Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Texas congressman Barton to introduce bill that would force college football playoffs

WASHINGTON(AP) — Taking aim at a BCS system he said ``consistently misfires,'' a member of Congress planned to introduce legislation Wednesday that would force college football to adopt a playoff to determine the national champion.

Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, the ranking Republican on the House Energy and Commerce Committee, didn't specify what sort of playoff he wants - only that the BCS should go.

``In some years the sport's national championship winner was left unsettled, and at least one school was left out of the many millions of dollars in revenue that accompany the title,'' Barton said in a statement released ahead of the bill's introduction. ``Despite repeated efforts to improve the system, the controversy rages on.''

He said the bill - being co-sponsored by Reps. Bobby Rush, an Illinois Democrat, and Michael McCaul, a Texas Republican - ``will prohibit the marketing, promotion, and advertising of a postseason game as a 'national championship' football game, unless it is the result of a playoff system. Violations of the prohibition will be treated as violations of the Federal Trade Commission Act as an unfair or deceptive act or practice.''

The BCS was created in 1998 by the six most powerful conferences. Since then, the system has been tweaked to make it easier for teams from smaller conferences to qualify for the top games. The sites for the four BCS bowls - the Rose, Orange, Sugar and Fiesta - take turns hosting a championship game between the top two teams in the BCS standings, which are based on two human polls and six computer ratings.

This season, Florida (12-1) and Oklahoma (12-1) will meet in the BCS title game Jan. 8 in Miami.

Barton cited Southern California in 2003 and undefeated Auburn in 2004 as examples of worthy teams left out of the BCS national championship game.

``This year, we again have two teams with one loss each playing for the 'championship,' while two undefeated teams and four additional teams with only one loss will play in bowl games, but none can become 'champion,''' he said.

When an Energy and Commerce subcommittee held a hearing about the BCS in 2005, lawmakers said they weren't going to pursue legislation.

``The BCS method of determining who is No. 1 consistently misfires,'' Barton said Wednesday. ``Simply exposing the flaws and subjecting them to discussion ... hasn't led to improvement by those who run the system.''
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! " - Patrick Henry

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Texas congressman Barton to introduce bill that would force college football play

Wow, everything must be going great with the economy now since this is all they have to worry about. All 3 of the sponsors should be thrown out on their asses.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Texas congressman Barton to introduce bill that would force college football play

Ah yes... another phenomenal waste of taxpayer money. Thank you, Uncle Sam!!!
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Chester County)

The government has no place trying to regulate college football.

Yes the BCS sucks but still....
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lehigh County)

As much as I would love to see a college football playoff, this seems that it is really not an issue that the Congress should be taking up as others have said a waste of tax dollars money.

(Chester County)

What a great idea! Why have college students waste time in classes and impose ridiculous criteria, like being able to read when they graduate if they can just continue playing football through both the fall and spring semesters. For all but a small percentage, winning a championship will be nothing more than another story to tell the guys down at the docks as the NFL draft passes them by and they have no discernable skills other than lifting weights.

(Armstrong County)

And what the F**k does this have to do with the A$$h*les in DC. Don't they have enough to do but stick their F**ken noses in football.
    They all need to be Tared and Feathered and hung from the lamposts that line the streets of DC.
    Ed
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

Hang on, the proposal is just to prevent the BCS and the networks from falsely advertising their game and it's winner as "national championship." The Feds already are active in preventing false advertising, so this is a pretty good idea.

And remember, everything Congress does that it utterly pointless takes up time that would otherwise be spent on things that are destructive.

(Lancaster County)

What part of No Means No don't these people understand??!
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lackawanna County)

THANK GOD!!!! Obama will be very happy about that........and that's all that really matters, isn't it????
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast