Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Any eagle scouts

My nephew is becoming an eagle scout this weekend and I was wondering, what is the appropiate dollar gift in honor of his achievement? Thanks, Jay

(Centre County)

Default Re: Any eagle scouts

IMHO the achievement is reward enough in itself.

Eagle Scout Oct 2000, Juniata Valley Council, PA Troop 83

(Dauphin County)

Holy crap, they threw me out after like a week! LOL Most anyone who has done something that is not self serving or heroic will say the exp is its own reward. What a bunch or crap. If he's a good kid and deserves it, then be generous. It seems that around the vietnam war era we stopped paying attention to the people who did things that would make most run and hide. Ever notice that most crowds have several vets. There are more than anyone realizes but they aren't holding signs or anything because ultimately service to country or others is done on a feeling of duty, charity, or patriotism. They don't scream look at me i'm a hero and probably never will however, I promise you they feel all choked up inside when someone notices and appreciates what they've done or tried to do. Look at the faces of vets at a fireworks display for fourth of july or veterans day! I promise you they aren't seeing the red whit and blue bursts the way you do. Their minds eye has painted a picture they'd probably rather forget. Be generous the world will always need heroes even the ones you can't see.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks, guys, I just didn't want to make a social mistake. Jay

(Centre County)

Jay,
    If you would want to give him a monatary give there is no socail mistake there, I did recive gifts at my eagle scout court of honor. The most treasured gift I recived was a Kbar knife engraved with my name and the date of my court of honor, it was presented to me by the Nittany Leathernecks which is our local detatchment of the Marine Corps League. Really the decision is up to you, there is nothing wrong with being generous in your gift but I know I did not expect money when I achieved that rank.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Dave View Post
    Holy crap, they threw me out after like a week! LOL
    I assume you are refering to the BSA? I sence sarcasm though it is difficult to tell via typing

Most anyone who has done something that is not self serving or heroic will say the exp is its own reward. What a bunch or crap.
    I dont see how that is a bunch of crap, I didnt become an Eagle Scout for anyone other than myself, not my parents, or my scoutmaster or my friends. Myself. I enjoyed every aspect achiveing this rank, even the eagle project

If he's a good kid and deserves it, then be generous.
    I agree and have no problem with someone who wants to be generous at this time though; at least in my area, this is not expected.

It seems that around the vietnam war era we stopped paying attention to the people who did things that would make most run and hide. Ever notice that most crowds have several vets. There are more than anyone realizes but they aren't holding signs or anything because ultimately service to country or others is done on a feeling of duty, charity, or patriotism. They don't scream look at me i'm a hero and probably never will however, I promise you they feel all choked up inside when someone notices and appreciates what they've done or tried to do. Look at the faces of vets at a fireworks display for fourth of july or veterans day! I promise you they aren't seeing the red whit and blue bursts the way you do. Their minds eye has painted a picture they'd probably rather forget. Be generous the world will always need heroes even the ones you can't see.
    While I understand the point you are making here and agree. I'm not quite following as to how this pertains to Jay's question other than you feel that it is worthy to be generous as you equate the feeling of his achievment to that of the feeling of serving for our country.
    Dave, Its quite possible we have the same POV and I'm just not connecting it at all, I've been at work for the last 24hrs and am kinda tired. I feel very strongly that earning the rank of Eagle Scout should be a thing of honor and it should be difficult. The Eagle Scouts in my troop, as I was growing up, were always people to look up to in the upper youth leadership positions. This was quickly a role I had taken as I grew up in scouts with out attaining my Eagle. It was almost to late by the time I got around to completing it for myself but when I look back, that is the reason I did complete it, for MYSELF (which for others prosper).

I appologize in advance if some of this rant doesnt make anysence, I'll look at it later and if need be clairafy or rectify.

Cheers, Josh

(Beaver County)

Thumbs up Re: Any eagle scouts

when I made eagle... I had a dinner afterwards and alot of gifts were given to me mostly money but a couple knives, keepsakes, little things, a couple gift certificates things like that.... I am sure he will appreciate anything he gets as I did...

(Blair County)

class of 03, Penn's Woods Council, Troop 30

I got some small gifts, a engraved knife with the date on one side and "Eagle Scout" on the other. I didn't get much, but what I wanted I got. My bud was going off to boot camp just a few days after I wanted him to be there so we rushed a smaller ceremony.

(Beaver County)

Talking Re: Any eagle scouts

Quote Originally Posted by scoutjoe View Post
    class of 03, Penn's Woods Council, Troop 30

I got some small gifts, a engraved knife with the date on one side and "Eagle Scout" on the other. I didn't get much, but what I wanted I got. My bud was going off to boot camp just a few days after I wanted him to be there so we rushed a smaller ceremony.
    you were pretty close to me... I was a class of 03 as well .... troop 490 out of schellsburgh

(Dauphin County)

Cool Re: Any eagle scouts

No medic I was rantin and ramblin. What "I" couldn't express is that others should appreciate these achievements as rewardable even though that wasn't the motivation for the individual. Our outlooks may be similar now, but when I was in school I may have been your polar opposite. I wasn't "actually" thrown out of scouts but probably shoulda been. Took me allot longer to mature than most and eventually I'll get there! Its too bad you been up 24hrs have a cuppa joe and a good nights sleep on me. Enjoy.

(Montgomery County)

I dated a Eagle Scout when I was a LOT younger. Does that count?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast