Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Default Re: About Gun "Registration" or Transfers in PA

Thanks, I was iffy on the Pistol grip, since I bought it that way with no full stock.

(Armstrong County)

New to this forum! My father-in-law recently passed away. He was a licensed gun owner who also owned a private security business. His wife wants to gift several hand guns to family members. Is there a need to have gun ownership transferred?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by weckgal05 View Post
    New to this forum! My father-in-law recently passed away. He was a licensed gun owner who also owned a private security business. His wife wants to gift several hand guns to family members. Is there a need to have gun ownership transferred?
    She can give handguns to her spouse(dead in this situation), parents, grandparents, children, and grandchildren without any paperwork so long as they live in PA. If they live outside of PA, then they need to go through a FFL in the state that they reside in.

For all other relationships the handguns must go through a FFL.

For long guns - no paperwork is needed for anyone so long as they live within PA. If they live outside of PA a long gun must go through a FFL in any state.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    She can give handguns to her spouse(dead in this situation), parents, grandparents, children, and grandchildren without any paperwork so long as they live in PA. If they live outside of PA, then they need to go through a FFL in the state that they reside in.

For all other relationships the handguns must go through a FFL.

For long guns - no paperwork is needed for anyone so long as they live within PA. If they live outside of PA a long gun must go through a FFL in any state.
    That's correct, if she inherited them and she wants to gift them.

If his estate currently has them and the guns are part of bequests from the estate to heirs, then the estate has some additional options on direct transfers. But it's safest for her to use FFL's.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Dauphin County)

There is a lot of great information in here. Thanks for posting.

(Philadelphia County)

Post Is there a way to look up someones name to find out which guns are owned

My father loved collecting guns and had a very large collection. He passed away in 2005. His girlfriend was mad that my father did not mention her in his will, and because he left everything to me. I was only 23 at the time, and devastated that he was gone. Long story short, she took whatever she wanted, and gave all his guns to his best friend. He offered to buy them from me, but I told him I wasn't ready to do anything with them yet. He insisted on holding them for me, because my boyfriend has a criminal record. Somehow some of my dads guns were split between his 2 best friends. I asked them both if they could at least tell me what my dad had and how many there were. I still don't know. A few months ago, I asked his friend again for a list. I really needed the money, and wanted to sell a few. He blew me off saying he had to talk to his other friend and compile a list. He never got back to me, and sadly he past away a few days ago. I'm worried that his family will sell my dads guns. These are people I grew up with, and were more like family to me. I don't know what I should or can do at this point. Also, its honestly close to 15-20 different guns/riffles. I'm also worried they may fall into the wrong hands. Besides wanting to sell a few, I also wanted to keep some to pass down to my children when they are older and of age. They never met their grandfather, and it would be nice to be able to have something of his. Also, I remember there was a issue with either my father or his friend being able to buy a gun. They always had to go together, and I believe they only bought from gun shows. My dad did not have a criminal background, and I believe he had a carry permit. Any advice? I thought if I could search his name, then maybe I could at least have a idea of what was his. I'm worried that I will never get any of my dads guns back.

(Lehigh County)

Have you talked to the people who possess the guns?

(Philadelphia County)

I don't wanna look like a jerk by asking his wife now, since he passed away a few days ago. I was over their house for a few hours yesturday, and she briefy mentioned that his other friend will be down for the funeral and he "wants" 3 of my dads guns

(Philadelphia County)

I really feel like they are being shady, and probably never had any intentions on giving them back. I believed them at the time bc he was like a 2nd dad to me. I should've pursued this sooner, especially when he couldn't give me a list months ago. He had said he had them mixed in with his collection. And the other friend who has a few of them, lives in Florida during the winter and in Bloomsburg, Pa during the summer. So he's not only far away, but not sure where he keeps them.

The State Police maintain an often-misused Record of Sale Database, which collects and updates records of purchases and transfers of HANDGUNS through any PA FFL. It doesn't cover rifles.

You might be able to get a printout of whatever handguns your dad purchased from a dealer. Since they don't appear to have been transferred from his estate legally, there's an argument that a crime was committed, and the police might want to recover the guns stolen from the estate (if they rightfully should have gone to you).

Showing up at the friend's widow's house with a list of your dad's guns might ease some of the reluctance.

The long guns, I don't know. I think you trusted the wrong people and they burned you. Maybe they didn't like your boyfriend. If you don't have receipts or the boxes or anything, you've got no proof that they were your dad's.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast