Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Wrong Information in PSP's "Information for PA Firearm Purchases" pamphlet?

So I bought my first pistol today (Ruger MkIII) and with it the shop handed me this pamphlet from the PSP http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/lib/psp/SP4-135.pdf about buying firearms and basic firearm safety.
    Now this is the same pamphlet that I had an argument with a friends dad about a couple weeks ago because he insisted that face-to-face transfers of ANY guns are illegal and I told him long-arms could be transferred between PA residents with no paperwork then he showed me this pamphlet. I was only given this pamphlet by the shop now that I bought a pistol and never for the several rifles I bought so it seems to me that it is only regarding pistols but it reads "firearms" throughout it.

This is the part in question:

Q. What do I need to do if I want to sell or transfer a firearm to a friend?
    A. You must have a licensed firearm dealer or sheriff process the transaction. The $3.00 surcharge does not apply. There will be a $2.00 Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) background check done on the intended recipient of the firearm, to ensure the individual is eligible to acquire the firearm

It doesn't specify "handgun" and it goes against everything said here, so whats the deal?

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Wrong Information in PSP's "Information for PA Firearm Purchases" pamphlet?

The information is not wrong. "Firearms" transfers (not including parent-child or grandparent-child transfers) require an FFL or County Sheriff.

Rifles and shotguns are not "firearms" according to Section 6102 of the Uniform Firearms Act:

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, and shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzel of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

All firearms are guns, but not all guns are firearms.

Default Re: Wrong Information in PSP's "Information for PA Firearm Purchases" pamphlet?

I see, it would be nice if they would specify that rifles and shotguns are not firearms. How many other people read that pamphlet and were confused by it?

Probably the same amount, that believe rule #2 sent out with LTCF's.........

(Indiana County)

Did the PSP know exactly what they were saying, and how people might misinterpret it? Maybe. Probably. Doesn't matter.

Rule #2 sent out with LTCFs? The only thing in the envelope with my LTCF was the LTCF, nothing else. So, I didn't even get Rule #1 with my LTCF.