Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Question Denied Firearm Purchase!

Need some information from you guys. When I was fifteen my 18yr old sister passed away suddenly and my father was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. Well my grieving mother involuntarily committed me since I was refusing to attend school. Now 25 and graduating with a bachelors degree from the University of Pittsburgh in criminal justice I will be required to carry a firearm in my field. I was commited on a thursday and the hospital staff told me to sign a voluntary commitement on friday saying it was in my best interest so I did ( I was fifteen I did not know any better) (and hence I was never brought in front of a judge). Well anyway they let me go on monday morning saying that I was defiant, i had asthma, and school phobia...Which is a crock considering I graduated from high school and am graduating from a major university with my bachelors degree. And defiant what 15 year old isn't defiant, and asthma? These diagnoses are hardly a clear and present danger to anyone. Any suggestions would be great! Thank you guys...

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Denied Firearm Purchase!

You probably need to go through the appeals process and then you can sort it out. Also, you might be required to go to a licensed psychiatrist for one visit for an evaluation at which point the doctor can write a report attesting to the soundness of your mental status and that you are not a threat to yourself or anyone else. With that kind of document, no one could presume that you are a threat. However, that's a little risky if you have some unsettled issues brewing beneath the surface. I'd go through the appeals process first, then at some point you could offer to go for an evaluation to "clear your name". I would think the "involuntary" nature of your commitment is actually irrelevant since as an unemancipated minor you did not have the legal right to sign anything on your own behalf anyway. When I do medical procedures on teenagers, I get their parents to sign the informed consent paperwork, and I note in my procedure report that the teenager understood the nature of the problem and the details of the procedure and that the teenager gave me verbal assent to go ahead. But I do not have them sign anything because it is legally meaningless for them to do so. Basically, asking a teenager to sign paperwork for medical treatment is coercive by definition, as your situation so unfortunately demonstrates.

(Westmoreland County)

Welcome to the forum. Pitt eats quiche! LOL.

There have been a few threads on this subject in the last few months. There are also a few lawyers on the board that have been very kind in giving their thoughts on the subject. I'd suggest searching around a bit.
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/search.php?searchid=64405

Alot of these threads cover the topic. Hope it helps.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Erie County)

Your first step which is outline in that link is to

Appeal the denial. The FFL should have given you a form to appeal it. When you do that, the PSP will research it and send you the reason why you were denied. Even though you were committed, make sure to do this, so you know for a fact that is the reason you were denied.

Then just follow that thread, unfortunately it will most likely cost you a few bucks to get everything straightened out.

(Allegheny County)

Thank you all for the information. And yes I did file a appeal after the denial, it was with the state police and they sent me a letter saying that the commitment was the reason. The only bad part about getting the record off is finding a lawyer who knows the mental health procedures act, as well as firearm laws. Which I am having trouble locating. I know this is going to be a process, lengthy and costly. I think its unfortunate that this stuff probably still happens to kids...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by WKB6 View Post
    The only bad part about getting the record off is finding a lawyer who knows the mental health procedures act, as well as firearm laws. Which I am having trouble locating. I know this is going to be a process, lengthy and costly. I think its unfortunate that this stuff probably still happens to kids...
    Philip G. Kline in Quakertown, PA
    (215) 538-4444
    philkjrXXX@XXXsnip.net (Remove the X's)

He's on the other side of the state but I'm 99% sure he handles these types of cases and is very knowledgeable in firearms law being a firearm owner himself. Even if he can't help you he may be able to direct you to someone in your area who can. He's a great guy I've used him in the past for other things.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Allegheny County)

Daniel, thank you very much for giving me Mr. Kline's phone number. I already called him and he was the most knowledgable person about this circumstance I have found. I appreciate your help!!!! He seems to think it won't be a problem to get my rights back. THANK YOU!

(Philadelphia County)

Daniel, thank you very much for giving me Mr. Kline's phone number. I already called him and he was the most knowledgable person about this circumstance I have found. I appreciate your help!!!! He seems to think it won't be a problem to get my rights back. THANK YOU!
    No problem at all PGK is a great guy and if anyone can help you I'm sure he can. It's really a shame you're in this position to start with and I wish you the best of luck getting out of it. Keep us up to date on what happens and next time you talk to Phil tell him danp from PAFOA said hi.

Welcome to the PAFOA
    Last edited by danp; March 26th, 2007 at 03:04 PM.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Lancaster County)

Well my grieving mother involuntarily committed me since I was refusing to attend school.

You can't be "302'd" for not attending school.

Quote Originally Posted by ursavus.elemensis View Post
    I would think the "involuntary" nature of your commitment is actually irrelevant since as an unemancipated minor you did not have the legal right to sign anything on your own behalf anyway.
    In PA children over the age of 14 can sign themselves in for psychiatric evaluation

Act 147 - Minor's Consent for Mental Health Treatment was signed into law
    November 23, 2004 amending the 1970 Act. Senate Bill 137, signed as Act 147, is effective January 22, 2004. The major provisions of the act are: Allows for minors aged 14-17 to voluntarily consent to inpatient or outpatient mental health treatment, without the consent of their parent or guardian; and allows for parents or legal guardians to consent for inpatient or outpatient mental health treatment for minors under age 18, without the consent of the minor. The act also contains detailed provisions for the legal rights of minors to object to inpatient treatment by taking court action, and contains detailed language regarding the release of the mental health records of minors age 14 or older. Legislation in HTML Legislation in PDF

Also FYI - It was in place before 2004 (sorry for the odd spacing) -
    (_2_)_ _ _N_o_t_h_i_n_g_ _i_n_ _t_h_i_s_ _s_e_c_t_i_o_n_ _s_h_a_l_l_ _b_e_ _c_o_n_s_t_r_u_e_d_ _a_s_
    18 r_e_s_t_r_i_c_t_i_n_g_ _o_r_ _a_l_t_e_r_i_n_g_ _a_ _m_i_n_o_r_'_s_ _e_x_i_s_t_i_n_g_ _r_i_g_h_t_s_,_ _i_n_c_l_u_d_i_n_g_,_
    19 b_u_t_ _n_o_t_ _l_i_m_i_t_e_d_ _t_o_,_ _t_h_o_s_e_ _e_n_u_m_e_r_a_t_e_d_ _u_n_d_e_r_ _t_h_e_ _a_c_t_ _o_f_ _J_u_l_y_ _9_,_
    20 1_9_7_6_ _(_P_._L_._8_1_7_,_ _N_o_._1_4_3_)_,_ _k_n_o_w_n_ _a_s_ _t_h_e_ _"_M_e_n_t_a_l_ _H_e_a_l_t_h_ _P_r_o_c_e_d_u_r_e_s_
    21 A_c_t_,_"_ _t_o_ _c_o_n_s_e_n_t_ _t_o_ _v_o_l_u_n_t_a_r_y_ _i_n_p_a_t_i_e_n_t_ _m_e_n_t_a_l_ _h_e_a_l_t_h_ _t_r_e_a_t_m_e_n_t_
    22 o_n_ _h_i_s_ _o_r_ _h_e_r_ _o_w_n_ _b_e_h_a_l_f_ _a_t_ _f_o_u_r_t_e_e_n_ _y_e_a_r_s_ _o_f_ _a_g_e_ _o_r_ _o_l_d_e_r_._

(Allegheny County)

I have done some research on the subject and yes a minor does have rights. However even though they involuntarily committed me at first for observation; they say that the papers still go to the state police. I do not think it is right since they were going to release me the next morning. You would think that they would not send the papers if they did not find me messed up. Who knows though. I have now ordered my medical records so that I can fight it. Just saving up now for what I am sure is going to be a hefty attorney bill. Thanks for all your help to everyone, I really appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast