Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Going for my CC and looking to purchase first handgun..

I plan next week to go and get my CC (LTCF thanks imperialism I did not realize it was technically titled this.) as well as surprise my dad with a early Christmas present for paying for his CC (I know not much but hey im laid-off)

Anything I need to know before going to my county sheriff's office? I read online a several places but it doesn't sound I "need" anything.

Also I have been looking for a gun to CC (if I ever choose to do so) I have been looking at a Kahr 9mm, stopped in cabela's today and saw a CW one it looks like something I could conceal on me (5' 7" 180lbs/athletic build)

Any recommendations?
    Last edited by sethyboy85; December 11th, 2008 at 01:37 AM.
    I am on far too many forums, varying too many subjects- this could get expensive.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Going for my CC and looking to purchase first handgun..

Well, first off, it's a "License to Carry Firearms". It allows you to carry openly or concealed anywhere in the state, instead of the limited open carry that is legal without a LTCF.

Fondle a lot of guns, and find the one that fits your hand the best. The better the gun feels, the more you'll practice with it, and the more "accurate" the gun will be. I'd also recommend, especially since you're planning to conceal, to get a gun and holster with which you are comfortable carrying a loaded chamber. If you're comfortable with a Glock (i.e. no manual safeties, just common sense), go for that, but if you need a manual safety for the peace of mind to carry a loaded chamber, then get a gun with a manual safety. If you ever have to use the gun, it's easier to flip off a safety than to rack the slide... not as cinematically impressive, but more tactically sound.

Also, concealment is more about how you dress and how you carry your gun(s) than which gun(s) you have. Right now, I always conceal my Walther PPS either as my only gun, or as a BUG to my Glock 22, which I've had to conceal as well from time to time. At one point, I could conceal a Ruger Redhawk w/7.5" bbl... Granted, I have a bit more latitude (er, longitude?) being 6'4"/230lbs, but the point is that it's more about how you conceal than what you conceal.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by sethyboy85 View Post
    I plan next week to go and get my CC (LTCF thanks imperialism I did not realize it was technically titled this.) as well as surprise my dad with a early Christmas present for paying for his CC (I know not much but hey im laid-off)

Anything I need to know before going to my county sheriff's office? I read online a several places but it doesn't sound I "need" anything.

Also I have been looking for a gun to CC (if I ever choose to do so) I have been looking at a Kahr 9mm, stopped in cabela's today and saw a CW one it looks like something I could conceal on me (5' 7" 180lbs/athletic build)

Any recommendations?
    The title of this thread concerned me at first, but then I was glad to see you say if you ever choose to. One needs to be familiar, and comfortable with their firearm before toting it around in public. Practice practice practice. Practice not only shooting it but also wearing it. after you get a comfortable holster wear it around the house & at the range to get used to it before going out with it. You wouldn't want it going off in the club causing you to lose your $35M NFL contract! My .45 Auto poses no problem when I carry it using an inside the pants holster, but my .357 revolver is uncomfortable in anything that I've tried out so far other than my horizontal shoulder rig. They are the same barrel length but the .45 is lighter and flatter. Even the .45 still prints a little bit so I'm still shopping for something smaller for when I'm wearing the summer gear.

Many different guns to choose from don't get tunnel vision and decide too quick look at as many as you can feel them in your hand...JMO..Congrats on your LTCF..1 more thing in northampton county you need driver's license and current yr. earned income tax form for proof of resdency

(Chester County)

I carry an HK P2000 and I'm 5'10 140lbs. Its a compact and I can conceal it just fine 99% of the time.

Take a look at the Glock 19. It's small enough to be comfortably carried, but reasonably effective. I chose the 19 over the 23 because of the pronounced muzzle whip of my Glock 22. I figured that the 23 couldn't be easier to control than the 22.

There are usually good deals on used Glock 19s at places like Summit Gun Broker.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

(Berks County)

If you've never fired a handgun before, Id recommend a trip to a range that rents guns and then rent one that comes in the 3 most common carry calibers (9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP). Get the same model in all 3 so you can make an honest comparison between the felt recoil, ability to get back on target after the first shot, etc and you'll have a much easier time picking a caliber to carry. Once you have your caliber choice, rent other guns in that caliber so you can not only fondle them, but see how they feel when firing them.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjfletcher View Post
    If you've never fired a handgun before, Id recommend a trip to a range that rents guns and then rent one that comes in the 3 most common carry calibers (9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP). Get the same model in all 3 so you can make an honest comparison between the felt recoil, ability to get back on target after the first shot, etc and you'll have a much easier time picking a caliber to carry. Once you have your caliber choice, rent other guns in that caliber so you can not only fondle them, but see how they feel when firing them.
    I agree. I would also hit the shops to see what fits you hand the best.

There is also good info in these threads below.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...carry-you.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Schuylkill County)

Thank you for all the input so far!

I felt comfortable holding the Kahr and in the past I have fired other hand guns from revolvers to semi-autos. I prefer a 9mm and my hand size is comfortable on a small gun but also I have the strength to handle a larger caliber/gun too. I like to think a light compact 9mm can do just as much damage as a heavier .45 (with a better placed shot) also be comfortable to carry.

Don't worry I won't get the gun and start CC the next day, that's just absurd in my situation. It won't be till I am comfortable, shot several hundred rounds, wear it around my house for a while... then and maybe then will I choose to CC.
    I may be young but I sure ain't dumb and I have alot of learning left.

I have those two pages bookmarked norm thank you
    I am on far too many forums, varying too many subjects- this could get expensive.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sethyboy85 View Post
    Thank you for all the input so far!

I felt comfortable holding the Kahr and in the past I have fired other hand guns from revolvers to semi-autos. I prefer a 9mm and my hand size is comfortable on a small gun but also I have the strength to handle a larger caliber/gun too. I like to think a light compact 9mm can do just as much damage as a heavier .45 (with a better placed shot) also be comfortable to carry.

Don't worry I won't get the gun and start CC the next day, that's just absurd in my situation. It won't be till I am comfortable, shot several hundred rounds, wear it around my house for a while... then and maybe then will I choose to CC.
    I may be young but I sure ain't dumb and I have alot of learning left.

I have those two pages bookmarked norm thank you
    From the sound of it I wouldn't be the least bit concerned if you did buy it and CC it first day, you've obviously got a good head on your shoulders. And if you're anything like me (and probably the rest of us) you'll be racing home to clean the gun and then out to the range to put at least 100 rds through it that day.

Now for some more advice, 3"/4" barrel are generally the easiest to conceal, though how/where you carry and build affects that alot. Whatever size gun/barrel you go with, don't just race out and get a "good" holster till you know what your carry method is going to be. If anything, pick up a cheapie $20 uncle mikes sidekick for your initial around the house wear and try it out at diff spots. Practice draw from those positions, reholstering, check out how it looks in mirrors for concealability, comfort, etc and see what works best for you. Once you know how you're gonna carry it, finding a holster is alot easier because you can eliminate anything designed for any other carry position.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast