Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default Restoration of rights for a felon

OK, I have a friend (I know, you've heard that one before, but this really is about a friend) who was interested in getting her LTCF, and a handgun for defense. In discussing it with her it came up that her fiance is a convicted felon. He did 4 years in prison in New York for drug dealing 13 years ago. After that he reformed his wayward life and became a born again good citizen. He has had no legal trouble since then.

I searched the forum and found this thread
    http://forum.pafoa.org/question-answ...tml#post352059

and after reading that thread, and all the others linked to in it, and a few others I advised her against getting a firearm. Now my questions:

1)He is interested in trying to get his rights restored. How would he go about that, and who would he need to contact? If they can do it without involving a lawyer that would be good, as they probably can't afford one.

2)Can I legally visit them, or have them over for a visit given that I own guns, have guns in my apartment, and carry a gun?

ETA: They live in Allentown.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

Default Re: Restoration of rights for a felon

Quote Originally Posted by truecrimson View Post
    OK, I have a friend (I know, you've heard that one before, but this really is about a friend) who was interested in getting her LTCF, and a handgun for defense. In discussing it with her it came up that her fiance is a convicted felon. He did 4 years in prison in New York for drug dealing 13 years ago. After that he reformed his wayward life and became a born again good citizen. He has had no legal trouble since then.

I searched the forum and found this thread
    http://forum.pafoa.org/question-answ...tml#post352059

and after reading that thread, and all the others linked to in it, and a few others I advised her against getting a firearm. Now my questions:

1)He is interested in trying to get his rights restored. How would he go about that, and who would he need to contact? If they can do it without involving a lawyer that would be good, as they probably can't afford one.

2)Can I legally visit them, or have them over for a visit given that I own guns, have guns in my apartment, and carry a gun?

ETA: They live in Allentown.
    Your friend needs to deal with the jurisdiction that prosecuted him. If it was a federal conviction, he needs a Presidential pardon. If it was a New York state conviction under state law, then he needs to use whatever system they have in NY to restore rights. He needs a New York lawyer. If he can't afford one, then he shouldn't waste his time trying, because he could muddy the waters and prevent any future relief if he screws it up now.

He can be in the vicinity of firearms as long as he has no control or access. He can't go to the range with you and shoot your guns, he can't be in a room with unsecured guns sitting in a rack, he can't touch a gun, but there's no legal issue with you wearing a gun while talking to him.