Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Re: Pioneer Gun Shop (Blair County)

I really like the shop and everything in it . Its like a small museum, but the service is Ice cold ! I have had to many bad attitude experience's there to go back. I'm not asking for someone to hold my hand and show me around the shop while whispering sweet words in my ear. That's not what I want. And I know that the man lost his wife and son in a short period , but if you cant handle it, and run the gun shop at the same time with a little respect for the people that come in your shop, then you need to close down !!!
    Last edited by Bill3452; February 13th, 2009 at 05:15 AM. Reason: misplaced word

(Cambria County)

All I gotta say is bad customer service. I haven't been there in about 2yrs but I'm sure its not any better.

(Centre County)

PGS is one shop that I've been meaning to swing by, since I love old WWII stuff.

But hearing all the story, I should prolly not go. Since whenever I go to gunshop, I usualy take my Fiance, and she'll prolly mouth off something if we get shit service, which in all likely hood, I'll get.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Blair County)

i've been to pgs 3 times in the past month, i was interested in buying my first handguns. my first trip was purely for pricing, and as many other people have shared, bob was kind of an ass. helpful, but short and gruff. i returned about 2 weeks later, and even before i expressed that i wanted to make a purchase bob was very pleasant. we even chatted a bit while i was filling out my papers. less than a week later i decided that the 9mm i bought was ok for the house, but since i got my permit i wanted a .45 for my hip (becoz i believe bigger is always better ) and bob still had a pretty pleasant demeanor. i can see where he can be an unlikeably guy and can be rude to customers, but i kinda like bob, i just believe he's very settled in his ways and as with most old people doesnt care what other people think with a very "like it or leave it" attitude, and i do agree that its not the best way to run a business, but there must be something possitive about his shop, its only been around for wut like 50 years? i would definately continue to shop at pioneer, especially becoz its a 2 min drive from my house, but even if i do catch bob on a bad day the most i have to put up with him is about 10-15 mins, i think i can handle that.

advice for people that have never been to pioneer; do your research online and go in knowing exactly what you want, even if you dont plan on purchasing yet have something specific you want to look at, so you dont linger.

(Blair County)

Hello all. I've been dealing with Bob for close to 30 yrs. Some of the best guns I've ever owned have been purchased there, and a few bad ones too. (Those weren't Bob's fault, just not a good gun for me.) I also agree with nearly everyone who has posted here, about Bob's demeaner, he can be quite terse even crotchety at times, but as for my personal interaction with him, it's always been pleasant. I'm sure everyone on here has had many bad days, and I suppose at his age the length of time he has been in business he's had his share of "ass wipes" to deal with. I also agree with the statement that you catch more flies with honey, then you ever will with vinigar, but Bob is just set in his ways. If you want to deal with him great, if you don't like others have posted, simply take your biz elsewhere. I feel for his severe loss, having his only son murdered, then his wife virtually died of broken heart from the loss a week later. It was about another week after that, that their dog died. He's been thru a hell of a lot, and even though I don't personally sociallize with Bob, he's always treated me right. I've never overpaid for weapon in his store either. Good luck to all and always stay safe.
    Last edited by MrGlock45; October 22nd, 2009 at 10:26 AM.
    NRA, USCCA, GT, GSSF, DC, PAFOA, AGO, DH

I'm adding to this too.

This guy is beyond "set in his ways" he is a downright jerk,. He's rude, and mean. The ONLY reason he is still in business is not because of his good business tactics, but simply because he is in Altoona, a small city, and he's selling guns. That's like selling food or beer. You'll ALWAYS get business.

Everyone knows what a severe jerk he is, plus his ATF troubles. Goes to show if he was dealing in anything else he would have been out of business years ago.

One thing I did notice. If you go in there, nicely dressed, and act polite and mannerly. That's when he is the rudest. I saw people come in there being a total PA redneck. Rude, uncouth, ignorant....etc. And he was father "freaking" Christmas to them. I've seen it several times.
    Last edited by Franky4Fingers; November 16th, 2009 at 03:54 PM.

(Blair County)

I like his attitude. I think its funny dealing with him. I dont consider him an asshole, its just the way he is. Not like some of the younger cocky clerks at other local shops. When they are rude to you they are doing it to be an asshole. He is just grumpy. He has good prices on many items and has gone out of his way to help me before.

(Blair County)

But hearing all the story, I should prolly not go. Since whenever I go to gunshop, I usualy take my Fiance, and she'll prolly mouth off something if we get shit service, which in all likely hood, I'll get.
    That would probably be the best thing. He would open up if she let him have it. Most grumpy people are grumpy because they just dont feel like talking to others. When confronted they normally chuckle a little and then are the nicest people youve ever met. You just have to break thru

(Blair County)

I have spent enough money there over the years, but I
    won't spend any more. This guy is rude, rude, rude.
    He tries to sell you want he wants to sell you and not what you
    want to buy.

(Blair County)

Thats what salesman do. I love the posts here, reading this thread again today its obvious the people angered feel they are special and should be treated a certain way. 99% of businesses do this and kiss your ass to sell you stuff. Its refreshing to me (as a pretty moody mfer myself) to see a guy doing what he wants with a take it or leave it attitude.
    Maybe you would catch more flies with honey.....but who the fuck wants flys buzzing around their shop. Maybe he is making enough money and doesnt want the extra work or dealing with a bunch of needy f#$#@ers.

In fact Im headed over there now, because as great as some of the other shops are supposed to be I cant find a plain old black webbed military rifle sling....bet he has one.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast