Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Which progressive press is right for me?

I've decided that my tax refund will go towards a progressive press. Here's what I want:

1. I want to be able to use regular dies. I have dies for my calibers (.45ACP and .223) and I don't want to have to buy special dies for a new press.

2. I'd like to be able to load 1,000 .45ACP and/or 500-1000 .223 in a sitting without it taking all night.

3. It has to have a good, accurate, reliable powder dispensing system.

4. It has to be straight forward as far as setup and operation. I don't want to have to tinker with anything to make it work and work well.

So, what press should I buy guys? Give me some guidance!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Which progressive press is right for me?

I bought the rcbs pro 2000. I never reloaded before. It was straight forward to setup. It also came with just about everything but the dies.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

(Pike County)

Buy a Dillon 550. You'll never look back.

(Berks County)

Depending on how much you want to spend, You can take 3 paths. If you go for the Dillon machine you will spend close if not over 1000.00 for the entire set up. If you go the less expnsive way, which is the Lee presses. you can spend as little as 67 dollars for the Turret press, 140 for the Pro 1000 and 215 for the Load master. For .223 Lee says to use the Turret press and not the Pro1000, They do sell the Loadmaster in Rifle calibers. I called Lee and asked them about loading the .223 on the Pro1000. For 45acp you can use any of them. Then you have Hornady Lock and Load for 359 dollars which I hear is a very good machine. I can not give an opinion on Dillon but from what other people tell me they swear by it and would not use anything else. I have only used Lee and they are also good. I purchase Lee equipment because it is less expensive then other equipment. All the Progressive machines have Pros and Cons about them do not let anyone tell you otherwise.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by indiandave View Post
    Buy a Dillon 550. You'll never look back.
    Don't Dillons require special dies?
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    Don't Dillons require special dies?
    Nope. Their site says their toolheads accept any standard die.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    Depending on how much you want to spend, You can take 3 paths. If you go for the Dillon machine you will spend close if not over 1000.00 for the entire set up. If you go the less expnsive way, which is the Lee presses. you can spend as little as 67 dollars for the Turret press, 140 for the Pro 1000 and 215 for the Load master. For .223 Lee says to use the Turret press and not the Pro1000, They do sell the Loadmaster in Rifle calibers. I called Lee and asked them about loading the .223 on the Pro1000. For 45acp you can use any of them. Then you have Hornady Lock and Load for 359 dollars which I hear is a very good machine. I can not give an opinion on Dillon but from what other people tell me they swear by it and would not use anything else. I have only used Lee and they are also good. I purchase Lee equipment because it is less expensive then other equipment. All the Progressive machines have Pros and Cons about them do not let anyone tell you otherwise.
    I am currently using the classic turret press. I'm looking to bump my production rate from there

(Berks County)

To push your rate up for the .223 how is your Turret press set up? The way I was loading .223 is to hand prime a couple hundred and put them in a small bucket next to the press on the left side. Then on the press the first die was for the powder drop, When I pull the handle the first time you load the powder. Then the bullet seating die was next, as I moved the handle with my right hand I grabbed a bullet from the box with my left hand and seated it. Then I would seat the bullet in the case and move on to the next die which would be the factory crimp. When that was completed and the shell holder and the completed bullet was lowered. I would grab the loaded case and put it in a bin and grab another primed case with my left hand Then insert it in the shell holder. I could move pretty fast when I got the flow going the only stopping would be to refill the powder measure.

Just a side note when checking your powder amounts you have to cycle the press completly so it is accurate if you just move the press up and down once you may not get an accurate reading.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    To push your rate up for the .223 how is your Turret press set up? The way I was loading .223 is to hand prime a couple hundred and put them in a small bucket next to the press on the left side. Then on the press the first die was for the powder drop, When I pull the handle the first time you load the powder. Then the bullet seating die was next, as I moved the handle with my right hand I grabbed a bullet from the box with my left hand and seated it. Then I would seat the bullet in the case and move on to the next die which would be the factory crimp. When that was completed and the shell holder and the completed bullet was lowered. I would grab the loaded case and put it in a bin and grab another primed case with my left hand Then insert it in the shell holder. I could move pretty fast when I got the flow going the only stopping would be to refill the powder measure.

Just a side note when checking your powder amounts you have to cycle the press completly so it is accurate if you just move the press up and down once you may not get an accurate reading.
    That's exactly how I do it.

Your last statement has me completely confused though. . . not sure what you're saying there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast