Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Question Question about vehicle transport under 21

Background: Father has a CCP. Guns are all in his name as are the cars.

I plan on getting a Sportman's Firearm Permit next week. I'm 19

I have a question about the legality of transporting a gun in my car. I commute to college and home every week. About 4 hours in the car. Is it legal for me to have a handgun and ammunition (2 seperate containers) in the trunk for emergencies?

For example, last weekend a deer was hit on the road but not dead, it would have been nice to have something to put it out of it's misery.

So if I get a sportsman's firearm permit and carry it with my hunting/fishing license. Couldn't I legally carry a handgun in the car (unload in the trunk)?

Also I know in PA law it says something about if the gun is owned by the person with the CCP and the car is registered to that person (my father) no license is required.

Basically I want to keep a handgun in the trunk for emergencies but want to be able to do so legally.

Default Re: Question about vehicle transport under 21

I think it says you have to be driving to and from a sporting event, the gun can not be loaded. so... I would say, do what you think is best...
    ΑΣΦ

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam M Geer View Post
    I think it says you have to be driving to and from a sporting event, the gun can not be loaded. so... I would say, do what you think is best...
    Yep that part I know. But I mean, couldn't I say that I was going target shooting at home and I was on my way there. I know it's a technicality but...

Also what about my dad's CCP permit, does that cover the vehicle having a gun in it even if I am under 21? Since both the gun and the car are in his name?

You cannot shoot a hit deer.

PGC rules.

Must be leo or PGC.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    You cannot shoot a hit deer.

PGC rules.

Must be leo or PGC.
    I would have dealt with that problem later. If you would have seen the condition of the deer....

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1189 View Post
    I would have dealt with that problem later. If you would have seen the condition of the deer....
    You raise some good questions and I have no doubt you have good parents and your intentions are honorable. However, why put yourself at risk for an arrest needlessly? Why put your family through the arrest ordeal? Why possibly ruin whatever future you have so you can have an unloaded pistol in the truck of your vehicle?

There are reasons for laws, some good, some not so good. But, the fact is, you just might run into that super dickhead LEO and end up in jail, firearm confiscated, and car impounded...is it really worth all that just to maybe, in case of, shoot a second or third deer? Also, as one person pointed out, its illegal to shoot deer unless you are a LEO. Again, why put yourself at risk for arrest and prosecution?

I suggest you wait another two years, obtain some very good CCW training, and then apply for and recieve legal authority to carry a weapon.

(Luzerne County)

18Pa.C.S.§6106(b)(13)
    13. Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    so does that apply to me since I am not 21 but 19

(Luzerne County)

Background: Father has a CCP. Guns are all in his name as are the cars.

I plan on getting a Sportman's Firearm Permit next week. I'm 19

I have a question about the legality of transporting a gun in my car. I commute to college and home every week. About 4 hours in the car. Is it legal for me to have a handgun and ammunition (2 seperate containers) in the trunk for emergencies?

For example, last weekend a deer was hit on the road but not dead, it would have been nice to have something to put it out of it's misery.

So if I get a sportsman's firearm permit and carry it with my hunting/fishing license. Couldn't I legally carry a handgun in the car (unload in the trunk)?

Also I know in PA law it says something about if the gun is owned by the person with the CCP and the car is registered to that person (my father) no license is required.

Basically I want to keep a handgun in the trunk for emergencies but want to be able to do so legally.
    No, being that you do not have a LTCF you cannot carry a firearm in your vehicle, "just in case". Without the LTCF you are limited to where you can carry the firearm, like to the range and back, gunsmith, etc.

Also, as already stated on the PGC or a LEO can legally put down an injured deer.

(Luzerne County)

so does that apply to me since I am not 21 but 19
    No. This law is to prevent someone from being jammed up because the parent or spouse left a handgun in the vehicle. It doesn't give you the freedom to knowingly drive around with the firearm in the vehicle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast