Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default First 100% Open Carry

So I have two holsters so far - one OWB and one IWB. The IWB one is obviously for 100% concealed carry. Up until now, I have used the OWB holster solely under my jacket, where it was semi-visible. Today, in a quick 1 1/2 minute visit to Sheetz, I went out Open Carrying.

Stupidly, I didn't have any flyers, but my first inclination when heading out isn't to grab information about things I am doing legally. It was an overwhelmingly good experience, barring a few very small hiccups. I knew the cahsier and a few people in the store, and they all commented with smiling faces saying things like "nice gun," "oh I didn't know you had a gun," and "whoaa don't shoot! (jokingly)" My friend the cashier jokingly held her hands up - which scared the living daylights out of me God forbid a LEO was outside and got the wrong idea. I quickly told her that it wasn't appropriate and I really wasn't in the mood to get shot by a cop tonight. She was smiling and laughing while doing so, but still. Worried me.

I had some starers, I just smiled, gave a little half-wave, and walked on by. A man standing right next to the line gave me a stare at my hip, then a sneer at my face. I politely asked if he was in line, to which he replied curtly, "no, that's why I'm standing next to the line." I shrugged and moved forward. I figure there's a 50/50 chance he was either concerned about the firearm or he was just a jerk in general. All in all, I had a blast, and will be open carrying more often (carrying those handy fllyers in case I get any questions)! Thanks for the education all, it is probably the reason I wasn't concerned heading out in the first place!
    "Twice today have I been told that my outfit does not match my gun..."

Default Re: First 100% Open Carry

Glad it went well! I'm surprised so many people made mention of it. I suppose because you knew most of them

I've only ever had one comment, and that was the only time I caught someone looking. Just asked if I was returning from target shooting.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

(Dauphin County)

good for you , dont worry about those people that sneer at ya i like the saying kill them with kindness, it works to a point after that i try to just ignore them or i sneer back lol
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4XLT View Post
    good for you , dont worry about those people that sneer at ya i like the saying kill them with kindness, it works to a point after that i try to just ignore them or i sneer back lol
    Haha, honestly, I'm too afraid to sneer back - if someone like PaPatriot can be arrested for peaceably eating dinner with an openly carried weapon, who knows what could happen to me while sneering at someone openly carrying (I freeze in cop situations - regardless of the legality of my actions I am deathly afraid of being arrested). That's one of the many reasons I almost wet my pants when my friend the cashier jokingly threw her hands up in the air. Ever have a very bad scenario run through your head in a snap second? I saw the rest of my night spent with some very uncomfortable metal around my wrists in the back seat of a Crown Vic with too little legroom because of my stupid friend.

What amazed me the most, being from Jersey and all, is the vast difference in opinion towards firearms in general. Sure you have those that disapprove, but as a comparison, if you have a gun on your hip in PA, you might spark a conversation. If the same innocuous situation were to happen in NJ (assuming open carry was legal in NJ), someone would shout "GUN!" and a tactical response team would be surrounding you ready to give you a couple of new unwelcome breathing holes.

(Luzerne County)

Glad it went well.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Indiana County)

Welcome to the brotherhood (or sisterhood, as applicable).

Carrying open carry fliers as an educational aide to others is good. I carry two or three in my wallet at all times (any more and the wallet gets a little too bulky).

In addition to going out physically armed, remember to be mentally armed. Work out in your head how to react to a confused cop, a bed-wetting anti, or a curious citizen. The mental "arming" reinforces your new-found sense of self-confidence, and may help reduce the amount of your "freezing in cop situations."

Not unlike riding a bicycle, the more you open carry the more confident you become.

(Lackawanna County)

I was on alert status 10 concerning people grabbing my gun - that was my biggest fear. Fortunately, no one had to take an elbow to the face 'cause they got too grabby.

Good deal, glad it went well for you
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Lackawanna County)

If her throwing her hands up made you nervous, might I suggest if you carry flyers, keep them in a far pocket from the gun? Just in case someone thinks you're moving to quick to the gun. I also usually keep backups in my truck in case I run out. It's not a bad idea for keeping some near you though. Not as convenient, but you won't forget them.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by msquaredserver View Post
    I was on alert status 10 concerning people grabbing my gun - that was my biggest fear. Fortunately, no one had to take an elbow to the face 'cause they got too grabby.
    Good Job msquaredsever... see you up the rifle range

WBK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast