Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

I have read through 5 pages of this tread & didn't see anything like this. I hope I am not repeating something that has been asked already.
    My son in law gave his registered pistol to his wife (my daughter) who now wants to give it to me for a birthday present. I have a LTCF. I am aware that transfers between married couples & parents to children do not require paperwork by an FFL dealer. My question is what type of paperwork, if any, is needed to show the transfers I outlined above?
    OUR HOUSE IS PROTECTED BY THE GOOD LORD AND A GUN

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by flipper View Post
    I have read through 5 pages of this tread & didn't see anything like this. I hope I am not repeating something that has been asked already.
    My son in law gave his registered pistol to his wife (my daughter) who now wants to give it to me for a birthday present. I have a LTCF. I am aware that transfers between married couples & parents to children do not require paperwork by an FFL dealer. My question is what type of paperwork, if any, is needed to show the transfers I outlined above?
    No paperwork needed. Your SIL gives his wife(your daughter) the pistol, then your daughter gives it to you. Completely legal, no paperwork required. Just make sure physical possession by your daughter is made, and that she actually gives it to you. Receipts between the SIL and your daughter, then between your daughter and yourself may help if questioned.

You can also do the formal transfer at a FFL which will remove any doubt.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Luzerne County)

Talking Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

Thanks for the info Robert. The formal FFL transfer just irks me to be paying for something that is not necessary, or maybe I am just cheap!
    OUR HOUSE IS PROTECTED BY THE GOOD LORD AND A GUN

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by flipper View Post
    Thanks for the info Robert. The formal FFL transfer just irks me to be paying for something that is not necessary, or maybe I am just cheap!
    Consider it a $20 life long insurance policy of this coming and biting you in the ass in the future.

(Philadelphia County)

I just wanted to say "hi" (new member and first post) and thank all those who posted in this thread.

I will be picking up my LTCF for Philadelphia this week. I'll be carrying a .38 Smith & Wesson that was handed down to me from my father.

When I originally got the weapon a few years ago, I went to the sheriff's office to see if I needed to "register" my handgun, and was told that yes, I did, but since my father gave it to me, he would need to come in and fill out the paperwork.

I explained that my father had recently retired and had moved to South Carolina. The officer told me that it didn't matter, and he would just need to come up anyway. Needless to say, I never flew him up.

Lately, I have been anxious about carrying an "unregistered" pistol. Thanks to the info on this page, I now know the law, and my rights.

So thanks again for the info.

Default Re: in-state transfer of handgun between 2 CCL holders

Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post
    A handgun is not registered to the owner. The PSP does keep a sales database of handguns purchased/transferred through an FFL. This database would obviously not contain any records on transfers that are exempt from the law requiring transfer through an FFL. For example a grandfather who gives a revolver to his grandson, or a husband who gives a pistol to his wife.

Selling a handgun to a friend... definitely go through an FFL.
    Hence my "registered"

I guess I should have said that a run on the serial number thru the "sales database" would show the handgun was "sold" to the last person that "purchased" or "transfered" it thru an FFL.

But wait a minute? If it isnt a registration database then why does ownership need to be "transfered"

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by MaDuece View Post
    Hence my "registered"

I guess I should have said that a run on the serial number thru the "sales database" would show the handgun was "sold" to the last person that "purchased" or "transfered" it thru an FFL.

But wait a minute? If it isnt a registration database then why does ownership need to be "transfered"

The FFL will call in a PICS check to insure that the new owner (transferee) is not a prohibited person.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    The FFL will call in a PICS check to insure that the new owner (transferee) is not a prohibited person.
    I agree and fully understand that part. But why then does the seller also need to fill out part of the form? Again that makes it appear as an "ownership transfer"

And why just handguns? why not all guns if the reason is just to make sure the buyer is not a prohibited person?

Quote Originally Posted by MaDuece View Post
    I agree and fully understand that part. But why then does the seller also need to fill out part of the form? Again that makes it appear as an "ownership transfer"

And why just handguns? why not all guns if the reason is just to make sure the buyer is not a prohibited person?
    you are attempting to apply logic to a situation where none was used to create the rules we are operating under

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by cigarmanpa View Post
    you are attempting to apply logic to a situation where none was used to create the rules we are operating under
    ^Truth.

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast