Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunset Hill...

(Monroe County)

Default Sunset Hill...

Hi, this is my first time on the forums around here. I just moved to East Stroudsburg from Colorado. I was just wondering if Sunset Hill was any good (worth the money). And also if anyone knew of any other ranges in Monroe county.
    I called Sunset Hill, and they told me I have to take some sort of safety course which costs $10-25 on top of range fees. That's kinda pricey for me.
    Any alternatives?

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

(Berks County)

Default Re: Sunset Hill...

Best thing to do is find your local gun shop and ask about local ranges and clubs.

Most rod and gun clubs are around $25 a year for membership. Most have some type of trap, pistol and rifle range and many have a clubhouse. Some of the bigger ones have more organized activities throughout the year and fundraisers and such.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Luzerne County)

Sunset Hills is a place to shoot. Over on the Sig Forum we used to have shoots up there until a few years ago. Everyone had to take the "safety test" which is really easy.

You could always shoot at the free PGC range on SGL #127 outside Gouldsboro.

(Monroe County)

Go take a look at Sunset Hill - you don't have to join anything, so it wouldn't cost you that much (can't recall their fees offhand).

Their specialty is the ability to rent guns, and because of this they get a lot of traffic - many from NJ and NY. This is kept over to one side of the range, so if you bring your own stuff, you should be OK.

They have converted a few of their handgun lanes to use a pulley system - to me it's OK....something about them doesn't seem right - like they are crooked or something (I shot really bad the one time I tried them).

The other lanes you shoot at objects (bowling pins, wood chips, stuffed animals) that are hanging from a stand about 30 yards away. Kind of fun, and what I prefer when out there.

I didn't think the safety training was extra money, but I could of forgotten about that. Basically you demonstate your ability to load/unload and shoot a few rounds downrange with an instructor. Took 10 minutes max.

There is also the public range, but I've never made it out there. One of these days....

(Monroe County)

Hey Shady, D-man is absolutely right. Sunset Hill is a great place to shoot.

Now I haven't been there in months, but as far as I know, the fee is still $15 for the initial visit ($10 for the range fee and $5 for the short saftey talk and walkthrough), then each additional time you go, you present the card they initially gave you and it is only $10 range fee.

There are many more ways to spend money there. If you want to shoot skeet, it will cost you about $20 for 50 rounds at a clay target with your own ammo. You will save a lot of money if you bring your own guns and your own ammo. They do sell ammo and rent guns there.

(Monroe County)

Thanks to everyone for your input. I suppose I'll go check out Sunset Hill and just bring my own rifles and ammo.

Thanks again!

(Monroe County)

Their specialty is the ability to rent guns, and because of this they get a lot of traffic - many from NJ and NY
    Sounds like that would good for battle rifle comparisons before buying one.

(Pike County)

Sunset Hill charges something like $35 the first time you shoot there, this includes being cleared by their range instructors and then you can shoot all day. If you are clearly experienced they only charge $20 and that includes your range membership. An instructor will explain the rules and observe you to make sure you qualify, then leave you on your own. Subsequent visits cost $10 for unlimited time at the stationary and hanging targets. If you want the pulley setup, I think it’s $10/hour.

They are very reasonable priced, I just paid $9.99 a box 9mm and $11.99 a box .380 yesterday. Dunkelberger’s were about $1.50 more a box each. You can rent a variety of guns from them for about $5.00 plus range fees and ammo. If you bring your own shotguns, clays are about $6.00 per 25 plus ammo with no other range fees. And they plan to have a 5 station regulation trap range sometime by the fall.

They have a knowledgeable staff and an expert gunsmith. A real nice place to visit.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Sunset Hill charges something like $35 the first time you shoot there, this includes being cleared by their range instructors and then you can shoot all day. If you are clearly experienced they only charge $20 and that includes your range membership. An instructor will explain the rules and observe you to make sure you qualify, then leave you on your own. Subsequent visits cost $10 for unlimited time at the stationary and hanging targets. If you want the pulley setup, I think it’s $10/hour.

They are very reasonable priced, I just paid $9.99 a box 9mm and $11.99 a box .380 yesterday. Dunkelberger’s were about $1.50 more a box each. You can rent a variety of guns from them for about $5.00 plus range fees and ammo. If you bring your own shotguns, clays are about $6.00 per 25 plus ammo with no other range fees. And they plan to have a 5 station regulation trap range sometime by the fall.

They have a knowledgeable staff and an expert gunsmith. A real nice place to visit.

For me it was a 20 initial fee... safety course inlcuded...

each time you go its 10 to shoot in an open bay an extra 5 for the pulley and a 10 dollar deposit for the pulley bay..

It was my assumption that that was for an hour not all day...

As for ammo.. .40 S&W was like 14.50 for a box of 50... walmart has winchester .40 s&W for 19.50 for 100 rounds.. some calibers may be priced good but not .40 S&W.....

I agree that the staff is pretty cool... very safety focused... butter to go to the range early in the morning before all the tourist show up....

Charlie B,

Is there a state range up in pike county near wallenpaupack? I though I heard there was one but couldnt locate it...
    Last edited by GetSome; June 5th, 2007 at 07:47 PM.

(Luzerne County)

SGL #183 range is off of Rt 6 on the eastern side of the lake. If you check out the PGC web site you'll find the listing and directions for all the ranges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast