Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AR-15 Election Result Question

Due to the recent Presidential and Congressional election results and the potential impact on our constitutional rights, I am quite anxious to purchase an AR-15 or comparable rifle.

I am hoping that the members here who have first hand experience and knowledge would be generous enough to share that and guide a novice rifle purchaser (at this time own revolvers only).

I have been visiting gun shops (the staff is extremely busy) and find there are a multitude of choices in manufacturers and options. I would not feel any urgency save for the concern of possible upcoming restrictions on our SA right. Looking for a 15 or other semi-auto rifle that erroneously falls into the legislatively labeled classic assault rifle category) that has front and rear sights, forward assist, is durable, thirty round magazine and priced less than 1,400 USD. I have seen the Stag Arms and Bushmasters and have heard of Rock River Arms.

What is the difference in durability, performance or accuracy for the type of barrel material (lining) composition? I prefer to purchase a weapon of an American manufacturer but would appreciate opinions if a European manufacturer is considered to be of comparable quality and availability. What manufacturer, model and options are best for someone who is simply exercising their SA right?

Thank you in advance.

(Berks County)

Default Re: AR-15 Election Result Question

First of all, welcome to PAFOA. Secondly, at this point the best advice you can get in regards to the AR-15 is to buy what you can find. This is no time to be picky.

(Northampton County)

Don't.

Er, to clarify, and to to avoid having to write (10 chars)... It's just not worth it in this inflated market for guns and ammo. If you're willing to pay much more than the value of the same gun 2 years ago, just as a novelty, then go for it. But if your only reason is fear of a ban, I would instead advise to get a nice lever-action rifle or two, perhaps chambered in .30-30 or .44 magnum. Larger mag capacity than standard bolt-action hunting rifles, quick from shot to shot, relatively short length, and unlikely to be touched for AWBs, whether or not an AWB would include a grandfathering clause*. Then, after Obama's been in office for a year or two and there's still no AWB, you can buy an AR-15 and accessories at prices lower than they were before the panic buying, as there will be a great supply and no demand by that point.

*Remember, if there's no grandfathering clause, you're just spending more money for a gun that the government will confiscate from you after they go through your FFL's bound book.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    ....*Remember, if there's no grandfathering clause, you're just spending more money for a gun that the government will confiscate from you after they go through your FFL's bound book.
    GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!
    I'm not sure what you meant by that. FFL's are held accountable for their bound books. Either they possess them, and refusing to turn them over would result in getting thrown in prison and/or Waco'd, or they have retired and the BATFEces already have the bound books. So, the Feds have access to all on-the-books transfers.

There's the topic of privately transferred guns. I'd say that few people have bought guns exclusively through private transfers their entire lives. So when they come to investigate that one gun you bought on-the-record that gives them PC to looks for "assault weapons", they'll find the other guns. This is also a good reason to oppose any and all efforts to expand "background checks", as they make it much easier to track down gun owners... "closing the gun show loophole" is much more dangerous than most gun owners think it is. It perhaps the most dangerous anti-gun measure proposed today, as it is backdoor gun registration. But I digress.

If you're talking about the actual process of gun confiscation, it will be easier than "spreading around" the candy wealth of a baby. Sure, there may be a few people who shoot at the LEOs who come to take their guns, and get Waco'd. But the vast majority of gun owners won't. If they lack the fortitude to possibly waste their 1/129,000,000 of decision for a pro-Constitution president, it's safe to say that they lack the fortitude to risk their life and the lives of their loved ones by violently opposing a confiscation of assault weapons. In fact, I'd bet most of them would turn in their AR-15's with the same pride and self-righteousness with which they pulled the "McCain" lever.

ETA: So to summarize... unless you're willing to pay a ridiculous premium for a novelty right now, wait it out and/or buy a similarly useful gun that hasn't fallen victim to the Great Assault Weapon Panic Buy
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Montgomery County)

I'm not sure what you meant by that. FFL's are held accountable for their bound books. Either they possess them, and refusing to turn them over would result in getting thrown in prison and/or Waco'd, or they have retired and the BATFEces already have the bound books. So, the Feds have access to all on-the-books transfers.

There's the topic of privately transferred guns. I'd say that few people have bought guns exclusively through private transfers their entire lives. So when they come to investigate that one gun you bought on-the-record that gives them PC to looks for "assault weapons", they'll find the other guns. This is also a good reason to oppose any and all efforts to expand "background checks", as they make it much easier to track down gun owners... "closing the gun show loophole" is much more dangerous than most gun owners think it is. It perhaps the most dangerous anti-gun measure proposed today, as it is backdoor gun registration. But I digress.

If you're talking about the actual process of gun confiscation, it will be easier than "spreading around" the candy wealth of a baby. Sure, there may be a few people who shoot at the LEOs who come to take their guns, and get Waco'd. But the vast majority of gun owners won't. If they lack the fortitude to possibly waste their 1/129,000,000 of decision for a pro-Constitution president, it's safe to say that they lack the fortitude to risk their life and the lives of their loved ones by violently opposing a confiscation of assault weapons. In fact, I'd bet most of them would turn in their AR-15's with the same pride and self-righteousness with which they pulled the "McCain" lever.

ETA: So to summarize... unless you're willing to pay a ridiculous premium for a novelty right now, wait it out and/or buy a similarly useful gun that hasn't fallen victim to the Great Assault Weapon Panic Buy
    Wow, way to change the topic. We went from which AR to buy to total gun confiscation in 2 posts. Way to go.

To the op i know it will cost you at least $1500 now but i'd get a colt le6920. You will have a great firearm.

Also, please don't listen to the above poster. It is going to take the gun manufactures at least a year to catch up to this new demand. Who knows how long it will take or if Obama will ever ban guns but if you want one, there is no time like the present to get one. You will pay 2-300 more than before the election but i honestly don't see the price coming down in the near future. While your buying a new ar, i'd look for a bunch (10) of mags and at least 1k of ammo for it.

Good luck in your search.

(Philadelphia County)

i'd say just grab a stripped lower for now, magazines and grab the rest piece by piece as you can. building can give you as good quality as the big name manufacturers for less money but resale value will be lower. i went with the complete colt 6520 and couldn't be happier but i would like an A3 upper as well.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

I'm not sure what you meant by that.....If you're talking about the actual process of gun confiscation, it will be easier than "spreading around" the candy wealth of a baby. ...... In fact, I'd bet most of them would turn in their AR-15's with the same pride and self-righteousness with which they pulled the "McCain" lever....
    What I meant was.....I will NOT be one of the people handing over ANYTHING that I bought with my hard earned dollars. For you to insinuate that most people WILL hand over their guns, is ridiculous.

Peaceful1, I think Guns4fun's advice is sound. I bought an AR on Veterans Day, (which I wll not be giving away to anyone knocking on my door) which happened to be a STAG Model 4. I am new to AR's so I can't tell you which is best, but most are built well and you should get the best that is available and that you can afford. Check around for the best prices as alot of dealers are taking advantage of the frenzy. Luckily, my dealer was not one of them. Good luck in your search and welcome to the forum.

(Lehigh County)

For you to insinuate that most people WILL hand over their guns, is ridiculous.
    He wasn't insinuating. He was flat-out TELLING.

But that's neither here nor there; even if 1% of EBR owners fights back in a confiscation scenario, the government would fold. Figure 5 million EBR owners, 1% of that is 50,000. The last thing the feds want is 50,000 Wacos and Ruby Ridges.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Allegheny County)

I don't think it would take 50,000 Wacos... I doubt if the Government could handle the fallout from even 50 such debacles. Also, you have to wonder as to how many LEOs would actually follow orders to seize weapons on a national scale.
    "He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad."
    Rafael Sabatini's "Scaramouche"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast