Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default AR-15 magazine disassembly

A couple years ago I bought 2 cheapo 30rd AR-15 magazines at a gun show, and I think I got what I paid for. I'm considering swapping out the followers for something a little better. Only problem is, I'm not sure how to take off the floorplates to get the springs & followers out. Is there a way to do it without destroying them and installing new floorplates?

I'm too cheap to pay for my own web connection right now, and the library blocks access to the sites that I can turn up with a Google search on this topic. Thankfully PAFOA somehow eludes their "weapons/bombs" filter, haha.

Thanks in advance for any help.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: AR-15 magazine disassembly

(Centre County)

Tried to convert to PDF for you, but the forum didn't like the 10mb file size.

g00gle "free proxy servers" they don't work perfectly sometimes on public computers, but they will let you get around some of the blocking instructions.

http://www.freeproxyserver.net/

http://www.turbohide.com/

(Philadelphia County)

uuhhhhh, it depends how elcheapo you went. If the mag bodies, springs and floorplates are servicible what you do is just push up on the bit where the tab is bent on the floorplate or use something in the hole in the floorplate to lever the tab up and then push it in the direction of the floorplate. If they are truly el cheapo POS mags I'd seriousy just ditch them and buy PMAGS, shitty mags are not worth the hassle and aggravation no matter what the price.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Berks County)

Thanks for the help guys. I got the floor plates off. I kind of figured it would involve prying through the hole, but I thought that would damage the plate and make it unusable. It's nowhere near as bad as I expected.

I'll have to check out the proxies. To be honest though, I'm kinda glad that the library filter make arfcom much less of a temptation.

Thanks again!

(Armstrong County)

Since you are that cheap, you deserve the feed problems that you get when you don't want to pay for quality magazines.
    I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by CENTERMAST View Post
    Since you are that cheap, you deserve the feed problems that you get when you don't want to pay for quality magazines.
    Thats real nice. Why even respond. Some folks can barely afford food and others are making $250,000 a year. All different levels, and each will explore his way around the adventure that is life and do the best he can. There is no need to be rude to him.

Your mags are most likley some old alluminum GI mag, maybe the O-K mags (look at the bottom). With the aftermarket springs and followers, they will work great... but for the price to upgrade you can get the Magpul Pmags. So next time you feel like spending $16 each, call Charles Daly Defense and order yourself a Magpul Pmag or 2...or 5...but until then, do the best you can with what you got!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    Thats real nice. Why even respond. Some folks can barely afford food and others are making $250,000 a year. All different levels, and each will explore his way around the adventure that is life and do the best he can. There is no need to be rude to him.

Your mags are most likely some old aluminum GI mag, maybe the O-K mags (look at the bottom). With the aftermarket springs and followers, they will work great... but for the price to upgrade you can get the Magpul Pmags. So next time you feel like spending $16 each, call Charles Daly Defense and order yourself a Magpul Pmag or 2...or 5...but until then, do the best you can with what you got!
    Yeah no kidding. There are better ways to boost your post count.
    They hopefully are old USGI's, I just know the mags I got when I bought my first rifle were true noname POS mags, the floorplates were flat and wouldn't feed the last round. I ended up buying some good Al USGI mags and have never looked back.
    +1 for running what you got and just picking up a mag a month. If you do get into the rifle, that habit will probably be a lifelong habit until you need a storage unit to hold all your mags.
    Last edited by Legion_Prime; December 17th, 2008 at 05:29 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CENTERMAST View Post
    I have paid for quality mags. I was not asking about them here.

I have also paid for not-so-quality mags, which I chose to discuss here. My interest in working on them comes from 2 things:

1. I hate wasting something that might be useful someday.

2. A big part of my interest in this hobby is mechanical in nature. In life in general (not just with guns), I love taking apart things that don't work quite right, figuring out how they work, and then making them functional. So, doing things like screwing around with crappy mags trying to get them to work is fun all by itself, even if I never get them to work right. Even if these were the greatest mags in the world, I would still eventually take them apart someday just out of curiosity.

So what's with the attitude? I never said my life is going to depend on these mags. The general lack of comments like yours above is part of what makes this forum great.

To everyone else, thanks again for all the help.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    I have paid for quality mags. I was not asking about them here.

I have also paid for not-so-quality mags, which I chose to discuss here. My interest in working on them comes from 2 things:

1. I hate wasting something that might be useful someday.

2. A big part of my interest in this hobby is mechanical in nature. In life in general (not just with guns), I love taking apart things that don't work quite right, figuring out how they work, and then making them functional. So, doing things like screwing around with crappy mags trying to get them to work is fun all by itself, even if I never get them to work right. Even if these were the greatest mags in the world, I would still eventually take them apart someday just out of curiosity.

So what's with the attitude? I never said my life is going to depend on these mags. The general lack of comments like yours above is part of what makes this forum great.

To everyone else, thanks again for all the help.
    Shit man, don't go for any of them new BFG mags then, you'll hate them. They're non-takeaparteable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast