Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: trapping pics ( warning- trapped and/or dead animals)

I'm curious as to how you dispatch the live ones you trap? I can imagine a .22 to the skull, but I'm not sure if that is legal in the trapping world...

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Luzerne County)

Is the fox fur as soft as it looks?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Montgomery County)

so those traps snap on their legs or whatever body part, presumably breaking bones.. I guess I shouldn't be in this thread but that sure isn't for me. Hunting is one thing, with a quick kill..

how long do the animals sit there with their body part crushed in your trap?

I'm not trying to be a dick as there are plenty of things I didn't not grow up around that I find troubling, and to people who have grown up with the activities it is perfectly normal..

(Blair County)

XD,

Your truely the ultimate outdoorswoman. Trapping is a skill and an art few have patience or ability for. The bait, scent, correct set and time. Good for you, you have accomplished something few are disciplined enough to do correctly for the result catching a wild animal in their environment. For those who say it's cruel, your website is located at PETA.com you'll find lots of folks who think like you. Is a squirrel pole snare legal in MD? Thank's for the great pics, as you have much to be proud of.

Brad
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

The traps do not break bones, excepting some muskrats but they go down a drowner line and die pretty fast. Raccoons sometimes chew at their toes, but they aren't feeling anything, as the traps close tight enough to make the toes go numb. Also since I trap alot for taxidermy mountable specimens, I use alot of the rubber padded traps. The full metal jaw traps sometimes cause small cuts and foot rubs from the animal jumping around after being caught.

Wild animals have tough feet , as do dogs and cats. Yes I do sometimes catch cats and once in a while a dog, its well populated in my area, lots of houses interspersed about and the resulting pets running around. I always set away from houses though unless its the landowner and they WANT me to set wherever is needed to get rid of pests like foxes and coons. Last year I caught a little weiner dog in a coyote sized trap, there were no cuts, and certainly there was nothing broken. The dog had wandered a goodly ways from home. People need to abide by the leash laws, in fact a loose dog has a much higher chance of being hit and killed by a car, or caught running game or livestock and shot for it. Cats I know will roam, but most of the ones I have caught were either barn cats, or true ferals. I have caught myself before too LOL, smarts a bit, causes a bruise, but nothing serious at all.

To give you an idea of how few nontargets I catch ( contrary to the BS peta and HSUS put out), here's this seasons catch so far:

21 red foxes
    4 raccoons
    1 big fat possum
    2 semi feral cats ( barn/farm cats)
    1 cottontail rabbit

That's 26 target furbearers ( I do count possums and skunks, they are a given they will get in a fox set now and then- and raccoons are totally normal to get in fox sets) and 3 nontargets. The 2 cats were released practically unharmed, and I also released the possum, also practically unharmed. The rabbit was half eaten by a hawk or owl, and I used some of it as fox bait.

How do I dispatch the animals? I have gone to just shooting them all, the coons in the head, the foxes in the chest either heart of dbl lung. I usually release the possums. Skunks I use the injection pole ( that's whats in the pic of the skunk). They are calm if you approach slow, and I can use the extendable paint pole at 8' and gently poke them in between the ribs and inject them with 10cc's of acetone and they go down pretty fast. I then inject the now unconcious skunk again to just be sure, don't want a skunk coming back to life. They do not spray with this method. I wish I could use the stuff vets use ( sodium pentobarbitol) but it is a controlled substance I believe you need a lisc to be able to get and possess. I have seen a video of a skunk injected with about 1 cc of this and just go down in literally 1-2 seconds.

What do I do with the dead animals? I skin them for the fur, with several being skinned for full mounts ( foxes mainly). Some I keep and mount up to sell the mounts to non hunters. Others I sell to other taxidermists all over the country. Some I keep and get tanned and make hats, or to sell as just a tanned pelt. The rest of the catch I sell or trade with a furbuyer in NYS. I have traded over the years for fishers, pine martens, a nearly all white otter, and 3 color phases of eastern coyotes. Beavers I also save the meat to eat.
    LOL, I am a woman...

Quote Originally Posted by WitsBusa View Post
    so those traps snap on their legs or whatever body part, presumably breaking bones.. I guess I shouldn't be in this thread but that sure isn't for me. Hunting is one thing, with a quick kill..

how long do the animals sit there with their body part crushed in your trap?

I'm not trying to be a dick as there are plenty of things I didn't not grow up around that I find troubling, and to people who have grown up with the activities it is perfectly normal..
    You are going off of the lies and bullcrap of the animal groups, keep in mind they employ the SAME tactics as the Brady's.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Fayette County)

i'm all for trapping and dispatching varmints and other pest animals but i hate to see foxes trapped and just killed in general, to me they are such a beautiful creature.

but other wise, looks like you get good hauls. i always wanted to trap. i need to get into it so i can get rid of those damn beavers out by where i used to hunt. they flooded the entire way into where i normally would go but couldn't this year because of them.

(Lawrence County)

Good job Coyote... I always wanted to trap, but never had any idea where to sell the skins... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Allegheny County)

Damn fine job Coyote...
    Never got into the trapping thing. But I can appreciated the skill and dedication that it takes to be successful at it.
    That is to say nothing of the fact that you taxidermy your own hides. That my friend is no small feat. It is a real art form.
    You should be damn proud friend.
    Thank you for showing us your passion. It is great to see the different passions of other PAFOAers...
    Good luck with your trapping Coyote...
    Don't worry about the haters...there is always haters...
    -A
    No matter who you vote for the government always gets in.

Quote Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
    Damn fine job Coyote...
    Never got into the trapping thing. But I can appreciated the skill and dedication that it takes to be successful at it.
    That is to say nothing of the fact that you taxidermy your own hides. That my friend is no small feat. It is a real art form.
    You should be damn proud friend.
    Thank you for showing us your passion. It is great to see the different passions of other PAFOAers...
    Good luck with your trapping Coyote...
    Don't worry about the haters...there is always haters...
    -A
    I also do taxidermy professionally for anyone, not just for myself or to resell to nonhunters. My specialty is anything with hair or fur. Deer, bear, coyote, fox, raccoon, mink, beaver, otter, fisher, bobcat, lynx, wolf, cougar, wild hogs, pronghorn, elk, caribou, African game, etc. One of my favorites is the coyote LOL!
    LOL, I am a woman...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast