Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Can Obama issue a national ban on concealed carry?

This question has probably been asked several times on here, but I don't get on here much so if so, please forgive me...

One of Obama's goals for gun control is a national ban on concealed carry. Even an Obama apologist website that was created to counter the NRA's accusations against him reports this to be true.

Since this is a states' rights issue, and states like PA have a constitution that allows concealed carry, would legislation aimed at usurping state constitutions have a chance at succeeding? Is this something we should be fearful of, or should this be regarded as a radical idea that will remain just that.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Can Obama issue a national ban on concealed carry?

I guess anything is possible. I don't see it happening. There would be way to much opposition. He would be putting his head in a noose if he tried it.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

That would make everyone OC !!!!!!!!

(Berks County)

There can be three ways that this federal intrusion into states rights can occur.

1. The president thru his supporters in congress can withhold federal tax dollars from the states until they strike down their concealed carry laws. This would include education, transportation, farm subsidies and law enforcement money. This would be the most effective method to use.

2. The president thru the US Attorney General and the director of the US Treasury can thru ATF take jurisdiction of the permit and the process to obtain it since it involves the interstate commerce re of firearms and make the ATF the one and only source for a person to obtain a LTCF/CCW. This would in effect stop any permits from being issued.

3. Extend the REAL ID act that currently effects drivers licenses to include individual states permit processes and make the state permit adhere to a new and tougher standard of issuance.

I'm sure Barry and his sycophants are hard at work to come up with even more devious methods than these three that came from the top of my head.
    gotta love her ;)

what about a national gun ban treaty with other countries?

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    what about a national gun ban treaty with other countries?
    Baby blue = ................

(Lackawanna County)

Can Obama do it?

Not directly.

Congress (both houses) can try, and I'm sure BO would sign...but most gun votes are political suicide.

He cannot directly have a bureaucratic agency take over licensing, especially not in face of case law from the SCOTUS.

He CAN stir up bunches of crap, ala old Bill Clinton's 'assault weapons' ban....
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Just like gold cup said, they will blackmail the shit out of the states by withholding federal monies to get them to change their laws...

(Montgomery County)

The States are over a barrel right now with the economic issues. I'd be hard pressed to see if any federal money didn't come with certain stipulations. However, the feds don't have the money to give out, so the States are left to fend for themselves on a lot of issues.

In my opinion it depends on who wants to make a power grab, and the condition of the opposition to resist it. I really see this as a chess match, and putting myself in Obamas shoes, if I had an agenda, then the States that play along will get the most payout. As we have seen in the news, thats how they do it where Obama came up.

Look to see where the funds go, and thats where the foreshadowing of policies to come will be.

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post
    There can be three ways that this federal intrusion into states rights can occur.

1. The president thru his supporters in congress can withhold federal tax dollars from the states until they strike down their concealed carry laws. This would include education, transportation, farm subsidies and law enforcement money. This would be the most effective method to use.
    I believe SCOTUS declared this unconstitutional. One of most obvious outcroppings of this is the rise in speed limits in parts of the West. States were forced via these tactics to set their highway speed limits at 55 (65?) during oil crisis of the 70's, but once SCOTUS said "I don't think so!", the states started to do their own thing.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast