Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Have Gun — Will Travel: How to Fly With Your Firearm

Have Gun — Will Travel: How to Fly With Your Firearm

Last month I flew down to Austin to spend the weekend with the fine folks from Atomic Athlete for their Vanguard event. The Vanguard was basically 36 hours of man skills — we learned how to humanely slaughter rabbits and chickens, land navigation, and even some self-defense techniques from Tim Kennedy. It was awesome. I’ll be doing a full write-up on it soon, so stay tuned for that.

One segment of the event was a firearms class, and we needed to bring our own pistol and ammo to participate in it. Because I was flying, I would have to pack my gun for the trip. Having endured, along with my fellow Americans, thirteen years of taking off our shoes, putting our tiny toiletries in see-through baggies, and getting patted down by TSA agents, I figured flying with an actual, honest-to-goodness weapon would be a nightmare fraught with all sorts of bureaucratic, red tape rigmarole.

As it turned out, except for a small mishap, flying with a gun is surprisingly easy. Today I’ll share my experience and what I learned from it, in case any of you find yourself needing to travel with firearms and ammunition.
    http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/1...-your-firearm/
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Chester County)

Default Re: Have Gun — Will Travel: How to Fly With Your Firearm

Sure, flying with a checked firearm is easy, but just be aware that you will end up on the TSA list.

My wife flies for work rather frequently. In her group is a guy that hunts and has checked firearms when flying. He is pulled aside for the special screening far more often than anyone else in the group that regularly flies together. He asked a friendlier TSA agent about his much higher than average selection for the special screening and was asked if he had ever checked a firearm. When he replied in the affirmative, he got a wink and a nod.

So, once you check a firearm, you are on their list, even if not flying with one that time.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Have Gun — Will Travel: How to Fly With Your Firearm