Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default My first somewhat Open Carry experience.

Normally I CC, just a personal preference, not a judgement on others actions. Last night I was invited out to a coffee shop to see a friend of a friends first art exhibit. So getting dressed I quickly discovered my Glaco IWB holster wasn't going to work. Belt was too thin for the claw, and the pants couldn't comfortably close. The friend I was going with said I should just leave it at home. Instead I broke out the Bladetech and had my G27 under my suit jacket. If the jacket was open my firearm was visible. So with a few flyers (thanks guys) I head out.

About 20 minutes later through the snow and the drivers usually associated with nighttime and the first snow of the season we arrive. I've still got my overcoat on, and when we open up the door I notice a multitude of Obama stickers around the frame. Yeah my heart sank. I really didn't want to start an issue on a happy day that was important to the friend I was with. So I went in, kept my overcoat on and after a minute engaged the Manager in conversation. After a bit of chatting I brought up the subject. My thought was I'd rather quietly talk to the manager about it then have it brought up to him by someone who might blow it out of proportion. She told me that while it wasn't something she would do, she said as long as I was doing it legally I was welcome in the shop, and thanked me for giving her a heads up. I gave her a flyer so she could have information if anyone asked and hung up my overcoat.

It took about an hour there but finally a person asked me about what/why I was carrying. Some other friends who were there know of my choice, but never knew that I actually carried. I explained a bit about it, used a bit of humor to help out in "disarming" them and gave out a couple more flyers. I tried to tie the 2a into their beliefs about art as a statement and it seemed to "click" for a few of them. I didn't see a negative reaction in what I figured to be hostile territory.

I want to thank you guys for the knowledge to effectively communicate the reasons behind my choice to carry. I think it ended up being a damn good night.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: My first somewhat Open Carry experience.

Congrats!

But be careful, you might get hooked...

Rep given.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
    Normally I CC, just a personal preference, not a judgement on others actions. Last night I was invited out to a coffee shop to see a friend of a friends first art exhibit. So getting dressed I quickly discovered my Glaco IWB holster wasn't going to work. Belt was too thin for the claw, and the pants couldn't comfortably close. The friend I was going with said I should just leave it at home. Instead I broke out the Bladetech and had my G27 under my suit jacket. If the jacket was open my firearm was visible. So with a few flyers (thanks guys) I head out.

About 20 minutes later through the snow and the drivers usually associated with nighttime and the first snow of the season we arrive. I've still got my overcoat on, and when we open up the door I notice a multitude of Obama stickers around the frame. Yeah my heart sank. I really didn't want to start an issue on a happy day that was important to the friend I was with. So I went in, kept my overcoat on and after a minute engaged the Manager in conversation. After a bit of chatting I brought up the subject. My thought was I'd rather quietly talk to the manager about it then have it brought up to him by someone who might blow it out of proportion. She told me that while it wasn't something she would do, she said as long as I was doing it legally I was welcome in the shop, and thanked me for giving her a heads up. I gave her a flyer so she could have information if anyone asked and hung up my overcoat.

It took about an hour there but finally a person asked me about what/why I was carrying. Some other friends who were there know of my choice, but never knew that I actually carried. I explained a bit about it, used a bit of humor to help out in "disarming" them and gave out a couple more flyers. I tried to tie the 2a into their beliefs about art as a statement and it seemed to "click" for a few of them. I didn't see a negative reaction in what I figured to be hostile territory.

I want to thank you guys for the knowledge to effectively communicate the reasons behind my choice to carry. I think it ended up being a damn good night.
    Outstanding! Handled as well as any situation I have read here. Be careful or you might find yourself coming over to the dark side

Very well done.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Outstanding! Handled as well as any situation I have read here. Be careful or you might find yourself coming over to the dark side

Very well done.
    Hummm let me see. Concealed, covered, blocking the light from entering ones eyes.
    Open, out in the light, visible, able to be seen.
    So which is the Dark side again?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    Hummm let me see. Concealed, covered, blocking the light from entering ones eyes.
    Open, out in the light, visible, able to be seen.
    So which is the Dark side again?
    Please no... *buries face in hands*
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Venango County)

Good job.

To give you some other alternatives:

I sometimes take off my jacket and will place it over the shoulder on the side that has the holstered firearm while walking or shopping. It still can get hot though. You may be able to fold and hold the jacket to cover the firearm as well.

In a sit-down eatery and assuming not going to the buffet, I will remove my arms from the coat when I sit down. Then I slide the jacket straight down from my shoulders ensuring to cover the firearm with a part of the jacket. The jacket gets wedged between me and the seatback.

Or you can wear a light cover shirt underneath the jacket/coat. I find this bulky though.

I use a shoulder holster with a Ruger Security Six with 6" barrel, so it is not inconspicuous. However, the rig, gun and grips are all black. No one has ever noticed. I wear dark shirts, so even if anyone saw the shoulder straps, they may think they are suspenders!
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Lackawanna County)

Congrats on a successful outing (pun intended)

I've discovered that the shoulder holster (and my ever-present handi-talkie on my waist with the mic up high tends to eliminate a lot of questions.

As a matter of fact, the radio gets more attention than the gun ever does.

Same with OWB...the radio gets all the attention...and the two are completely unrelated!
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Berks County)

OMG, you infiltrated an enemy encampment, revealed your presence, and came out in one piece with both hands swinging at your sides instead of in matching bracelets?????? What is this world coming to? lol

Good job.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

Yeah, good job, especially at an art show! So, who was the artist, and what was the medium?

(Montgomery County)

Her name is Rachel Acquaviva. She does amazing pen and ink work on natural paper. It was her first solo show and it was at Jenkintown Java. She did an interesting series of baby animals that looked like they would be awesome for a kids room.

As to the "enemy encampment" comment- shhhhh Uncle Sam might want me back. I still got it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast