Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Default Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

Quote Originally Posted by PAGrunt View Post
    This seems like a good spot to post my question:

Well, my grandpa recently passed away and his gun collection then became the property of my grandma. She then gave all the guns to mom, who let me and my and dad have any of the guns we wanted or were thought keeping. One of the guns I ended up with was his police issue revovler. I've searched around the internet and my understanding is that immediate family transfers do not have to be put in the "database". Is this correct? Also, if I don't transfer it will I get hasseled or anything by the police?
    Gun transfers between grandparents & grandchildren, parents & children and between spouses do not require a transfer at a gun dealer, provided the giver and the receiver of the gun(s) are both PA residents.

If one of the above named persons is not a PA resident, then the gun must be transferred at a gun dealer (FFL - Federal Firearms Licensee).
    Last edited by HiredGoon; April 19th, 2010 at 08:08 PM.

(Cambria County)

Thanks for the reply. I never owned a pistol before so I'm trying to make sure I do everything right! haha

(Lycoming County)

I just purchased an old (probably 100 years old) pocket pistol revolver. The ffl told me that it is so old that there is no way he can register it. It has no serial number and really no identifying markings. My concern is that if I am found to have it in my posession, will I be hassled by the tyrants? It was bought at an auction and I had to go to the ffl to pick it up. Since it couldn't be registered he just handed it over to me without any background check or transfer of ownership. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
    I just purchased an old (probably 100 years old) pocket pistol revolver. The ffl told me that it is so old that there is no way he can register it. It has no serial number and really no identifying markings.
    He can't "register" it no matter how old or how many markings exist/do not exist, since there is no "registration" in Pa. (See OP).

The FFL must execute the form SP4-113 on all "firearms" (6102 definition, IE: handguns) regardless of what markings exist. Lack of markings does NOT recuse the seller/FFL of this requirement. The FFL would simply write "none visible" in the applicable boxes.

The only way the handgun is not required to be transferred (in your particular case. IE: non family, non licensee, etc) is if it was made prior to 1898.

... My concern is that if I am found to have it in my posession, will I be hassled by the tyrants?
    Always a possibility. Whether you aquired it through FFL transfer or not...

It was bought at an auction and I had to go to the ffl to pick it up. Since it couldn't be registered he just handed it over to me without any background check or transfer of ownership. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    If the FFL did not verify the guns age, or know from experience that it was not pre-1898, he is an idiot. And possibly just violated the law.

My advice is to find a more knowledgeable dealer.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lycoming County)

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing. I do know of a more knowledgeable ffl and I will consult him and see if I can get the correct paperwork taken care of. In the meantime I'll keep it stashed in my home. I knew that I'd get a good answer on here. This site is a really great source of info. Thanks again for the quick reply. Peace and Liberty.

(Jefferson County)

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing. I do know of a more knowledgeable ffl and I will consult him and see if I can get the correct paperwork taken care of. In the meantime I'll keep it stashed in my home. I knew that I'd get a good answer on here. This site is a really great source of info. Thanks again for the quick reply. Peace and Liberty.
    Post pictures in another thread for us. If we can identify it as being a pre-1898 handgun we may save you a trip to the FFL and transfer fees.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lycoming County)

I was thinking about doing that. It looks like an Arminius german velodog style revolver, but doesn't say Arminius anywhere on it. It has the crown N proof mark. It has a folding trigger and encased hammer. On the strap it says cal. 6.35 and hammerless. There is a 50 on it, but those are the only marks that I can find. I have been searching the net for the last two days and haven't found one that is exactly the same. The Arminius models have Arminius' head on the grip, but this just has a fancy GK on the grip. Of course, the grip might not be original. I don't think it is pre 1898, but I guess it is possible. I will take some pictures tonight and get them up here in another thread.

(Schuylkill County)

I've read in this thread,

Gun transfers between grandparents & grandchildren, parents & children and between spouses do not require a transfer at a gun dealer, provided the giver and the receiver of the gun(s) are both PA residents.

If one of the above named persons is not a PA resident, then the gun must be transferred at a gun dealer (FFL - Federal Firearms Licensee).
    The Law reads -"parent/child"- is this also child to parent?

Example being: Kid age 21 member of armed forces buys himself a Pistol (glock 22) while on leave and returns to iraq. Kid leaves gun in dads house, no problem so far.

Can dad - who is in posession of a valid LTC, carry the Pistol for protection?

Bob

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by deladios View Post
    I've read in this thread,

The Law reads -"parent/child"- is this also child to parent?
    Yes, it's bi-directional.

Example being: Kid age 21 member of armed forces buys himself a Pistol (glock 22) while on leave and returns to iraq. Kid leaves gun in dads house, no problem so far.

Can dad - who is in posession of a valid LTC, carry the Pistol for protection?
    This would be more a loan than a transfer. A transfer is permanently changing ownership. A loan is temporary.

The son could technically transfer it to dad. Then at a later date, dad can transfer it to son.

But since dad has a LTCF, the pistol can be loaned to him.
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6115: Loans on, or lending or giving firearms prohibited

You could do it either way. In reality it doesn't really matter since either way, there's no paper work involved. But technically what you're doing is a loan.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Schuylkill County)

Thanx for the quick response. Your right, its a loan. The young soldier wants to maintain his ownership for sure, however won't be back till October. My backpacken gun is in the shop for some custom work, and fer walken out in the boonies a glock 22 is far better than a sub compact 9. I just don't want to trouble with the law

Bob

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast