Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: trapping pics ( warning- trapped and/or dead animals)

Nice catches there XD40coyote.

My family hasn't trapped in years. We still have all our traps and baskets out at the farm though just incase. My uncle Ken was the district 4 director of the PA Trappers Association back in the '80s.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Those foxes are just so beautiful, I always smile when I see a fox or two run through my yard.

I caught 81 total that season
    That sounds like a lot, If I had that many I would try to make fox pajamas.
    In order to get intelligent answers you must speak intelligently.

(York County)

Years ago, I was very much involved in a wildlife rehab group specializing in Raptors. We only worked w/ hawks, owls, falcons, eagles, ospreys & vultures but I was aquainted with the mammal rehabers. At the time, the mammal rehab permit holder I knew was working with Penn State to reintroduce river otters to the state. That was at least 10 years ago. Have River Otters regained enough of a wild population for trappers to harvest them without undoing the efforts of Penn State and those who worked on that project?

Not judging at all... Just asking because I'm curious. I have nothing against trapping.

I know someone who has a place in Fla & they trap Iguanas down there as nuisance animals.

Hey XDCoyote... If you'd cage trap it, have a big ground hog that you can come catch for me before he eats next year's veggie garden! His den is in a neighbor's yard & he's chewed several of my fence boards to make passage ways through my yard. I can't shoot where I live so I tried a live cage trap. When I tried to get him this past summer/fall all I ended up doing was relocating a squirell from my yard to Rocky Ridge. That's ok too... the neighbor feeds them peanuts (seemingly by the ton) & I end up with an entire yard coated in peanut shell mulch. Next spring/summer many more neighborhood squirels will be joining their buddy at RR. Hopefully so will the GH.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

The otters are caught in MD. The DNR just upped the bag limit to 10 per season for most of the counties in the state, including Baltimore and Harford. This might send a lil hint to the PGC, though I think they are deaf and blind to the otters in York and Lancaster counties.

Now I love catching otters, but it was such a PIA getting them tagged last season I am having reservations about setting for them on purpose. Maybe the DNR should just issue 10 tags at season open to each trapper who asks, and then at the season end the trapper sends in a sheet with the catch total recorded and counties they were caught in, tag #'s used, and sends back any unused tags. I understand some states do this with bobcats.

Trapping nuisance groundhogs- I cannot do it in PA, not lisc'd to do so, but I know a guy who is. He will charge you something to do it though, or you can trade something. Though if you want to try it again, you need a raccoon size trap and use apples as bait. Catch a squirrel or whatever, get it removed from the trap, and reset with fresh bait. You can keep it set only during daylight if you want to avoid possible raccoons, possums or even skunks. Groundhogs are daytime animals for the most part.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    The otters are caught in MD. The DNR just upped the bag limit to 10 per season for most of the counties in the state, including Baltimore and Harford. This might send a lil hint to the PGC, though I think they are deaf and blind to the otters in York and Lancaster counties.

Now I love catching otters, but it was such a PIA getting them tagged last season I am having reservations about setting for them on purpose. Maybe the DNR should just issue 10 tags at season open to each trapper who asks, and then at the season end the trapper sends in a sheet with the catch total recorded and counties they were caught in, tag #'s used, and sends back any unused tags. I understand some states do this with bobcats.

Trapping nuisance groundhogs- I cannot do it in PA, not lisc'd to do so, but I know a guy who is. He will charge you something to do it though, or you can trade something. Though if you want to try it again, you need a raccoon size trap and use apples as bait. Catch a squirrel or whatever, get it removed from the trap, and reset with fresh bait. You can keep it set only during daylight if you want to avoid possible raccoons, possums or even skunks. Groundhogs are daytime animals for the most part.

THANKS for the info! Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by 87th PVI View Post
    Years ago, I was very much involved in a wildlife rehab group specializing in Raptors. We only worked w/ hawks, owls, falcons, eagles, ospreys & vultures but I was aquainted with the mammal rehabers. At the time, the mammal rehab permit holder I knew was working with Penn State to reintroduce river otters to the state. That was at least 10 years ago. Have River Otters regained enough of a wild population for trappers to harvest them without undoing the efforts of Penn State and those who worked on that project?

Not judging at all... Just asking because I'm curious. I have nothing against trapping.

I know someone who has a place in Fla & they trap Iguanas down there as nuisance animals.

Hey XDCoyote... If you'd cage trap it, have a big ground hog that you can come catch for me before he eats next year's veggie garden! His den is in a neighbor's yard & he's chewed several of my fence boards to make passage ways through my yard. I can't shoot where I live so I tried a live cage trap. When I tried to get him this past summer/fall all I ended up doing was relocating a squirell from my yard to Rocky Ridge. That's ok too... the neighbor feeds them peanuts (seemingly by the ton) & I end up with an entire yard coated in peanut shell mulch. Next spring/summer many more neighborhood squirels will be joining their buddy at RR. Hopefully so will the GH.
    Sounds like an archery GH hnt.

(York County)

The Bow will come out if I don't get him in the live trap soon enough... I wanted to do that with a big rat that took up residence in my parents garage many many moons ago, but my dad poisoned it instead. I couldn't believe he didn't want me shooting the bow in the back yard but he'd rather take the chance of some bird of prey or neighborhood cat getting secondary poisoning! All worked out in the end though... the rat came out of the garage & laid in my mom's lilly's to die (no lie) & then the funniest thing was watching my dad jump about 3 feet when the rat twitched as he was picking it up with a shovel to discard.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSHOVEL View Post
    XD,

Your truely the ultimate outdoorswoman. Trapping is a skill and an art few have patience or ability for. The bait, scent, correct set and time. Good for you, you have accomplished something few are disciplined enough to do correctly for the result catching a wild animal in their environment. For those who say it's cruel, your website is located at PETA.com you'll find lots of folks who think like you. Is a squirrel pole snare legal in MD? Thank's for the great pics, as you have much to be proud of.

Brad
    +1
    I have to agree with BIGSHOVEL, trapping is a skill, one that I have not been able to master. I tried it for 2 seasons 10+ years ago and total for those 2 seasons were 10 rats 2 fox and like 3 skunks(i hated the skunks).Nice job and thanks for the pics.

As I said before, you need to visit her shop!!!!!!!!!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by WitsBusa View Post
    so those traps snap on their legs or whatever body part, presumably breaking bones.. I guess I shouldn't be in this thread but that sure isn't for me. Hunting is one thing, with a quick kill..

how long do the animals sit there with their body part crushed in your trap?

I'm not trying to be a dick as there are plenty of things I didn't not grow up around that I find troubling, and to people who have grown up with the activities it is perfectly normal..
    When I took my hunter/trapper education someone in the class asked these questions. The instructor took a trap he said he used for foxes, put his wrist it in and triggered it. He didn't even wince. He said the trap didn't cause any broken bones or cuts but did restrict blood flow that would eventually numb the limb around the trapped area. He also said something about making sure to check traps once a day and says he usually checks his once in the morning and once at night just to make sure nothing is in there for a long period of time

I've always been interested in it and I'd like to get involved with it sometime but I don't know if I have a use for anything I'd trap as I really only hunt for the food aspect (I dont even know If I do that well) but congrats on a nice season.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast