Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: 75 years ago, the 18th Amendment was repealed. Should we do the same for marijua

prohibition is a failure, if you think otherwise you have your head in your ass. prohibition is simply another way to expand the federal government and and a handy tool for plenty of other things.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: 75 years ago, the 18th Amendment was repealed. Should we do the same for marijua

Quote Originally Posted by mpi View Post
    prohibition is a failure, if you think otherwise you have your head in your ass. prohibition is simply another way to expand the federal government and and a handy tool for plenty of other things.
    Prohibition was a failure because they tried to take away something a large majority of the population previously had and still wanted... a drink.

If you think dope is currently under a like situation of prohibition, then perhaps your own world-view is, shall we say, tainted by brown-stained spectacles.

(Lackawanna County)

marijuana has no addictive qualities. any "addictions" to it are purely psychological. if dangerous drugs, like nicotine and alcohol, are legal, i don't see why marijuana shouldn't be. i don't know anyone, or have heard of anyone, who held up a liqour store or stabbed their mother to get money for a nickel bag of weed.

the only downside to legalization, or rather, the decriminalization of marijuana, is that it'll cost a whole lot more than it does now.

not that i would know how much it costs, of course.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post

Yes the same could be said about alcohol, over the counter drugs, prescription drugs, and numerous other substances; but my personal experience doesn't entail abuse of those substances.
    You said the key word right there. ABUSE Many people put all sorts of irrelevant objects before family. Its a shame. But its not the fault of the object.

But rather the weak will of the individual.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post

Sitting around the dinner table with the boss, or the neighbors, or just the family (young children included), what would make you feel better as far as the message being sent? Seeing someone partake in a glass of wine/beer, or firing up a joint?
    I dont think either of these set a good example. Both show to children that at some level it IS alright. But then we sit there and tell them that it is bad for them to do.

It makes us hypocrites in their eye's.

But i personally feel if you take the time to teach your children well and give them all the tools they need, then they have a better chance of making a wise decision on their own.

We shouldnt lie to them and then hope they continue to listen when they find out all the evil things they were told.. arent necessarily true.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Marijuana should remain illegal. period.

You try being a child in a house that the next ounce of pot was more important than keeping food in kitchen cupboard. Really makes a person want that shit legalized, now doesn't it?

Yes the same could be said about alcohol, over the counter drugs, prescription drugs, and numerous other substances; but my personal experience doesn't entail abuse of those substances.
    Lucas.. if marijuana was legalized it would become commercialized and would be pretty cheap to buy at local stores. The reason it would cost a lot for marijuana is because it is illegal. I personally have no problem with pot. I smoked it when I was a teenager and it didn't do any harm.

(Allegheny County)

pot is in that exact situation, i suggest you do some historical research before you spout off so.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Delaware County)

The History Channel had a good show about drugs on it.

In the late 1800s and early 1900s, basically anything went. Cocaine was available in stores, opium was unregulated, etc.

The United States was a nation of addicts.

And even if MJ was made legal tomorrow, people would still complain that it isn't strong enough, or some other crap like the stuff from certain countries are better, etc.

A black market will still exist, so now it becomes illegal to have counterfeit (non commercially produced) MJ? How do you tell the difference?

(Allegheny County)

I'm really diggin' the "think of the children" responses in this thread.

I hope none of those responding in that way carry a gun around their kids, with that attitude.

(Lehigh County)

pot is in that exact situation, i suggest you do some historical research before you spout off so.
    I suggest you expand your scope of reading and viewing materials beyond The History Channel and High Times magazine.

As far as "spouting off", you're the one who started in with "head up their ass" rhetoric, boyo.

Onto another point:

If anyone thinks having a glass of wine or a beer with dinner sets a bad example to children, all I can say is, we're from different worlds... and further conversation is pointless.

Likewise, anyone who wants to cavalierly dismiss any rancor felt for those who would smoke a joint in front of their kids as "think of the children" alarmism.

Of course, anyone under the age of 30 in this thread, without children of their own yet, can pretty much STFU on general principle anyway, since their opinion on this subject, and pretty much any subject relating to things more important than speculation on the next American Idol winner, is immaterial.

I'm getting too old to suffer fools gladly... especially dope-advocating fools.
    Last edited by Robert Kayland; December 6th, 2008 at 09:55 PM.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast