Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

Quote Originally Posted by New York Hunter View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question, but here goes:

I will be staying with a friend in PA, and want to purchase my own rifles. The problem is my legal residence and drivers license are for NYC. Can I still purchase in PA for my own use? I know I can pass the instant check from previous purchases in other states.

And who are your favorite dealers in the Lancaster area?

Thanks for the advice.
    You can purchase longarms from a Pa FFL WITH CAVEATS shown below. In addition to any NYC/NYS rules that must be followed at the purchase, you also have to concern yourself with the NYC/NYS rules when you import your Pa purchases back into your 'home' locale.

18 USC 922(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver-

(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
    Your purchases must be transferred though an FFL. You cannot do a FTF private sale from/to a Pa resident.
    Last edited by tl_3237; December 30th, 2014 at 10:19 PM.
    IANAL

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Hunter View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question, but here goes:

I will be staying with a friend in PA, and want to purchase my own rifles. The problem is my legal residence and drivers license are for NYC. Can I still purchase in PA for my own use? I know I can pass the instant check from previous purchases in other states.

And who are your favorite dealers in the Lancaster area?

Thanks for the advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    You can purchase longarms from a Pa FFL WITH CAVEATS shown below. In addition to any NYC/NYS rules that must be followed at the purchase, you also have to concern yourself with the NYC/NYS rules when you import your Pa purchases back into your 'home' locale.

Your purchases must be transferred though an FFL. You cannot do a FTF private sale from/to a Pa resident.
    Expanding tl_3237's CAVEATS and advice a little further.
    If you are not taking the rifle back to a NYC address, and, can demonstrate to the dealer that is the case, or, you have a NYPD rifle/shotgun permit, you are good for the purchase.
    You will need a NYPD rifle/shotgun permit before you attempt to return to a NYC address with it.
    Application - NYPD Rifle/ Shotgun Permit

With the NYPD rifle/shotgun permit, the next potential roadblock, to a PA long gun purchase specific to your NYC address, is the NYC police department long gun registration. (green registration form) The NYPD requires the dealer to fill out along with yourself.

See the instruction on page 4 of the Instruction section at the above link.

Advice found on NY Firearms forum:
    Pick up one or more of the green registration forms from the NYPD.
    Have the transferring dealer fill out the dealer section on the form. Once you've filled out your part, mail it to the Rifle/Shotgun Section with a copy of the bill of sale, a copy of your permit, and a SASE. The NYPD will eventually send the green form back to you with a seal of approval.
    Last edited by Klyde; December 31st, 2014 at 12:49 PM.

I sent back a revolver to Taurus for repair. The were not able to fix it but sent me a replacement gun to my residence in PA. with a new serial number.The gun is the same make and model. Do I have to register it even though I wen through the original insta check process. I was told no so long as I have the paperwork from Taurus. Any advice is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by sheriffandy1000 View Post
    I sent back a revolver to Taurus for repair. The were not able to fix it but sent me a replacement gun to my residence in PA. with a new serial number.The gun is the same make and model. Do I have to register it even though I wen through the original insta check process. I was told no so long as I have the paperwork from Taurus. Any advice is appreciated
    You are legally obliged to do nothing at all in this situation.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Warren County)

Originally Posted by sheriffandy1000 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    You are legally obliged to do nothing at all in this situation.
    GL is right, BUT....

If you plan to carry that piece, please prepare yourself for the kinds of headaches listed in the previous couple of pages.

If you want to sue John Law to get your gun back in the event of Bad Things Happening, that's an option.

If you want to get that piece into the PSP sales database as yours, you can choose to do that.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Philadelphia County)

Since there is no registration in Pennsylvania I see no reason to put it into the sales database. It's not required. The police damned well better know the law. And yes I would sue, also press charges for thief and official oppression.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

I have a question for the knowledgable. I am applying for my 03 c&r this week. How are c&r pistols handled in pa? I know they go through the state police paperwork when you buy from a dealer but what about when its transferred to your c&r?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by neinLG View Post
    I have a question for the knowledgable. I am applying for my 03 c&r this week. How are c&r pistols handled in pa? I know they go through the state police paperwork when you buy from a dealer but what about when its transferred to your c&r?

It gets entered into your bound book.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

So there is no paperwork for the state police?

(Bucks County)

Attorney Prince has recently published a list of five gun myths, one of which is- Pennsylvania has a registry of firearms:

(Emphasis mine)

The law actually provides that it is illegal for
    the Commonwealth or any agency thereof to “create, maintain or operate any registry of firearm
    ownership.” Unfortunately, law enforcement is generally unaware of this and frequently relies
    on a database of handgun sales, which the Pennsylvania Supreme Court has held cannot be
    utilized to determine the ownership of any firearm.
    Federal contains a similar provision generally
    precluding a creation and maintenance of a registry of firearms. (End quote)

It is that clearly stated? Yet police continue to do it? Is this because there is no provision for punishment as would be found in a statute? Perhaps legislation providing for penalty for violating is needed.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast