Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default powder recomendations

i have been looking around and seen alot of suggestions but no reasons behind the powder most people use. I guess i am not understanding powders.

What is the diffrence in grains 2?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: powder recomendations

The main difference in powders is their rate of burn. A faster burning powder is good for lighter weight bullets and the slower burning are used for you heavier bullets. Some powders are cleaner burning than others while some just give a shooter a more accurate load. Some folks reload to get their bullet to go as fast as possible. If you have someone to get advice from, such as I did, it will save you the time of trying different powders. Otherwise you will just have to do a little research and trial and error to find a powder that suits your needs.
    The grains is the weight measurement used for measuring the powder as well as the bullet. The more grains, the heavier the load and that means more pressure. Not enough grains and the bullet might not make it out of the barrel. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, ask away.
    Last edited by shooter357; December 11th, 2008 at 06:34 PM. Reason: added info
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Adams County)

Powders have different burning rates. There are "fast" powders and "slow" powders and a whole range in between.

As a general rule, fast powders are used for shotgun and pistol and slower ones are used for rifle. Heavier bullets and large cases typically use slower powders. Slower ones will generally require more grains to do the job. With rifle reloading, I usually select a powder that will fill the case to between 85-100% full. There is a range of burn rates that will be suitable for every bullet/case combination.

If you are thinking about reloading, beg/borrow/buy a reloading manual. There is usually a section in the front where they explain the whole process, components, etc.

(Chester County)

Here's some general info:

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

http://www.chuckhawks.com/smokeless_powder.htm

do a google for "smokeless powder grains" and you can pick from a wealth of info.