Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default hunting on non posted ground

I just posted on another thread about the deer harvest being down and the subject came up about hunting on property that is not posted without permission. My belief is that -posted or not it is still private property-and that is a good way to make the owner mad and post everybody off. Any other thoughts? right or wrong?

(Somerset County)

Default Re: hunting on non posted ground

you always have to ask permission or risk getting a bullet in your ass. I have hunted the same land for years. Its a farmers land. I dont know his name or address I just know how to drive there. I make sure to drive there a few weeks before the season and talk to him for 5 minutes. He gives me permission and shows me where the deer have been running. He tells me where to go and where to not go. He planted new trees this summer and asked me to stay away from them. Very nice farmer and tells me I can bring whoever I want. Ive shot a lot of huge deer there and the farmer keeps telling me to come back.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by david1 View Post
    you always have to ask permission or risk getting a bullet in your ass. I have hunted the same land for years. Its a farmers land. I dont know his name or address I just know how to drive there. I make sure to drive there a few weeks before the season and talk to him for 5 minutes. He gives me permission and shows me where the deer have been running. He tells me where to go and where to not go. He planted new trees this summer and asked me to stay away from them. Very nice farmer and tells me I can bring whoever I want. Ive shot a lot of huge deer there and the farmer keeps telling me to come back.
    Thats the way I think to do it, be polite always ask and respect the owners rights.

(Montgomery County)

What about... for example... A PECO right of way that isnt posted? I know for a fact I'm not the only one who hunts it. I've seen a number of tree stands in the area and a few hunters as well

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    What about... for example... A PECO right of way that isnt posted? I know for a fact I'm not the only one who hunts it. I've seen a number of tree stands in the area and a few hunters as well
    My pops used to be head off security PECO (till someone decided to take a snooze, not him though) And he said they caught many of people hunting on the property and they would press full charges on them.

We still hunt on a piece thats close to peco property and he always makes sure to not go over there, since he knows first hand that they will charge you.
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arch007er View Post
    My pops used to be head off security PECO (till someone decided to take a snooze, not him though) And he said they caught many of people hunting on the property and they would press full charges on them.

We still hunt on a piece thats close to peco property and he always makes sure to not go over there, since he knows first hand that they will charge you.
    just out of curiosity, given the wording of PA trespassing laws, how can they charge you if the property is not posted? would they not have to prove somehow that you knew you were not allowed on the property--and how would they do that if there are no signs?

(note: i am not advocating violating property rights even if the property is not posted, just curious from a legal technicality standpoint.)

(Montgomery County)

Interesting, I think I have to re check the property to see where the r-o-w actually goes.

(Allegheny County)

here's what i have had to do. i live in an area where there are a good bit of woods. for a long time the 300+ acres behind my place was never posted and the property owner lived in NC. every year i would call him up and ask permission. he always said i didn't have to ask since i took care of his land. he passed away a few years ago and his daughter sold the property. the new owners have asked us not hunt on the property but w can have access to cross it to hunt another landowners property we lease. this year while posting our lease, i called the guy who owned the 300+ acres and asked him if he wanted his far boarder posted along a gas R.O.W. he said yes and thanked me. he then gave my father and i permission to hunt the far edge of his property.

the Gas R.O.W. itself is not posted, but both sides are. i have no control over who walks along it to hunt, but once they shoot that deer better be on the R.O.W. or else they are tresspassing. i've had to call the warden/police more than a few times for tresspassers.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    just out of curiosity, given the wording of PA trespassing laws, how can they charge you if the property is not posted? would they not have to prove somehow that you knew you were not allowed on the property--and how would they do that if there are no signs?

(note: i am not advocating violating property rights even if the property is not posted, just curious from a legal technicality standpoint.)
    Honestly man, I'm not sure, I could never quote laws or anything. All I know is he hounded me about not going onto their property. It might be some sort of security breach issue, but I could not tell you.
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    I do a lot of work for utility companies, ppl and I can tell you that just because there is a power line on it, don't mean it's not private property. most utilties have a paid row. and have the legal right to access and maintain their lines, the property still belongs to the landowner and he has finall say over it. But on the other hand utilities like PPL,PECO, MET ED etc,do own alot of property and do alow hunting on it at their discretion. That being said I still believe it is a good idea to know who owns the land and have their permission to hunt there. Just because other people do it don't make you immune to a trespassing charge (believe me I know personally from when I was young and on a water co. property.)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast