Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: First 100% Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by nepawolf View Post
    If her throwing her hands up made you nervous, might I suggest if you carry flyers, keep them in a far pocket from the gun? Just in case someone thinks you're moving to quick to the gun. I also usually keep backups in my truck in case I run out. It's not a bad idea for keeping some near you though. Not as convenient, but you won't forget them.
    I will definitely be carrying flyers. I wasn't reaching for my gun or anything she was just messing with me because she saw it. I already printed out 50 of PaPats handy flyers. Truthfully in these days its hard to open carry completely because it's never warm enough to warrant going out without a jacket.
    "Twice today have I been told that my outfit does not match my gun..."

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by msquaredserver View Post
    I will definitely be carrying flyers. I wasn't reaching for my gun or anything she was just messing with me because she saw it. I already printed out 50 of PaPats handy flyers. Truthfully in these days its hard to open carry completely because it's never warm enough to warrant going out without a jacket.
    I find if I wear a hoodie, it's short enough it doesn't hinder OC. However if I'm forced to CC it doesn't work. There's not alot of hip holster OC options in the winter, though. Blackhawk does make a serpa drop leg platform that I'm thinking of getting. Makes alot more options available. If you're thinking of OCing on a regular basis you might want to consider a duty belt (I wear a DeSantis nylon one, real heafty and real comfortable). If your gunshop doesn't sell them, look at a police supply shop. In downtown Scranton I found Starr Uniform to be very friendly even after I said I was just a regular civvie. Don't cheap out on a pistol belt though. I did before and it was a waste of money.

As to the flyers, when you have them on you, you'll find that all of the sudden there's more people asking about and more reasons to pass them out. They're very handy and I know I'm not the only one who is grateful that someone actually spent that much time to do a nice professional job on them.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by nepawolf View Post
    I find if I wear a hoodie, it's short enough it doesn't hinder OC. However if I'm forced to CC it doesn't work. There's not alot of hip holster OC options in the winter, though. Blackhawk does make a serpa drop leg platform that I'm thinking of getting. Makes alot more options available. If you're thinking of OCing on a regular basis you might want to consider a duty belt (I wear a DeSantis nylon one, real heafty and real comfortable). If your gunshop doesn't sell them, look at a police supply shop. In downtown Scranton I found Starr Uniform to be very friendly even after I said I was just a regular civvie. Don't cheap out on a pistol belt though. I did before and it was a waste of money.

As to the flyers, when you have them on you, you'll find that all of the sudden there's more people asking about and more reasons to pass them out. They're very handy and I know I'm not the only one who is grateful that someone actually spent that much time to do a nice professional job on them.
    I was wearing a hoodie when I OC'd, but it kinda hung over my gun making it really just for looks, eliminating a truly quick unholster. All my hoody sweatshirts are too big or too small.. I should look into getting one that fits

(Lackawanna County)

Try tucking the hoodie behind your sidearm.

(Lackawanna County)

just found a nice sweater in my closet - works so perfectly. i really liked the sweater too. open carry ftw all the time once i get that fobus paddle holster.

(Erie County)

Funny, I never elicit any real reactions to my open carried firearm. Maybe it is my demeanor, or the way I "carry myself", but my firearm goes unnoticed in my day-to-day encounters.

I think it is odd that the first time people carry openly, they feel the world is watching as closely as possible. I find that the majority of people figure that a person with a gun has "purpose"; either they are law enforcement officers, or have some sort of "reason" to be carrying a firearm.

I utilize this ridiculous sensibility to my advantage. If you carry a firearm openly, then understand that most will not think that you are Joe Schmo with a gun, but someone with a gun for a "purpose". Your purpose is self defense, however they don't know that.

If you act like there is nothing different about your routine, then likely no response will be elicited.

However, there are certain caveats to this advantage. For one, you must be wearing clothes that assume purpose. Your dirty t-shirts and khaki cargo pants are not going to cut it while openly carrying a firearm. People will assume you lack "reason" to be carrying. Assumed reasons might be probation officer, bail enforcement officer, police officer, FBI agent, Secret Service; it does not matter. In order to avoid any kind of conflict, it is more sensible to dress around your gun in a way that will avoid those conflicts.

It is funny that on gun boards, advice is suggested to avoid conflict at all costs; prepare for conflict, strategize the best way out of a situation without escalation, and prepare to retreat if possible if conflict arises. However, there are those that assume that you should wear whatever you feel like wearing, whatever goes along with your lifestyle, whatever won't impede on your rights. This is ridiculous logic given the current socio-political climate that gun owners live in. It is wise to wear clean, nice clothes while carrying a firearm openly.

Your Metallica t-shirt or ragged John Deere tank top is not going to satiate the conflicting thoughts that most people have when they encounter an armed citizen. A buttoned down oxford shirt or a tucked in polo has a better likelihood of not provoking the fearful masses.

Hygiene, politeness, an unassuming manner, relaxed, calm, poise; all of these will contribute to your ethos; your moral terpitute, competence, arete, eunoia; these will all assist in you not being bothered.

This is simply my risk calculation. I utilize it to avoid confrontation with people and police alike.
    Last edited by steveforopen; December 12th, 2008 at 02:08 AM.
    Open Carry: it's whats for dinner.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Ya know what? I think I will dig out that old Cannibal Corpse t-shirt and wear it to an OC lunch. Or maybe the Jeff Dahmer shirt will be better? LOL totally j/k!

I do have an old " I don't dail 911" shirt though...doesn't fit so well though as it used to.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Erie County)

It's your funeral.

In all seriousness though; in a group of people that are also carrying firearms at a luncheon? Okay, do whatever feels right. However, BACK IN THE REAL WORLD, people consider others sensibilities. There is a brightline here, and I agree that one should be able to follow their individual pursuits, almost, however they feel right. However, if you fail to consider how others will react to your behavior, then you are just as ignorant as the person who overreacts.
    Open Carry: it's whats for dinner.

(Berks County)

Good points Steve. Though I do need to invest myself in a few "I am not a cop" T shirts. Worn neatly, of course.

To cold weather OC, heres what works for me; hoodies, or sweatshirts. Cut a small incision inside the bottom hem. Attach either 2mm shock cord or paracord to a safety pin and feed it in the hole, around the bottom of the garment, and back out the hole. Either tie off the shock cord, or puta slide-lock on the paracord. That way, you can keep the bottom of the garment tight around your waist, making OC over it easier and less intrusive on the draw.

(Lackawanna County)

I found that if the hoodie isn't too baggy, there's no fit or draw issues and no modifications required for that. Also makes it seem more neat for the reasons steveforopen pointed out. The bottom of my hoodie only hangs down about an inch below my belt. I do agree on appearing "neat & clean." I know when the wind whips up and it's cold out I have to remind myself why I can't wear my ski mask. Maybe if I had a giant logo that said SWAT or something, but I don't as I'm not. It sucks, but it helps from confusion by the sheeple. Just a shame that there's no "classy" way to OC when wearing a suit. Drop leg doesn't scream fancy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast