Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Handgun Sight Picture

Most hanguns you hold dead on target where you want to hit. I read that others you have to hold in the 6 o clock position under where you want to hit. Is this true? I just don't understand why you would design a gun to hold under where you want to hit on purpose. If this is true it my be what my problem is with a gun I have now. I always hit high and you can see the sights are designed so that the gun soots high, the rear sight is higher than the front sight.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Handgun Sight Picture

(Tioga County)

THe 6 o'clock hold is from the old style bullseye shooting. the sights were adjusted so that when you put " the ball on the stick" you would hit the center of the bullseye. it is more accurate than guessing where the center of the target is.

(Beaver County)

Some call holding on the center of the target, battle sights and holding at the 6'oclock position, lolipop or target sight. The later is by some folks better for bulleye shooting, where you see just a little light between bullseye and sight. You should shoot allot trying one then the other and see which works best for you IMO.
    This also applies to rifle shooting. I personnally like the battle sight technique since I hunt alot. It seems if your shooting bulleye alot the 6'oclock position is better and seems your pistol is set up for that. You didn't say what distance your shooting. That could make a difference. Also are you happy with your groups, different ammo shoots differently in the same gun. so you could try changing ammo. Also if you are happy with your groups and shooting distance and really want to choose battle sight technique and have fixed sights, a pistol smith could raise your front sight by adding metal to it. Just a few suggestions happy shootining.

(Luzerne County)

Depends. Under 25yds some handguns will shoot at the top of the front sight, while others like the Beretta 92FS will shoot to where the front sight dot is covering.

Of course you could always adjust your sights to have the bullet hit where you want.