Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: [Centre] How many frequent the PAGC Scotia Range?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ronin View Post
    I'm down for something like this. Other than just general cleaning, what exactly can we do to help, without access to a oxy-acetylene torch...
    Bring fresh cardboard for the backers. Hardware and appliance stores usually have thick, study stuff by the dumpsters.

If someone has a generator, I can bring a MIG welder. It's only 110V, but it will easily weld 3/8" mild steel. I've welded angle iron with it. It can probably be pushed to 1/4", butit would be pretty slow going.
    Anyway, I'm willing to bring it if someone chips in with a spool of .030" wire to feed it.

One thing I'd like to see is some 15yd and/or 25yd backers on the aux range to keep the pistol shooters behind the firing line.

(Centre County)

I'm not a big fan of Scotia either. Too many weird rules and people who don't pick up after themselves. I used to have my own personal rifle range until my uncle sold his property. I still have a place to shoot pistols but since I moved I no longer have any private range
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson

(Centre County)

I've been using the range since '84, and actually it's come a long way since then.It does need some new target holders though. The Aux range is a godawful mess, and needs some serious grooming.
    For the life of me, I can't think of any wierd rules, but I've been going there for so long I'm probably used to them.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Scotia either. Too many weird rules and people who don't pick up after themselves. I used to have my own personal rifle range until my uncle sold his property. I still have a place to shoot pistols but since I moved I no longer have any private range
    I dont really mind if people dont pick up the range brass after there done with it.... More for me!
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Centre County)

I just purchased my first handguns (S&W M&P .40 and S&W .22) and I was looking for a place to shoot. I have heard of Scotia but have never been there. Can anyone direct me to a website with info on the range? Or, send me private email if you have a minute.
    Thanks.

(Centre County)

I've been there quite a few times, but I really don't need to go out there since I have my own personal range at my parents house

(Centre County)

I've been using it since '94. They used to have a donation box that I'm assuming they put torward maintenance. It's been abused for sure. Last time I was on the rifle range they only had one set of pipes for a target stand at 200 yards. I just use it now to test fire and zero weapons. Most of the time I try to go, it's closed anyway.

I've been shooting at a club range or out of town if I'm planning on spending the day or want to load more than 3 rounds at a time in my AR.

Last time I was there some college kid was letting his buddy shoot his pistol. Kid loaded it with it pointed towards me. When I see a group of people but only one has a weapon, I figure it's "show and tell" time, so I go someplace else.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by arrrrgh15 View Post
    I've been using it since '94. They used to have a donation box that I'm assuming they put torward maintenance. It's been abused for sure. Last time I was on the rifle range they only had one set of pipes for a target stand at 200 yards. I just use it now to test fire and zero weapons. Most of the time I try to go, it's closed anyway.

I've been shooting at a club range or out of town if I'm planning on spending the day or want to load more than 3 rounds at a time in my AR.

Last time I was there some college kid was letting his buddy shoot his pistol. Kid loaded it with it pointed towards me. When I see a group of people but only one has a weapon, I figure it's "show and tell" time, so I go someplace else.
    There was a similar incident when i was there at the auxiliary range. Lots of people there. There was a group of 5 or 6 which was some guys with their GFs teaching them how to shoot. Then 2 guys that were behind them with a case and several pistols. The one guy in the group of 2 was there and he was swinging a .44 magnum around while he was walking back and forth between loading and firing. Then he proceeded to take what looked to be a glock and slapped the mag in and racked the slide while he was behind the other group of people. At that point there was a older gentleman who got up and said to ronin and i, "someones gonna get shot." And that was the point where ronin and i decided to leave.
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Centre County)

Yep. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that the guys with firearms are taking their friends out to shoot, but a little safety instruction with the new guys would go a long way. Point weapon down range at all times, DONT point them at other people, etc. etc. And a little consideration for the rules will help keep the range open.

It seems to calm down in the summer. That's when I try to get out there.

I'd be willing to help out for a range clean up day if the PAGC would allow it. And if it means I need to run out to Lowes and buy some PVC pipe, I'd be willing to set new target stand out at the 200 if they haven't been replaced yet.

This is the only range central to State College, it'd be nice to keep it open, keep it clean, and keep it safe.

(Centre County)

I'm headed out there in about an hour. I'm bringing a garbage bag to pick up the crap that people leave. No offense to you college kids, but I think more PSU students have been buying firearms, and the same dipshits who take their GFs out there to impress them are the ones who leave the place a mess.
    I also think a lot of these guys who are "teaching" their friends how to shoot are first-time gun owners themselves.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast