Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Michaux St. Forest Range Incident...

Went to the Michaux St. Forest Range today to shoot in a few new pistols and during our stay, we were greeted by a DNR officer. We had all permits in order and all of our pistols were good to go as well. I thought he was done talking with us but...he wasn’t.

It seems that the PA inspection was expired on my truck. I don’t drive my truck much as I have another vehicle for work so it sits in the garage. The officer was very courteous and professional. I was in the wrong so I’ll pay the fine.

This is just a heads up to you guys and gals. Make sure your vehicle is legal before going there to shoot. The same laws of the road apply in the forest. This lesson will cost me about $100.00 with the fine and court costs.

Again, this is no disrespect to the DNR officer. He was only doing his job. I’m just glad we at least all had valid permits.

Good Luck.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Michaux St. Forest Range Incident...

How expired was it? Weeks? Years? The time frame has some bearing on how I feel about this. As an LEO, There have been times when I've let people off with a written warning (that required the inspection to be completed by a certain date) when they were a few months expired!
    I did not know a DNR officer could enforce administrative traffic codes, new one for me.
    http://tinyurl.com/y6jhwkw CLICK TO DONATE I'm riding again in 2010!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by actruck View Post
    We had all permits in order and all of our pistols were good to go as well.
    I'm assuming you mean the free permit required to use the range? Can you please explain a little further what you mean by "all of our pistols were good to go" and exactly what all the officer checked/inquired about, as it relates to firearms?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Franklin County)

The inspection sticker says 8/08. I bought the truck last December so this would have been the catch up inspection. I had the tags renewed but neglected the inspection. I have three vehicles and a motorcycle so I'm always watching the inspections. I just missed this one.

To be fair to the officer, he said he does give breaks but unfortunately I was out of his time limits so he had to give me a citation.

Again, I’m not being disrespectful to the DNR as he was only doing his job. It just sucks that it had to be this close to Christmas. This money has to come from some place so…

I didn’t realize the same laws of the road applied to the DNR and the forest either but I can say from experience now that they must.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I'm assuming you mean the free permit required to use the range? Can you please explain a little further what you mean by "all of our pistols were good to go" and exactly what all the officer checked/inquired about, as it relates to firearms?
    Yes, the “Permit” I’m referring to is the free one that is required to use the range.

I had four pistols lying in a case on the table. We had just gotten done shooting a target and on the return trip we noticed the DNR officer standing at the table by our gear. At this time, we were the only ones using the pistol range. He asked to see our permits and asked what pistols we had with us. I assume he was comparing them to what I had listed on my permit. The fellow who was with me though maybe he was checking to see if we had any automatic weapons or pistols that aren’t allowed on the range, I’m not sure though. The office didn’t really go into any detail on the guns once we told him what we had with us. I though we were all clear but this is when he informed me of my expired inspection on my truck and that it would be a violation which would include a citation due to the time laps.

(Franklin County)

Smile Re: Michaux St. Forest Range Incident...

As a LEO I'm happy to hear someone finally take responsibility for thier own. Too many times people put the blame on the cop. Thank you and I hope you have better luck in the future.

(Luzerne County)

What is this permit you speak of? And you have to list the guns you will be shooting on it?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by cop87 View Post
    As a LEO I'm happy to hear someone finally take responsibility for thier own. Too many times people put the blame on the cop. Thank you and I hope you have better luck in the future.
    Nearly 4 months expired is a bit long in my book too, but accepting responsibility for it is refreshing. +1 on what cop87 said and I certainly wish happier shooting adventures for you actruck.

Under what circumstances does one need a permit to use an outdoor range? I've only been to one SGL range near me and no one ever talked about or was asked to show a permit.
    http://tinyurl.com/y6jhwkw CLICK TO DONATE I'm riding again in 2010!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by LM4300 View Post
    Nearly 4 months expired is a bit long in my book too, but accepting responsibility for it is refreshing. +1 on what cop87 said and I certainly wish happier shooting adventures for you actruck.

Under what circumstances does one need a permit to use an outdoor range? I've only been to one SGL range near me and no one ever talked about or was asked to show a permit.
    This range is on the Michaux St. Forest which is state ground so therefore you will need a (free) permit issued by the DCNR office. I picked up one at the office along US30, up from the Caledonia State park on the left. There is a place at the bottom of the permit where you list the guns you will be shooting at the range. I don’t know how critical they are of this information though. A quick call to the PA DCNR office would clarify this.

From a State Civil Service Commission test announcement:

"Park and DCNR (Department of Conservation and Natural Resources) Rangers perform public safety work and promote recreation in state parks and forests. They answer questions concerning facilities, environmental features and history; and explain rules and regulations. They check grounds, buildings, and waterways for vandalism, safety hazards, and cleanliness. In an emergency they may administer first aid or CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) to injured visitors. Rangers also prepare and deliver presentations to school and civic groups and associations. They may operate watercraft, ATVs, snowmobiles, etc. Rangers are required to work rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays, seven days a week. Most Rangers are hired as seasonal employees.

DCNR Rangers also enforce the Commonwealth’s Crimes Code and Vehicle Code; investigate complaints, accidents, and suspected crimes; and coordinate with local and State Police, the Game Commission, and the Fish and Boat Commission concerning violations. They issue citations, file complaints, and present cases before District Justices".

So, can they only enforce crimes and vehicle code violations in state parks and forests (which I am assuming)...or anywhere??