question...

Since our LTCF's are indeed permission slips to conceal or carry in a vehicle its rather asinine to argue over the name of them. The purpose is the same regardless of name.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

It also gives you the ability to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle, concealed or not, which you cannot do without it. So for people who generally OC it would be used as a License To Carry Firearms (in a vehicle) and not as a (Concealed) Weapons Permit. At least that is the argument some people will end up using. To me I don't see why it matters because there is only one type of license issued in PA. Its not like there's a seperate license for concealed and one for open. No matter what its called, we all still know what is being talked about. The proper terminology is simply a technicality if you ask me.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

(Chester County)

*hits you on the head*
    Great job!

(Franklin County)

A LTCF also permits you to carry (in any manner) during a declared state of emergency.
    §6107. Prohibited Conduct During Emergency.

No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a state or municipal governmental executive unless that person is:

(1) Actively engaged in a defense of that person’s life or property from peril or threat

(2) Licensed to carry firearms under section 6109 (relating to licenses) or is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).

(Chgd. by L1995, Spec. Sess. 1, Act 17(2), eff. 10/11/95)
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bighornjd View Post
    It also gives you the ability to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle, concealed or not, which you cannot do without it. So for people who generally OC it would be used as a License To Carry Firearms (in a vehicle) and not as a (Concealed) Weapons Permit. At least that is the argument some people will end up using. To me I don't see why it matters because there is only one type of license issued in PA. Its not like there's a seperate license for concealed and one for open. No matter what its called, we all still know what is being talked about. The proper terminology is simply a technicality if you ask me.
    There are other states that its illegal to carry in a vehicle loaded or not and also require a license/permit to conceal - and they call it a permit.

Either way it is a permission slip whether it is called a license or a permit. The name is rather moot, they grant an exemption to an offense.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Venango County)

I believe it's more of a perception that if it's a concealment permit it's only for that purpose, and you must conceal it. I agree it's splitting hairs, but I think that's why.

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Philadelphia County)

LTCF also gives you open carry rights in Philadelphia, and the right to borrow firearms as defined in the UFA. Actually I think you can borrow a firearm without an LTCF but the person who lends it to you commits a crime unless you have an LTCF or fall under some other exemption. With an LTCF you can borrow your friend's pistol for a range trip, he can't let it out of his sight if you are not licensed.

(Bucks County)

Fair enough answers. Thanks, all.
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockedAndLoaded View Post
    *hits you on the head*
    Hey! What did I do to deserve that?

(Dauphin County)

if i get your question right there is a difference in that it is a license not a permit, so a concealed license yes but not a permit...

i know its just a word and in PA the word is license, some people get all hung up over it, i still have to correct myself sometimes, and i find myself correcting people i talk to ..

i guess call it what it is ya know ?

like my Harley if someone said hey nice Honda i would freak out on them lmao
    no really i would flip !!
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast