Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Chester County)

Default Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

Quote Originally Posted by New York Hunter View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question, but here goes:

I will be staying with a friend in PA, and want to purchase my own rifles. The problem is my legal residence and drivers license are for NYC. Can I still purchase in PA for my own use? I know I can pass the instant check from previous purchases in other states.

And who are your favorite dealers in the Lancaster area?

Thanks for the advice.
    You can purchase longarms from a Pa FFL WITH CAVEATS shown below. In addition to any NYC/NYS rules that must be followed at the purchase, you also have to concern yourself with the NYC/NYS rules when you import your Pa purchases back into your 'home' locale.

18 USC 922(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver-

(3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
    Your purchases must be transferred though an FFL. You cannot do a FTF private sale from/to a Pa resident.
    Last edited by tl_3237; December 30th, 2014 at 10:19 PM.
    IANAL