Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

Quote Originally Posted by Digenes View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but am a new member here and tried looking it up.
    From the best I can tell, my dad gave me his 50cal black powder long rifle to use during hunting season. No he is not from PA and brought the gun to me from MA. I have my LTCF. Being as the is no "Registration" of firearms in PA, I gather that I don't have to do any transfer paperwork at all for this rifle, or is is different because it came from another state? Would just a letter from him stating he gave me this weapon cover me?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
    No receipt, paperwork, or anything is needed for muzzleloaders and "antique guns/firearms". ...so, just accept the smokepole from your dad and thank him.

A LTCF has no bearing on transfers.

A "black powder" muzzleloader requires no sort of paperwork in PA even for interstate transfers. It is not a "firearm"(handgun, SBS, SBR), or even a gun(except for those who are prohibited) - it is an "antique gun" even if it was made today due to it's design. Under federal law it isn't even a firearm. Muzzleloaders can be mail, email, phone ordered and shipped even across state lines directly to your doorstep. Only a couple states are restrictive towards "antique guns", which PA isn't one of them.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Butler County)

Question Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

let me see if i have digested the last 9 pages of posts correctly... if i have a ltcf (i don't yet but intend on getting one soon) my brother, who lives and has a ltcf in Texas, could theoretically long term 'loan' me a gun that he purchased (9mm handgun) in texas without the need for me to do any paperwork. then at some time in the future when we are both in pa we could do an official transfer at a ffl. should i have any concern if i get my ltcf and carry a loaned gun regularly?
    love the site, thanks to everyone who helps out the newbies here!

Quote Originally Posted by taurus9slim View Post
    let me see if i have digested the last 9 pages of posts correctly... if i have a ltcf (i don't yet but intend on getting one soon) my brother, who lives and has a ltcf in Texas, could theoretically long term 'loan' me a gun that he purchased (9mm handgun) in texas without the need for me to do any paperwork. . . .
    No. Federal law.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Crawford County)

Smile Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

Sorry guys but I do have a legit question. I am currently entering a divorce. I fall under the spouse/spouse transfer of a handgun. I'm assuming we still have to go to a dealer and do all the paperwork. Is that correct? I am also wondering about how much it will cost me. I thank you for any responses. I promise I won't beat a dead horse.......

(Delaware County)

If the divorce isn't finalized, you're still married so you can each give each other a firearm. No paperwork or transfer needed by law.

Now.................

If I was going through a divorce, the last thing I would do is give my wife a gun. Lol

If she gives you one, I'd do a transfer or at least write a receipt in case there is a dispute later
    Last edited by BimmerJon; May 23rd, 2011 at 12:31 AM.

(Crawford County)

Thanks Bimmer... That does make sense.... Well truthfully... he has rifles and a 45... All I want is my 40cal millennium.... lol At least I can try to even the odds a little.... lol Thanks again

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by armedwomen82 View Post
    Thanks Bimmer... That does make sense.... Well truthfully... he has rifles and a 45... All I want is my 40cal millennium.... lol At least I can try to even the odds a little.... lol Thanks again
    He?

Youre the wife? . Duh, just read your screenname ha

I was just joking earlier!!!! Lol

(Crawford County)

Smile Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

I know you were Bimmer. I would never hurt him or anyone unless my babies were in danger. I grew up around guns and have the highest respect for them but I also view them as a tool. It's all good.....

I have a quick question. Let's say that you go to an FFL to transfer a pistol from another member of this site into your name. You fill out the paperwork, pay the fees, and are told that you are good to go. Then the next day you recieve several calls from the FFL stating that you need to come back because they forgot to have you sign the bottom of the State Police form, and your "handgun is not legal until you do so".

Are they correct in saying that your handgun is not legal since THEY forgot to have you sign the bottom of the form, and would you need to go back and sign?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VeritasAequitas View Post
    I have a quick question. Let's say that you go to an FFL to transfer a pistol from another member of this site into your name. You fill out the paperwork, pay the fees, and are told that you are good to go. Then the next day you recieve several calls from the FFL stating that you need to come back because they forgot to have you sign the bottom of the State Police form, and your "handgun is not legal until you do so".

Are they correct in saying that your handgun is not legal since THEY forgot to have you sign the bottom of the form, and would you need to go back and sign?

Thanks
    There's no reason to burn an FFL that did a transfer for you, by not helping them to fix paperwork errors of the sort that get FFL's in trouble.

There's no downside to getting your name associated with that gun in the Record of Sale Database (unless PA goes to full gun confiscation, which is unlikely), and there are some excellent reasons for getting it in there.

As to whether the gun is "legal", it's only contraband if you committed a crime, it's stolen, or the transfer itself was unlawful. But plenty of cops think that any blip in what they expect is grounds for seizure, so avoiding that hassle has value.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast