Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 186
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Brookville, Pennsylvania
    (Jefferson County)
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,482
    Rep Power
    21474866

    Default Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    Ok cool..wasn't sure since I knew a stripper lower has to be sent to an FFL.
    Only if private to private interstate transfers. The only part of a gun that is the "firearm" is the receiver whether it is assembled as a gun or not. Intrastate transfers of long guns(long gun receivers) can be shipped via common carrier to the doorstep of a fellow state resident.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    157

    Default Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

    So that I am completely clear, if I call a dealer on the other side of the state and order two stripped lowers for AR-15s, can he send them to me instead of sending them to an FFL-01 and doing the formal transfer?? (Assuming I can convince the dealer that I am qualified to own a firearm).

    Or said a different way, can a phone call and exchange of driver's license or FFL-02 via FAX or email satisfy the requirements for a face-to-face exchange of a long gun?

    Thanks for the additional assistance.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Brookville, Pennsylvania
    (Jefferson County)
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,482
    Rep Power
    21474866

    Default Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawki72 View Post
    So that I am completely clear, if I call a dealer on the other side of the state and order two stripped lowers for AR-15s, can he send them to me instead of sending them to an FFL-01 and doing the formal transfer?? (Assuming I can convince the dealer that I am qualified to own a firearm).

    Or said a different way, can a phone call and exchange of driver's license or FFL-02 via FAX or email satisfy the requirements for a face-to-face exchange of a long gun?

    Thanks for the additional assistance.
    No, that is a commercial transfer and you must do that in person.

    Private transfers of long guns can be shipped to private doorsteps within the same state so long as there are no state laws that prohibit it, which in PA there are none.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    bangor
    (Northampton County)
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

    Thank you everyone for your kind words and the good info...sunsponge

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    easton, Pennsylvania
    (Northampton County)
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

    Sorry new to owning a firearm other than my shotgun .I have been given a few psitols and a rifle from my deceased step father .Do I have to register them? I would feel better if I did ,but i can't find anything on the subject (where to go ).I live in northampton county pa.I can't find anything on it and since he has passed I want to be able to prove they are mine .Please help you never know what can happen somebody could steal them or something .

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Brookville, Pennsylvania
    (Jefferson County)
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,482
    Rep Power
    21474866

    Default Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

    Quote Originally Posted by 1brain1 View Post
    Sorry new to owning a firearm other than my shotgun .I have been given a few psitols and a rifle from my deceased step father .Do I have to register them? I would feel better if I did ,but i can't find anything on the subject (where to go ).I live in northampton county pa.I can't find anything on it and since he has passed I want to be able to prove they are mine .Please help you never know what can happen somebody could steal them or something .
    There is no registration of guns in PA. Please, stop using the word "registration" unless you are talking about sawed off shotguns/rifles, machine guns, suppressors, grenades, or any other NFA device.


    Longguns like rifles and shotguns are treated like used furniture when it comes to private sales, trades, gifts, etc. ...no "transfer" paperwork necessary and can be passed around like a cheap hooker or a joint.


    Your pistols that you inherited.. Were they given directly to you via a will or through the executor of estate? If they came straight from the will or via the executor, it should have been transferred through a FFL or the Sheriff since your step-dad isn't one of the named exempted transfers.

    If that gun was inherited by your wife from her dad, then she gave it to you - then NO transfer paperwork is necessary.

    You're not committing any crime by not having that handgun in your name.. worst case is that if stopped, the police will try to give it back to the last owner on record - which will be a dead man. ...Since he is dead, the spouse/heir will get it - which in turn will end up back in your hands.

    If it really bugs you, just hand it to your wife, go to a dealer, then have her transfer it into your name. It'll cost $15-$50 and 15minutes of your time.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    next to my neighbor, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,026
    Rep Power
    21474857

    Default Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

    if there is no registration in pa, why do the state police have information on the transfer? im trying to clear something up with a friend, i told him there is no legal registration in pa but he disagrees. i know this subject has been beaten to death but if someone could direct me to a post about it i would be grateful. bogey

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,946
    Rep Power
    238261

    Default Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

    Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    if there is no registration in pa, why do the state police have information on the transfer? im trying to clear something up with a friend, i told him there is no legal registration in pa but he disagrees. i know this subject has been beaten to death but if someone could direct me to a post about it i would be grateful. bogey
    The PSP maintains a database of PSP form SP4-113 transactions.

    This database is allegedly used to *assist* in gun traces persuant to criminal investigations.

    AGSL sued the PSP over the "database" and the SCOPA determined that the database was not a registry (which is prohibited under 18Pa.C.S.6111.4) because it did not contain a list of all handguns owned in Pa.

    Short of it is that a registry is prohibited by law and your buddy is wrong


    Links as requested that goes into more detail:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...tml#post509716
    Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    We feel it is. However, when ACSL sued Ridge and the PSP over this the court decided that since the database was only certain type of sales/transfers, that it was not a "registry". IOW, since it is not complete it is not an "ownership registry".

    This is ridiculous and flies in the face of what 18Pa.C.S.6111.4 intends, but it is the supreme courts ruling.

    Luckily, this clarification still benefits us in that LEO agencies can NOT now claim that the database means something in regards to ownership.
    Since not all handgun transfers are in it it is meaningless as a check of ownership.

    Read all about the lawsuit, and the road to the supreme court, here:
    http://www.acslpa.org/n-register/n-registration.html

    http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...tml#post509797
    Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    1) Pursuant to 18Pa.C.S.6111, generally, all sales from an FFL as well as transfers of ownership of other persons (sales/gifts/trades/etc) of firearms (as defined in 6102) must be done by an FFL or Sheriff and a form SP4-113 executed.
    The county sheriff gets a copy of the SP4-113 and they send the info periodically to the PSP for their "database".

    2) There ARE exceptions to #1 above. spouse to spouse, child-parent-grandparent as well as FFL's are exempt from the requirement to execute a SP4-113 or have the transfer conducted at an FFL/Sheriff.
    Additionally, you can bring handguns from out of state when you move to Pa. You could also have handguns that were yours BEFORE 6111 took effect... among other reasons our handgun would not show up on the database.

    3) Rifles are not subject to the provisions of 6111 and are not put on the Pa. form SP4-113 (Application/Record of Sale) Only firearms defined in 18Pa.C.S.6102, which is handguns, SBS ad SBRs.

    4) A true "registry" is prohibited by 18Pa.C.S.6111.4.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; January 30th, 2009 at 11:11 AM.
    _________________________________________

    danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Coraopolis, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Default legal acquisition?

    I acquired a S&W Model 19 .357 revolver from a friend of mine about a year ago. We didn't do any transfer or go anywhere for documentation of the transactions. I'm am not even sure if he purchased the revolver or how he came to posses it.

    I dont really have any concerns about possessing the firearm for target shooting, etc but if it ever comes to defending myself with it (home invasion, etc) I don't want to get brought up on some gun charge.

    Does this acquisition sound legal?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,946
    Rep Power
    238261

    Default Re: legal acquisition?

    Quote Originally Posted by guerrillataktix View Post
    I acquired a S&W Model 19 .357 revolver from a friend of mine about a year ago. We didn't do any transfer or go anywhere for documentation of the transactions. I'm am not even sure if he purchased the revolver or how he came to posses it.

    I dont really have any concerns about possessing the firearm for target shooting, etc but if it ever comes to defending myself with it (home invasion, etc) I don't want to get brought up on some gun charge.

    Does this acquisition sound legal?
    Between Pa. residents, Pa law (18Pa.C.S.6111) generally requires the seller to transfer the handgun to the buyer through a FFL where a Fed Form 4473 and Pa. PSP form SP4-113 is completed. There are exceptions for certain family members and other licensees, etc.

    In my understanding, your friend violated 6111(c). I see no law you are in violation of for the possession. But IANAL.
    You could always have it transferred now or ask an attorney for their opinion.
    _________________________________________

    danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 27th, 2008, 09:36 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 20th, 2008, 11:44 AM
  3. Registration of "inherited" pistols
    By gandy7679 in forum General
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: June 4th, 2007, 10:27 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 29th, 2007, 12:35 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops